MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Topographical maps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Topographical maps Reply with quote

I am looking for a topographical map for a new 62s that I bought. I have always used the Garmin 2008 topographical map in my 60CSx. I am wondering if there is a better topographical map for a Garmin GPSr. The more details the better. For work and "play" the more up-to-date the trails and roads (especially remote roads) are, as well as having accurate topography, the safer I am out there. It can make for shorter hikes and less bushwhacking, too. Then there are the swamps I wish to avoid. Are there cachers who have used more than one topo map that can give me a comparison. Thanks.

MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not the solution you are looking for, but if you find a topographical (paper) map that you like you could scan it in and there is a process where you can make a .kmz file out of it using Google Earth. Basically you overlay the scanned file on Google earth, match it up with Google earth, then save it and you can then load that onto your Garmin. Like I said I'd only go that route if you find something you absolutely love and have the scanner etc. to make it happen.
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's what you're after, but I've found the free topo maps from Gpsfiledepot to be very good on my 60CSx. I've successfully used them to navigate around depressions or hills. When you move your marker over the contour lines, they give you the altitude. Swamps can be hit or miss; often you can deduce swampy areas from the contours, even if there isn't any "blue" there.

They are getting on four years old, so roads are not reliable. They are also not routable, so you can't use it for navigation (that's why I got a Nuvi). I do not think I've ever seen a trail on one, either.
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the comparisons that I am interested in are the Gpsfiledepot topo maps vs Garmin maps. Garmin's maps are four years old, too. Also, I am wondering which of the maps have the most and most accurate trails and logging and forest roads. How have the Gpsfiledepot topo maps worked in these areas compared to Garmin's topo maps? I'd like a mapping program that covers the entire USA.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: