MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geocoinfest U.S. 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
Interestingly it only adds about an hour and a half according to Google maps to go I 35 to I 70 through Kansas, which really it is a tossup which state sucks more to drive through, Kansas or Nebraska, but Kansas does have Mingo... just sayin....

You had better read up on Mingo. It's got issues.

My trip last year was through Kansas City over to Mingo and then through Nebraska on the way home. Don't forget to grab Watt's Mill while in KC and Tarryall while in CO.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
MNMizzou wrote:
Interestingly it only adds about an hour and a half according to Google maps to go I 35 to I 70 through Kansas, which really it is a tossup which state sucks more to drive through, Kansas or Nebraska, but Kansas does have Mingo... just sayin....

My trip last year was through Kansas City over to Mingo and then through Nebraska on the way home. Don't forget to grab Watt's Mill while in KC and Tarryall while in CO.

Without scrolling a lot on the log it looks like the current owner has it back in play, but I could sense some high drama. Rolling Eyes The funny thing about Watts Mill in KC is I used to live no more than a mile from there back in the late 90's. Wh o knew that would be a historical cache spot? I'm kind of amazed it has lasted this long, that creek that runs through there is one of many in that city with a serious flash flooding problem!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
bflentje wrote:
MNMizzou wrote:

Without scrolling a lot on the log it looks like the current owner has it back in play, but I could sense some high drama. Rolling Eyes The funny thing about Watts Mill in KC is I used to live no more than a mile from there back in the late 90's. Wh o knew that would be a historical cache spot? I'm kind of amazed it has lasted this long, that creek that runs through there is one of many in that city with a serious flash flooding problem!

It's even more amazing how Watts Mill has lasted since the hide is pretty darn lame and hidden in a pretty densely populated area.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
Red_Devil35 wrote:
minnesotabrad wrote:
Red_Devil35 wrote:
minnesotabrad wrote:
Red_Devil35 wrote:
minnesotabrad wrote:
Would make for a fun road trip! Hopefully I will be able to make it.

I would be interested in a road trip.

Let's start the planning!

Already working on OtherHalf to get the 'kitchen pass'! Cool

After your post I told the wife I had plans for the 4th-8th of October. She asked if I knew what month and day it currently was? Smile

I can understand her concern, having known you all these years.

I might be up for that trip depending on what kind of candy Brad brings along.

No Bit O'Honey!
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:

That's no toss up, Kansas is FLAT and boring! You're right however, Mingo is a nice perk.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGilby4 wrote:
MNMizzou wrote:

That's no toss up, Kansas is FLAT and boring! You're right however, Mingo is a nice perk.

Yeah Nebraska is oh so thrilling... the only difference I've heard is I 80 isn't as crappy as I 70. Otherwise they both pretty much suck! Plus I 76 kind of goes diagonal into Denver where 70 is like 3+ hours from the border to get to Denver... brutal!!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
TheGilby4 wrote:
MNMizzou wrote:

Yeah Nebraska is oh so thrilling... the only difference I've heard is I 80 isn't as crappy as I 70. Otherwise they both pretty much suck! Plus I 76 kind of goes diagonal into Denver where 70 is like 3+ hours from the border to get to Denver... brutal!!

Nebraska is just as flat and boring. I-80 was under construction for us about half the distance between Sheridan and Lincoln this last summer. The drive to Denver from I-70 isn't bad if you make Colorado Springs a day trip. Besides, CO's oldest is just west of Colorado Springs. And don't forget the virtuals on Pikes Peak. Very nice adventure.
starnsun
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have finalized the paperwork with the Hilton Garden Inn and the reservation system is now live. You can find all the info regarding the hotel and rates under "Plan Your Visit" on the GCF Home page or you can just use this link here:

Plan Your Visit!

Looks like you can prepay and get a better rate!

See you all there!

Shaun
starnsun
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to point anyone who is interested to the GCF 2012 official Ebay page. We are using Ebay as a way to fund raise for GCF 2012 and we have coins, pathtags, and our newest item the GCF 2012 4x4 Cachekinz for sale at good prices. The 4x4 Cachekinz are sweet and would be a nice addition to any collection.

Just click on this link if you'd like to check out our Ebay page:

GCF 2012 Ebay Page!

We update this page weekly, so watch our page for other sales.

Thanks for taking a look and supporting GCF 2012.

Last edited by starnsun on Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4x4 Cachekinz are cool. I just ordered a set of 4.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought I'd point out that anyone attending this event will have an opportunity to find a cache at EVERY elevation level in the elevation grid. It requires a trip to Pikes Peak. WORTH THE TRIP.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
I just thought I'd point out that anyone attending this event will have an opportunity to find a cache at EVERY elevation level in the elevation grid. It requires a trip to Pikes Peak. WORTH THE TRIP.

Elevation grid?? I haven't seen that one. I'm guessing we've got the 14'er covered with the webcam on top of Mauna Kea on the Big Island. I believe that there may be a cache on top of Mt. Evans in Colorado too if your looking for a different 14'er.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
bflentje wrote:

Elevation grid?? I haven't seen that one. I'm guessing we've got the 14'er covered with the webcam on top of Mauna Kea on the Big Island. I believe that there may be a cache on top of Mt. Evans in Colorado too if your looking for a different 14'er.

It's available in the GSAK stats..

Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:

Interesting! I didn't even know that existed - and we only have 2 left!
starnsun
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2012 GCF Committee is pleased to let you know we have just opened up the first phase of the 2012 GCF Store! You can visit the 2012 GCF Store at: The 2012 GCF Store and go to the shop link and check out the first phase of the Store.

We'll have more to come very soon!

See you all in October,

The 2012 GCF Committee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: