MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cross posting cache listings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sui generis wrote:
Would those be Jod-hovas witnesses?

No, they would be Mopars.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to one cacher....
Quote:
As an aside, my description of the server farm to my local non techies
was describing the current situation as christmas eve at K-mart. There is
one 16 year old trainee (with downs syndrome) working the cache register.
The line of customers is into the parking lot. Predicably, some leave.
The server farm adds three more identically equipped checkout clerks.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:
the current situation as christmas eve at K-mart. There is one 16 year old trainee (with downs syndrome) working the cache register. The line of customers is into the parking lot. Predicably, some leave. The server farm adds three more identically equipped checkout clerks.

ROFL! ROFL! ROFL! Better watch out rickrich, if the Moparian Jodheads get whiff of this it will mean the end of mn.rr.com accessing jod.com.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am currently reviewing your cache submission for approval and their are some questions and problems that will first need to be addressed.

This cache was submitted to GC.com by different user, are you listed as different name on that site?

First it appears the person in question, Anna Sinn is a real life person. Is this correct? If so are you an acquaintence? Please explain relationship. Is this a TB?

Also the listing contains links within the description and while links are permitted, there are restrictions. First ALL links must open in a new window and may not direct the current window away from the navicache.com domain. Also links must point to pages relevant to the cache and pages which are active (no broken links). Finally, links to other cache pages must point to caches within our database or that of your own 'personal'. You have linked to 3 caches on Geocaching.com and all 3 are currently archived. For these reasons I can not approve the cache at this time.

You may login to your mynavicache account and make the required corrections to this page and then respond to this email letting me know that has been done. At that time I will reconsider approval. If corrections are not completed within 3 days approval will be denied.

PC Medic

I guess it helps to "know" mtn-man. Not a single question.

So ends my relationship with navicache.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna Sinn says...
Quote:
"The people I consider friends are doing marvelous work for the Lord," she says. "I am honored to know these people, who have been part of my life journey."
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

And I have to read this AFTER I decide to double-post my caches and AFTER I just spent a couple of hours double-posting my finds on double-posted caches. At any rate, if anyone who has found my GC.com caches also uses Navicache, I have my physical caches over there now, as well, if you want to double post your finds. Also, Navicache has approved the BB event on the 30th, and GC.com hasn't yet--so far, it'll probably be just Perrine, Navicachers, and myself there at 8am on Saturday the 30th.
PC Medic
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
Quote:
I am currently reviewing your cache submission for approval and their are some questions and problems that will first need to be addressed.

This cache was submitted to GC.com by different user, are you listed as different name on that site?

First it appears the person in question, Anna Sinn is a real life person. Is this correct? If so are you an acquaintence? Please explain relationship. Is this a TB?

Also the listing contains links within the description and while links are permitted, there are restrictions. First ALL links must open in a new window and may not direct the current window away from the navicache.com domain. Also links must point to pages relevant to the cache and pages which are active (no broken links). Finally, links to other cache pages must point to caches within our database or that of your own 'personal'. You have linked to 3 caches on Geocaching.com and all 3 are currently archived. For these reasons I can not approve the cache at this time.

You may login to your mynavicache account and make the required corrections to this page and then respond to this email letting me know that has been done. At that time I will reconsider approval. If corrections are not completed within 3 days approval will be denied.

PC Medic

I guess it helps to "know" mtn-man. Not a single question.

Just came across this so that is why the delay in this reply,

I am Curious.....

Some things were not clear about your cache submission so I requested some clarification. Why would this cause you to end your relationship with navicache.com?
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wooohooo a navicache rep is here!!!!!
PC Medic
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to pop in all over, but So many sites....so little time!
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC Medic wrote:

Quote:
Some things were not clear about your cache submission so I requested some clarification. Why would this cause you to end your relationship with navicache.com?

Are these rules about links a new thing? I have several cache pages that I have crossposted to Navicache that include external links to both geocaching.com and other sides none of which open in a new window. For some reason my cache was approved with little or no trouble.

See here: http://www.navicache.com/cgi-bin/db/displaycache2.pl?CacheID=4528

Now, while I don't particularly care for geocaching.com's policies on any front I really don't want to have to deal with a lot of hassle when getting a cache approved. If someone came to me and told me that I had to change my links because they directed the cacher away from navicache.com I'd be less likely to crosspost. I post to gc.com first and then after it is approved there I copy/paste the HTML that I did for GC.com to NC.com.

I go out of my way to support NC.com in this way and I think you guys could do a little bit to go out of your way to support us as well. Afterall, if you plan to become some sort of viable alternative to Jod and his minions you might want to start with better customer service than they provide.
PC Medic
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
PC Medic wrote:

Quote:

Are these rules about links a new thing? I have several cache pages that I have crossposted to Navicache that include external links to both geocaching.com and other sides none of which open in a new window. For some reason my cache was approved with little or no trouble.

See here: http://www.navicache.com/cgi-bin/db/displaycache2.pl?CacheID=4528

The rules (though we prefer the term 'guidelines') have always been there, but sometimes some submissions slip by. Also, let me clarify something in that we do not say you can NOT have links within the cache description, only that if you are going to have them, create them so that they open in a new window.

Now for why's...

The new window request is done as a courtesy to those who may be going through the list of caches. If they click a link in your cache description and it opens in the same window (exiting them from the site) and then that page also contains several links (and so on) taking them further and further from the original page, it can often be tedious trying to get back to where you started. Requiring the link to open in a new page prevents this and makes it simple in that when they are done reading the referred page, they simply close the new window and are back at the page they started from.

The types of links are for different reasons. If your cache is in a park or about a particular place or subject that has a related web page, it is quite acceptable to link to this page. We ask that you use dom discretion in the type pages (private vs professional for lack of better description) just as we will when approving. Unfortunately experience has shown that many folks tend to change web hosting services and email addresses quite frequently. So while linking to your own page may be great linking to www.myhost.edu/~billybob/cacherelated.html may cause a problem when billybob changes schools or gets bored with running his site. Next thing you know you have a cache with broken links and allowing this we get a site full of them. So yes we prefer you link to your own page (though it is not a requirement) and will sometimes ask questions if the relevence of the linked page to the particular cache description is not clear. If you saw some of the submissions we get, this would probably make more sense,

Now requesting that you not link to GC.com cache pages has nothing to do with it being GC.com, but simple courtesy. If you stand inside of Sears referring their visitors to JC Penny's, chances are someone will come up to you and politely request that you not do that, no difference here. This is especially true if the link is not relevant or needed in order to provide the cache description.

Using your own example here http://www.navicache.com/cgi-bin/db/displaycache2.pl?CacheID=4528 I find 1 broken link (which is actually to your site), 1 link to an archived cache page and 3 links to gc.com pages (only viewable by if you are a member and logged in) and not really needed for the post.

Quote:

Now, while I don't particularly care for geocaching.com's policies on any front I really don't want to have to deal with a lot of hassle when getting a cache approved. If someone came to me and told me that I had to change my links because they directed the cacher away from navicache.com I'd be less likely to crosspost. I post to gc.com first and then after it is approved there I copy/paste the HTML that I did for GC.com to NC.com.

This is fine and I must add that one complaint we have not had is in getting a cache approved. Yes we have some minor (and needed) guidelines and yes we review every submission (and may even have some questions), but rare we do not approve them.

Quote:

I go out of my way to support NC.com in this way and I think you guys could do a little bit to go out of your way to support us as well. Afterall, if you plan to become some sort of viable alternative to Jod and his minions you might want to start with better customer service than they provide.

And believe me whan I say we appreciate that support! I also would like to add that I think we do go out of our way. We not only support and promote an open geocaching community we provide a XML utility to download caches from the database based on your selected search criteria. We do our best to review and approve every cache submission in a timely manor, We do not censor posts to our forums (with rare exception of commercial posts or a few flame attacks on others), we are always open to suggestions and do our best to impliment members ideas into the site. With the exception of a few donations this has been for done out of our own pockets for 3 years now as we do not and will not charge individuals to access the cache database.

Hopefully this explains some things and those of you that already do will continue to visit and use our services, and those of you that don't will stop by and check us out.
PC Medic
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, is it safe to ask...what is Jod?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC Medic wrote:
Using your own example here http://www.navicache.com/cgi-bin/db/displaycache2.pl?CacheID=4528 I find 1 broken link (which is actually to your site), 1 link to an archived cache page and 3 links to gc.com pages (only viewable by if you are a member and logged in) and not really needed for the post.

They are there only out of my own utter laziness. I copy/paste the cache page to allow those that don't want to use geocaching.com to actually see some caches when they enter my zipcode. Your interface is uncomfortable because I am so used to using Jod's. Your site strips <br> tags and inserts plain blank space which is aggrivating and unnecessary. After spending the time to make sure it looks somewhat like I had intended on GC.com I'm uninterested in changing anything else.

Quote:
This is fine and I must add that one complaint we have not had is in getting a cache approved. Yes we have some minor (and needed) guidelines and yes we review every submission (and may even have some questions), but rare we do not approve them.

I haven't had a problem with GC.com but I have had repeated questions from NC.com approvers about my caches. Especially in regards to adoption which I had no problems answering. Then again I go to great lengths to follow both the rules of GC.com and at least some common sense Smile

BTW -- Jod is Jeremy
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

FYI,

Caches can be "submitted" using any name. If you click on "profile" you will see the "cache owner"

Yes, I am Boxcar Willy. I am also Corporal Stevens, Jim Stafford, Paul Revere and the Raiders, Crueler Crew, Brian Wilson, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, thefirstcrow, Tennessee Ernie Ford, the Guess Who, etc etc.

I submitted the cache because these guys have been touting the quickness of approval. It didn't turn out that way.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
First ALL links must open in a new window and may not direct the current window away from the navicache.com domain.

http://www.mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=690&highlight=browser
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: