MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cross posting cache listings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PC Medic
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
Quote:
First ALL links must open in a new window and may not direct the current window away from the navicache.com domain.

http://www.mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=690&highlight=browser

This is the opposite of what we have seen. While receiving several complaints of links out in the current window for the reasons I provided in my previous post, we have never been contacted regarding them opening in a new window. I suspect a lot of this may have to do with the fact that 'Tabbed' browsing is not widely supported (yet).
PC Medic
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
Quote:
This cache was submitted to GC.com by different user, are you listed as different name on that site?

FYI,

Caches can be "submitted" using any name. If you click on "profile" you will see the "cache owner"

Yes, I am Boxcar Willy. I am also Corporal Stevens, Jim Stafford, Paul Revere and the Raiders, Crueler Crew, Brian Wilson, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, thefirstcrow, Tennessee Ernie Ford, the Guess Who, etc etc.

I submitted the cache because these guys have been touting the quickness of approval. It didn't turn out that way.

Appears you have never had a cache hi-jacked, Others have and that is the reason for confirmation question. If you are looking for automated (blind) approval, maybe we don't over what you seek as some screening has to be done.
PC Medic
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
PC Medic wrote:
Using your own example here http://www.navicache.com/cgi-bin/db/displaycache2.pl?CacheID=4528 I find 1 broken link (which is actually to your site), 1 link to an archived cache page and 3 links to gc.com pages (only viewable by if you are a member and logged in) and not really needed for the post.

They are there only out of my own utter laziness. I copy/paste the cache page to allow those that don't want to use geocaching.com to actually see some caches when they enter my zipcode. Your interface is uncomfortable because I am so used to using Jod's. Your site strips <br> tags and inserts plain blank space which is aggrivating and unnecessary. After spending the time to make sure it looks somewhat like I had intended on GC.com I'm uninterested in changing anything else.

But my point exactly regarding links and why we check them. I am not sure how our interface is uncomfortable, like gc.com you enter a zipcode and press submit. As for the number in your area, there are better alternatives.

By the way, the issue with blank space is not that we strip the <br> tags so much as the fact that we do not. gc.com's form inserts a carriage return at the end of each line, our form interprets these as a <br>.
Copy/Paste should be done from the cache page itself or from a editor that does not insert carriage returns (notepad works well here).

Quote:
This is fine and I must add that one complaint we have not had is in getting a cache approved. Yes we have some minor (and needed) guidelines and yes we review every submission (and may even have some questions), but rare we do not approve them.

I haven't had a problem with GC.com but I have had repeated questions from NC.com approvers about my caches. Especially in regards to adoption which I had no problems answering. Then again I go to great lengths to follow both the rules of GC.com and at least some common sense Smile

BTW -- Jod is Jeremy[/quote]

And yes if someone wants to adopt, contact with both original and new owner are required when possible. See my cache hijacking comments above.

Anyway, I do not want to fill these forums with Hows and whys of Navicache, they are best for our own forum.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC Medic wrote:
I am not sure how our interface is uncomfortable, like gc.com you enter a zipcode and press submit. As for the number in your area, there are better alternatives.

I meant the interface for creating a cache page.

Quote:
By the way, the issue with blank space is not that we strip the <br> tags so much as the fact that we do not. gc.com's form inserts a carriage return at the end of each line, our form interprets these as a <br>. Copy/Paste should be done from the cache page itself or from a editor that does not insert carriage returns (notepad works well here).

Umm, I copy/paste the HTML because the pages are in HTML. I have multiple <br>'s in a page and they are all stripped and left as a blank space. Strange that it doesn't work like that for you.

Quote:
And yes if someone wants to adopt, contact with both original and new owner are required when possible. See my cache hijacking comments above.

I've had a cache hijacked before but I don't see how questioning ME would make much of a difference in this instance. If I was trying to hijack someone else's cache your team certainly didn't provide any protection for the other person's cache. AFAIK I just told you that the cache owner was inactive and wasn't interested in maintenance. You took that at face value.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

< self-censored >

sorry, too much coffee, or not enough
PC Medic
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
PC Medic wrote:
By the way, the issue with blank space is not that we strip the <br> tags so much as the fact that we do not. gc.com's form inserts a carriage return at the end of each line, our form interprets these as a <br>. Copy/Paste should be done from the cache page itself or from a editor that does not insert carriage returns (notepad works well here).

Umm, I copy/paste the HTML because the pages are in HTML. I have multiple <br>'s in a page and they are all stripped and left as a blank space. Strange that it doesn't work like that for you.

Actually no, it does not work that way for me. If I cut and past code to the submission form the entire code remains intact. That is actually how I help member sthat are new to html correct their pages. Copy the code out to notepad, make the changes and test them, and then copy it back to the form.

Quote:

I've had a cache hijacked before but I don't see how questioning ME would make much of a difference in this instance. If I was trying to hijack someone else's cache your team certainly didn't provide any protection for the other person's cache. AFAIK I just told you that the cache owner was inactive and wasn't interested in maintenance. You took that at face value.[/quote]

No, we contact the original owner, or at least make every attempt to. If they fail to respond within an alloted time the cahe *may* be considered abandoned and the adoption permitted also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: