MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help configuring DNS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Help configuring DNS Reply with quote

Yes, DNS, not DNF. Smile

Hey, I'm looking for someone that knows how to configure DNS. Specifically MX records. I have a cloud server at Rackspace and I thought I had everything setup correctly but when I ran some diagnostics, it's telling me I shouldn't have a CNAME in my MX record.

These are my settings at GoDaddy: (bogus ip address and domain name)
A @ 7.14.27.10
CNAME mail @
CNAME test @
CNAME www @
MX @ mail.geopierce.com

I have my reverse DNS setup at Rackspace to point mail.geopierce.com back at my ip address.

Is it as simple as removing the CNAME for mail?
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Help configuring DNS Reply with quote

Well it's been a while and I don't understand GoDaddy's weird format but I'll give it a try. I assume @ is supposed to be geopierce.com. Since everything points to the same IP address anyway, this will probably work, but isn't a good idea. If you remove the cname for mail, then mail.geopierce.com won't be defined and mail will bounce, unless you have a wildcard entry set up. I think you want something like:

A @ 7.14.27.10
A mail 7.14.27.10
CNAME test @
CNAME www @
MX @ mail.geopierce.com

either that or just get rid of the MX record.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul! Removing the CNAME and adding the A record got rid of the warning in the diagnostics. I'm a developer, not an administrator. Smile
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should your WWW and the TEST hosts be A records? None of my DNS entries use CNAME records anywhere and based on what I read, sounds appropriate, at least in terms of how I use it.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Should your WWW and the TEST hosts be A records? None of my DNS entries use CNAME records anywhere and based on what I read, sounds appropriate, at least in terms of how I use it.

CNAMES are for aliases and make it easier to update your DNS if your ip address changes. I suppose you could use all A records if you only have a few subdomains.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
bflentje wrote:

CNAMES are for aliases and make it easier to update your DNS if your ip address changes. I suppose you could use all A records if you only have a few subdomains.

Right, but I've been able to update my A records just as easily.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: