MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SLR cameras

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
fireman121
Geocacher


Joined: 06 Feb 2005

Posts: 550

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: SLR cameras Reply with quote

I was looking at SLR camera today and have it nailed down to two, a Nikon D60 or a Lumix DMC GF3K, any input on them?
_________________
Remember One does not need the MNGCA to geocache, but the MNGCA does need members to survive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4056

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: SLR cameras Reply with quote

fireman121 wrote:
I was looking at SLR camera today and have it nailed down to two, a Nikon D60 or a Lumix DMC GF3K, any input on them?


Nikon. Hands down.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MNMizzou
Geocacher


Joined: 23 Feb 2005

Posts: 713

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Nikon over that other brand any day of the week. Personally I would buy a Canon over either of those. In the professional still photographer ranks it always seems to be a Nikon vs. Canon type thing. I personally like Canon because I have used their lenses in broadcasting for over a decade now and have loved everyone of their lenses I have used. If you are serious about a D-SLR I would make sure it has the video capability. It may not be something you are thinking of right now, but they all shoot outstanding video. Some of our guys are using their own D-SLR's as second "cutaway" cameras on sit down interviews. If I were buying one today (which I would love to) I personally would go with the Canon T3i.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
X51hz
Geocacher


Joined: 04 Dec 2007

Posts: 218

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannon has much better glass and unless you are shooting alot with a tripod they are lighter than Nikon (used one for about 10 years but have moved on from there hype)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 09 Jul 2008

Posts: 798

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Nikon or Cannon. I have been looking for a new lens and have noticed that there are consistently more available for Cannon than Nikon on Craigslist and eBay. I use a D90 and D300 and love them both, but will strongly consider moving to Cannon when I upgrade to the full sensor. Also, Nikons customer service sucks.
_________________
Ahhhhhhhh, the power of cheese!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4056

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
I agree, Nikon or Cannon. I have been looking for a new lens and have noticed that there are consistently more available for Cannon than Nikon on Craigslist and eBay. I use a D90 and D300 and love them both, but will strongly consider moving to Cannon when I upgrade to the full sensor. Also, Nikons customer service sucks.


You have to ask yourself why more Canon lens are up for sale.. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MNMizzou
Geocacher


Joined: 23 Feb 2005

Posts: 713

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
RudeRat wrote:
I agree, Nikon or Cannon. I have been looking for a new lens and have noticed that there are consistently more available for Cannon than Nikon on Craigslist and eBay. I use a D90 and D300 and love them both, but will strongly consider moving to Cannon when I upgrade to the full sensor. Also, Nikons customer service sucks.


You have to ask yourself why more Canon lens are up for sale.. Wink


I can't answer for sure, but I know the Canon EF series of lenses will work with models that go way back into the film realm, coupled with the fact that a lot of still photographers have upgrade-itis... you know, that whole have to have the latest and greatest because they put an anti-shake servo 3000 mechanism in the lens and mine is only a 2000... kind of like, ummmmm upgrading from the Colroado to the Oregon to the Montana to the soon to be announced New Jersey. As long as the lens has been treated well it can last a very long time! The interesting thing to keep in mind is the lens is the most critical part of a DSLR, so you really have to do your homework on a used lens... I would strongly consider only going from someone local that you can look at it hands on, or a reputable store that will allow returns if it doesn't live up to your expectations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4056

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
bflentje wrote:
RudeRat wrote:
I agree, Nikon or Cannon. I have been looking for a new lens and have noticed that there are consistently more available for Cannon than Nikon on Craigslist and eBay. I use a D90 and D300 and love them both, but will strongly consider moving to Cannon when I upgrade to the full sensor. Also, Nikons customer service sucks.


You have to ask yourself why more Canon lens are up for sale.. Wink


I can't answer for sure, but I know the Canon EF series of lenses will work with models that go way back into the film realm, coupled with the fact that a lot of still photographers have upgrade-itis... you know, that whole have to have the latest and greatest because they put an anti-shake servo 3000 mechanism in the lens and mine is only a 2000... kind of like, ummmmm upgrading from the Colroado to the Oregon to the Montana to the soon to be announced New Jersey. As long as the lens has been treated well it can last a very long time! The interesting thing to keep in mind is the lens is the most critical part of a DSLR, so you really have to do your homework on a used lens... I would strongly consider only going from someone local that you can look at it hands on, or a reputable store that will allow returns if it doesn't live up to your expectations.


I didn't have an answer. Just asking. I actually own both Canon and Nikon prosumer-grade cameras. Not a DSLR but not a P&S either. They're both sweet cameras for what I use them for.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ST11
Geocacher


Joined: 04 Jul 2009

Posts: 159

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Nikon D50 and can share lenses with the kids who also have Nikons. Lenses are brand specific so only canon lenses fit canon and Nikon only fits Nikon etc.

I think the only difference between Canon and Nikon is - If you own a Canon it's the best and if you own a Nikon it's the best. I would take either as top of the line dependent on model. Also you can buy good used lenses for either so it's a coin toss.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 09 Jul 2008

Posts: 798

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some strategic squawking, Nikon just did a $300 repair job on my D300 for free. Long past warranty and they didnít have to do that but they did. Not sure if Cannon would do the same, but it has me thinking nicer thoughts towards Nikon right now.
_________________
Ahhhhhhhh, the power of cheese!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4056

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
After some strategic squawking, Nikon just did a $300 repair job on my D300 for free. Long past warranty and they didnít have to do that but they did. Not sure if Cannon would do the same, but it has me thinking nicer thoughts towards Nikon right now.


The first time I ever canoed the Cannon River I had along my Canon camera. I dumped it into the river by accident. In addition to the obvious water that poured out of the camera battery, and the sand stuck in the lens mechanism, the camera was out of warranty but Canon still repaired it.

I own both Canon and Nikon prosumer grade cameras and can't decide which I like better. Probably the Nikon but ONLY because it has a bigger lens to brighten up my pictures. The Canon is no slouch though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Geocaching Cache Icons, Copyright 2009, Groundspeak Inc. All rights reserved. Used with Permission.