MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tech Event 2012
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Tech Event 2012 Reply with quote

I've been giving some thought to doing a tech event again this year, and with the urging from the board, I'm going to start to move forward with planning the event.

I don't currently have a date or venue, but thought that while I'm contacting locations, we could start to discuss classes people would like to see at the event.

This year we will try to run two tracks, a beginner track and an advanced track. So what would be good classes to have? And if anyone wants to lead a session (I know it's hard to say yes for sure without a date and place), post that as well, we won't hold you to it until I post a date/place and confirm you can make it.

Thanks.

Last edited by sir_zman on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the feedback from m showing off some of the features of GSAK at http://coord.info/GC3GBJT that would probably be a good topic. And yes that is me volunteering Wink
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestSideDaddy wrote:
After the feedback from m showing off some of the features of GSAK at http://coord.info/GC3GBJT that would probably be a good topic. And yes that is me volunteering Wink

I was thinking of that too, I think we need both intro and advanced classes. Thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definiely be a rank beginner. I'd like to learn how to design and add a avatar / logo thingy next to my name both here and on gc.com. In related topics, software I can use to design a geocoin.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the date and location set. The event will be Saturday July 28th from 9:30am - 4:30 pm at the Oakdale Discovery Center.

If you are free on this day, please mark it on your calendar. We will need help leading sessions and taking beginners into the park to make their first find. If you can help please post a Troy and let me know.

Kerri sending ideas for sessions you'd like to see, or lead.

Thanks

Last edited by sir_zman on Fri May 04, 2012 8:56 am; edited 2 times in total
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI-Breakfast Buddies will be in the general area so hopefully you can attend both!
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
FYI-Breakfast Buddies will be in the general area so hopefully you can attend both!

Yep, sorry about that everyone; Oakdale needed a date today before sending their summer activities to the printer, the BB wasn't planned yet, and I didn't look at where it landed in the month...I hope people join us after BB for some fun and excitement.
team_geomonkey
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang! I always miss the good stufff... we come back from summer camp on that day.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoot, no good for me either -- some day!!
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh oh, i hope im not in trouble getting people to help run some sessions.

i'll throw some ideas out there of possible courses, feel free to post your own ideas, or tumb up/down my ideas. Also, if you can make it and want to teach one of these, please let me know!

Coin/Pathtag design
Beginners guide to hiding a cache
Advanced hiding techniques
3rd party tools
GSAK Intro/Advanced topics (filters/macros/etc)
Photography for cachers (camera phones/cameras)
Geocaching Dangers (plants, animals, insects), what to beware of
Pannel discussion (this was popular last time), just a roundtable of cachers

what other ideas do you have? We will have 5 sessions of Beginner and 5 sessions of Advanced...or maybe 4/4 and 1 roundtable. so We'll need either 8 or 10 ideas.

Thanks!!! Someone who can make it, please get the ball rolling with a "will attend" on here!!
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can handle a beginner class or too - how to hide/find, caching etiquette or something along those lines.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, we have a start! I believe that Mrs. Mizzou can't be there at the start; is anyone able to teach a 9:30 AM class? A good starter class like intro to caching or hiding techniques? Also it'd help to have some people who can lead a 10:30 class as well.

If you don't want to lead a class, do you have any ideas for classes you think we should include thats not in the list above?
MamaDuck-24
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be glad to help whereever you need me. As long as it isn't too technical.
I'm always good at check-ins and directing people where they need to go.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MamaDuck-24 wrote:
I'll be glad to help whereever you need me. As long as it isn't too technical.
I'm always good at check-ins and directing people where they need to go.

EVENT LINK: http://coord.info/GC3MR12

Great point; help with check in, food management and take a muggle caching are also needed, so if you don't feel like leading a session, we can always use other assistance!

Here is a schedule people can refer back to...I'll keep this up to date:
-------------------------------------------

Schedule
09:30 - 10:00 - Welcome and Social Time
10:00 - 10:50 - Session 1 - Beg: What is Geocaching - Sir_ZMan | Adv: Ask a Reviewer - Gar R Done
11:00 - 11:50 - Session 2 - Beg: Intro to GSAK - tamwood53 | Adv: OPEN
12:00 - 12:59 - Lunch / Caching in the Park
01:00 - 01:50 - Session 3 - Beg: What is Geocaching - Sir_ZMan | Adv: Advanced GSAK - tamwood53
02:00 - 02:50 - Session 4 - Beg: Containers, SWAG, and Etiquette - Being a Good Cacher - Mrs. Mizzou| Adv: Pocket Queries and Caching along a route - Red_Devil35
03:00 - 04:00 - Session 5 - Roundtable
04:00 - 04:30 - Social/Cleanup

Last edited by sir_zman on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:17 am; edited 6 times in total
4nhand
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping to attend/help out at this event, but I will be out of town that weekend. I have some ideas for topics though. I definitely like the idea of beginner/advanced classes. Although with GSAK, there could be an intermediate level.

Ideas:

Types of cache hides/icons (beginner) - what is a puzzle cache, how to make multis/earthcaches not so scary, how to do wheirgos (which gps can run them, how to use on smartphone) and chirps (which gps to use)

Puzzle solving (beginner) - basic hints

Cache construction (not just here's what you might find, but here is how to make your own) - types of materials, where to purchase, good brands, what makes good camo/containers

Property databases (same as 3rd party tools?) - how to use online resources to ensure your caches are on public property or how to find owner infomation on those databases

Challenge caches - what a challenge cache is, what some of them are, how to find them, something to make newer cachers aware of things they could be working on (I wish I had known about the county seats/counties/DeLorme challenges when I first started and did the state park runs in 2009. I won't get back to many of those places and I wish I had known to go after certain caches)

GSAK - always a good topic - macros - what they are, how to find them, how to use them

GSAK - (basic) - how to creat databases, how to load caches into them, how to sort them, how to use filters

Pathtag/coins/trackable - what are they, how to design coins/tags, when to keep and when to move on

GPS units - intro to different brands, what the capabilities of each are

Pocket Queries - how to run, routes, bookmarks

Basic geocaching.com - features - pocket queries, bookmarks, avatars, upload info to your page, use corrected coordinates, save notes, find players, log trackables, search for caches, how to use maps, etc

Just some thoughts. Sorry I can't help out that weekend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: