MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2012 MnGCA Fantasy Baseball
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: 2012 MnGCA Fantasy Baseball Reply with quote

The weather is nice so it must be baseball season right?? Well close enough, and yes teams are reporting to Arizona and Florida, so that means baseball can't be too far behind!!

The 2012 incarnation of Fantasy Baseball is up and running, with a few twists... those who played last year have first dibs on their teams from last year. Due to the economy and Congress' inability to pass any meaningful legislation addressing the cap and trade issues of our day, no new franchises will be added to the league's roster. What does this mean? Owners from last season should have received an email inviting them back for this year. Those owners have until Monday March 5th to sign up. Those teams not spoken for by then will open up to anyone. The procedure for that process will be detailed when and if necessary.

This year we're also going to try out being able to keep 1 fielder and 1 pitcher from last year's roster, so I encourage you to sign in early and start looking over your roster from last year.

Any questions feel free to ask!

--The Commish
pattenclan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what are these teams you speak of??? Are they made from the imaginitive part of our minds, or are they actual teams??? Is there a fee for this one?? NEED INPUT!!!! Very Happy
starnsun
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be interested in participating. Can we get a link where we can sign up?
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The e-mails went out to last year's owners/managers inviting them to "claim" their team from last year. Last year's participants have until March 5th to claim their team from last year.

Any unclaimed teams after that date will be opened up to anyone here wanting to play. I will determine at that time how I will handle the open teams. Most likely it will be e-mailing me that you are interested, as I will have to send e-mail invites for any open teams. It is first come first served as far as that goes. (Yahoo controls that, not me)

I will update here as we get closer to March 5th what openings there will or will not be.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other significant changes from last year? It was too much work and I got stuck too long with dl players I couldn't get rid of. All team owners need to actually be active participants.
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
Any other significant changes from last year? It was too much work and I got stuck too long with dl players I couldn't get rid of. All team owners need to actually be active participants.

To Red's point, I agree. Yesterday at the Leap Year Event I proposed a change to four of the team owners in our league. My suggestion is to make the league follow weekly lineups instead of daily lineups. Possibly put your lineup in for the week on Sunday night and then let it ride all the way through Sunday. Maybe allowing for one or two changes max during the week. This would prevent the revolving door pitchers and batters from last year (of which I was guilty of too). Pick ups could still be made during the week, but only with players not in the starting lineup.

I think this possible major rule change would prevent two or three teams from leaving the league. To be honest, the daily changes were pretty taxing if you really wanted to put a strong effort into winning.

IMHO
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still on the fence, but agree that last year's rules provided a lot of benefits to micromanagement/dropping/adding.

I'm not sure the lineup changes are all that big of a deal, and don't necessarily think that freezing a lineup on Sunday for one week makes the greatest sense for baseball pitching staffs. It was pretty easy to switch lineups for a whole week in just a few minutes.

However, the large number of roster transactions allowed per week created most of the issues. Reducing that to two per week would significantly reduce the micromanagement.
butcherandswimmer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:

You took all the twins you could get and they had an off year. Fantasy sports are best if you play your best . Also you can change your team ahead of time once a week and the pitchers change when you want them to. Editing that is easy you just go to the day and change things. The only rule change needed would be only two moves a week instead of unlimited and a two day wait for it to take place. It is free and fun so no big deal anyway it goes. The Hotshots are in already
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharknose Bunnies wrote:
However, the large number of roster transactions allowed per week created most of the issues. Reducing that to two per week would significantly reduce the micromanagement.

I guess that makes more sense. It's entirely my fault. Last year I didn't see the point of only having a handful of transactions allowed, petitioned for an unlimited amount, got it, and now hate it. Sorry. Hind sight is twenty twenty. I now see the strategy to only allowing 5 or 6 transactions a week. If that were to be the rule this year, I would be in favor of that. Then you would still be able to do daily rosters, without having to worry about picking up a bunch of pitchers every day! Embarassed
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

butcherandswimmer wrote:
EPMinnesota wrote:

You took all the twins you could get and they had an off year. Fantasy sports are best if you play your best . Also you can change your team ahead of time once a week and the pitchers change when you want them to. Editing that is easy you just go to the day and change things. The only rule change needed would be only two moves a week instead of unlimited and a two day wait for it to take place. It is free and fun so no big deal anyway it goes. The Hotshots are in already

I wasn't the team that took all the Twins. That was another team whose owner then didn't play. I did have a couple which unfortunately included Joe Mauer and my hopeful Nishioka. You're only allowed a couple dl's and if they are on the can't cut list then you're screwed. I had another player on the can't cut list (can't remember who) that ended up dl also.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addressing a few of the issues brought up so far: (And all of these are still amendable until the draft, then some you can't change)

-- From the micromanaging department: The ability to adjust your roster on a daily basis will continue, in a lot of leagues I know people will log on on Sunday night or Monday morning and "set" their rosters for the entire week. Then you really only have to keep an eye out for major injuries and adjust as necessary. Keeping this will allow people to adjust for injuries if they so choose. Player moves/acquisitions are currently set at 3 per week, and a total of 20 for the entire season Similarly there is a cap of 10 trades per season Those numbers are adjustable, but I think having a hard cap on top of weekly limits will discourage micromanaging to the extreme.

-- Also I reduced the minimum innings to 5 from 7, thus making it easier for your pitching staffs to "qualify" their stats for the week. (Meaning your pitchers have to combine for 5 innings in the week for all of their stats/points to count for you)

--With the keeper aspect of the league, my plan is to get all the teams fielded ASAP. (No later than the 10th is my goal, we'll see how that goes or if we need to slide some dates back) Once they are locked in I can have Yahoo generate a random draft order for our draft. That will give you a sense of where you stand in the draft to help figure out the 1 fielder and 1 pitcher you want to keep on your team.

As of now there are 5 teams that are "open" so previous managers if you want to keep your team you have less than 48 hours to re up, otherwise as of Tuesday morning instructions will be posted for those who would like to claim a vacant team.

Please keep the suggestions coming, the point is for everyone to have fun!

The Commish
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job Mizzou!
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the changes in general, MNMizzou.

A couple of thoughts...

20 moves per year seems low, IMHO. That's less than one roster move per week over the course of the whole season. Maybe 40? That'd be about 1.8 per week average, capping out at a max of three in any one week?

If it's commissioner review on trading instead of league votes, I'd be interested to hear what your thinking will be on permitting trades. One of the disappointing elements of last year was the lopsided trades that some of the disinterested/non-active teams agreed to.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharknose Bunnies wrote:
I like the changes in general, MNMizzou.

A couple of thoughts...

20 moves per year seems low, IMHO. That's less than one roster move per week over the course of the whole season. Maybe 40? That'd be about 1.8 per week average, capping out at a max of three in any one week?

If it's commissioner review on trading instead of league votes, I'd be interested to hear what your thinking will be on permitting trades. One of the disappointing elements of last year was the lopsided trades that some of the disinterested/non-active teams agreed to.

I am open to moving the 20 cap up if that's what the majority wants... surprisingly I think if you were to average out the number of moves last year among all the teams it would be pretty close to that number, but we can certainly move it up.

My philosophy right now is that the vast majority of trades will go through. One option Yahoo has rolled out that I am hoping catches on both here and in the football league is the ability to trade for draft picks the following season. Meaning people take more of a long term approach to how they view their team, much the way (most) real owners do. I am not opposed to setting this back to league vote, my only problem with that is that Yahoo's default is 1/3 opposition overturns a trade, meaning in a league of 12 if 4 teams have a beef or otherwise want to block a trade they can. As far as I can tell I can't set that threshold higher. As always I am open to the suggestions of all the owners!
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jade Jays are going to take this season off. Last year was a hoot, and while it was fun trying to parlay my unexpected competitiveness into a good showing, I was a little too obsessed.

I'm going to see what effect the new changes have, and maybe try to get back in the game next year. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: