MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have you ever gotten pulled over for looking suspicious?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sky King 36
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have actually kept track of most of my LE contacts by making a note in GSAK. My first two years of caching especially, I was doing virtually all my caching late at night and it wasn't uncommon for me to be out at 2am. Add to that that I am pretty fearless and, well, not all that good at following rules, and the net result has been just under 30 LE contacts total. All positive.
NeverSummer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only seen red and blue flashing in my rearview once while caching. I had gone out for a FTF attempt when I lived out in Oregon. I stopped on the way at a cache that was near a turnout on a busy road. Apparently, a cop went by, saw my Jeep and took notice. (I was hunting a cache at the time) I then drove along to the next cache, and was pulled over. Apparently my rear tab renewal was missing, so he had pulled me over for that. I explained the issue and showed him my papers. Then I got to explain what the heck I was doing pulled over on the side of the road in 2 different places so late at night. He got a good chuckle off of it, and let me go on my way. No big deal, I guess...but that sure got the adrenaline pumping!
minnstars
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current bookmark list stands at 16 Law Enforcement Encounters. Shocked

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=8c85c81f-41f3-4c03-96be-298c333cfdef

I believe 15 of these were while finding caches and a few are actually near misses (e.g. Muggles threatening to call the Cops). The most notable is when I was hiding a cache and managed to bring out the entire Eden Prairie Police squad (3 patrol cars). At least they weren't giving speeding tickets on Hwy 212 for an hour or two. Wink This log is well worth a read:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=022c3ace-e4e9-48d3-b21a-e884dc44d625&IID=c68b862d-5d6f-429e-ac94-ea427a6b8f8e

This has inspired me to work on an old idea I had ... A challenge cache with a optional logging requirement to have other cachers document their encounters with Law enforcement. Stay Tuned! Razz
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnstars wrote:
The most notable is when I was hiding a cache and managed to bring out the entire Eden Prairie Police squad (3 patrol cars). At least they weren't giving speeding tickets on Hwy 212 for an hour or two.

You need to do this more often. I am afraid to drive on Hwy 5 or 212 through Eden Prairie. Those EP cops are as bad as the troopers (or worse). Great log!

Last edited by tonkaMN on Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnstars wrote:
The most notable is when I was hiding a cache and managed to bring out the entire Eden Prairie Police squad (3 patrol cars). At least they weren't giving speeding tickets on Hwy 212 for an hour or two.

Where did you get the idea that the entire EP Police squad is only 3 cars? Those were probably the only ones in the immediate area at the time!
FYI-best time to speed or do covert caching at night is between 9:40-10:20pm (roughly) as they are at the station in a shiftchange meeting. If they're out and about during that time then they're either on the way to or from the station on Mitchell Rd and most likely not paying the absolute closest attention to would-be offenders. Nifty information you pick up when you go to Citizen's Academy.
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
FYI-best time to speed or do covert caching at night is between 9:40-10:20pm (roughly) as they are at the station in a shiftchange meeting. If they're out and about during that time then they're either on the way to or from the station on Mitchell Rd and most likely not paying the absolute closest attention to would-be offenders. Nifty information you pick up when you go to Citizen's Academy.

That time in Minnetonka would be 5:40-6:20 a.m. and 5:40-6:20 p.m.
spd2662
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were out looking for a cache tonight and one of our local coppers stopped to see what we were doing. We explained and he helped us look and he ended up finding it. Hopefully we got him hooked on the sport. He'll probably be telling all his friends about the two crazy guys in the woods during a blizzard who were looking for tupperware.

http://coord.info/GC1292B
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spd2662 wrote:
We were out looking for a cache tonight and one of our local coppers stopped to see what we were doing. We explained and he helped us look and he ended up finding it. Hopefully we got him hooked on the sport. He'll probably be telling all his friends about the two crazy guys in the woods during a blizzard who were looking for tupperware.

If you were in the woods, why would they care to come and harrass you?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
spd2662 wrote:

If you were in the woods, why would they care to come and harrass you?

Read his log there...
minnstars
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
minnstars wrote:

Where did you get the idea that the entire EP Police squad is only 3 cars? Those were probably the only ones in the immediate area at the time!

Kred told me, but what do I know? Seems reasonable that EP would only have 3 squad's rolling at any one time seeing as how it is only a one Suburb and not exactly a high crime area? Rolling Eyes
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got questioned but it was not really for caching!!

As I was on my way out a good 1/4 mile south of the cache here comes Robbinsdale's finest. Well I did not think he saw me and I have never actually been questioned by law enforcement, though grandpa neighbors to certain street signs, middle aged pedestrians creeped out that I was under their bridge, and once a McDonalds employee who asked could she Help Me?! are all another story. Plus I had just read a log in Eden Prairie where a caching acquaintance almost got a trip to the station when some guy in St Paul with his same name had an unserved warrant. So minor trepidation. Well he just asked if those were my dogs. They were not. Apparently they are not supposed to be off leash. I continued on my law abiding way. Tftc!
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnstars wrote:
EPMinnesota wrote:
minnstars wrote:

Kred told me, but what do I know? Seems reasonable that EP would only have 3 squad's rolling at any one time seeing as how it is only a one Suburb and not exactly a high crime area? Rolling Eyes

Heeeeyyyyy! You both are right. EP has 3 PATROL cars rolling at a typical given time, but if need be they can come in force to where you wonder where all the cars came from!
tesser
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was questioned by North St. Paul police after searching for 30 mins for my own cache that went missing. It was at night so I'm sure someone called in the crazy person with the flashlight under the pine tree. The park closed 10 minutes earlier by the time they came by, so I was given a lecture about park hours. I think when I told him about geocaching he just thought I was talking gibberish and didn't listen. I bet he expected me to be some kid up to no good.

I was chased out of Central Park in Roseville at park closing. I had just found the cache and was heading back to the car.

On another one, while driving, I was looking for a park entrance to get a Roseville cache and watching the GPS screen so I guess I slowed down too much. I saw a cop turn around and come behind me, no lights. I drove very carefully for blocks, turned, and turned again. He followed and eventually pulled me over. He was checking to see if I had been drinking. I explained what was happening, and he let me go.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was kicked out of a park in Grand Rapids a few years age. It was 6pm (dark) and the park closed at 10pm. I argued I had a right to be there but was told that due to the “call” I was “creating a disturbance” and had to leave or he would arrest me. Of all my encounters, of which there have been many, this one bugged me the most.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
I was kicked out of a park in Grand Rapids a few years age. It was 6pm (dark) and the park closed at 10pm. I argued I had a right to be there but was told that due to the “call” I was “creating a disturbance” and had to leave or he would arrest me. Of all my encounters, of which there have been many, this one bugged me the most.

I bet the "law enforcement" officer was just dying to taze you too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: