MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When is a find a FTF?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brooklyn51
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
SNB: Sometimes the coords are off so far that finding the cache is brutally difficult.

Oh, but THAT never happens!! Smile
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this whole FTF obsession to be rather silly. Yeah, it's kind of fun to be the first person to find a cache but when I see 20 logs claiming to be FTF from a WNC outing on a cache that was timed to be published for that group of people, it's pretty bizarre.
Brooklyn51
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the beauty of this sport. You can compete however you want to, for whatever you want to and with whomever you want to. For some it's numbers, for some it's challenges, for others it's the travel and for some it's the thrill of FTF.

Our team doesn't break our necks over FTFs but we have found a fair number and it's always fun to see others at the cache site. FTF parties are really a great time and when everyone claims an FTF that just gives the group something in common. Groundspeak isn't counting FTFs so it can't be interferring too much with anybody else's game.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
I find this whole FTF obsession to be rather silly. Yeah, it's kind of fun to be the first person to find a cache but when I see 20 logs claiming to be FTF from a WNC outing on a cache that was timed to be published for that group of people, it's pretty bizarre.

Agreed. Shared FTFs that are random in nature are ok. But when planned? Hardly makes sense.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mandm o wrote:

I don't have a smart phone and we don't have as many caches published as other places. I'm taller then a lot of cachers, but not as good at puzzles as some, and then on the other hand (or would this be the third hand?) I can leave work earlier then some. I don't see that 'fair' or 'level playing field' have a place here.

Your are right here! Lets hear it for old school pre-smart phone days!
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Moe the Sleaze wrote:

Agreed. Shared FTFs that are random in nature are ok. But when planned? Hardly makes sense.
yup. I'd actually prefer to find them without the BAG. Night caches in particular. Half the people who claim the FTF can't even describe the container.
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestSideDaddy wrote:
Sharknose Bunnies wrote:

IMHO, though, FTFs are a crazy place to cache and it goes a lot better when you just let laugh and let stuff roll off your back. Sometimes newly published caches aren't even there. Sometimes the coords are off so far that finding the cache is brutally difficult. Puzzles can be broken, making them basically impossible to solve. There was even a recent cache where all three of these things happened on the same cache. Very Happy It's that unpredictability that leads to some entertaining caching stories, though.

Hey now... I suspect I know what cache you are referring too...

Very Happy No reason to go naming names, now. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: