MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2012 Winter Carnival

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andysuave
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: 2012 Winter Carnival Reply with quote

I just registered my buttons today and noticed that on Jan. 28 there is a geocaching St. Paul event. Does anyone have any more info on this. Also has anyone ever thought about having a float in the parade, I think it would bring alot of attention to our hobby.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know all the details about the geocaching event, other than I know they did one last year where they hid 10 caches around various St Paul parks, if you collected the stamps or punches from all 10 you were entered into a drawing for various prizes. If I remember correctly you didn't have to find them on the one specific day, you had until the end of the Winter Carnival to turn in the completed form (and the caches lived on for a few months beyond the Carnival as well) Not sure if that is how it will work this year, but I would look for it to be a similar set up.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
westy3789 - Jan 23, 2012 8:22 pm

Okay so yesterday it was Cherokee Park (found 4 pirate medallions which btw are going to be really hard to find if anyone out there is looking for them because of the extra snow) but today it was Highland and a little bit of Phalen.

Highland was interesting. I found what I thought was the medallion! It ended up being a geocache box that someone had hid there previously. I thought it was the medallion since it had a bunch of winter carnival buttons from previous years in it and a letter inside of a plastic baggy that said "congratulations, you have found it!" and it was all inside this antique treasure box looking lunch pale thingy, but only to realize it was just a fake

It also included a little notebook inside a plastic baggy and told me to write down how I came to find this and my name and such. It said I could take something if I wanted out of the box if I put something back in it, but since I didn't have anything on me that I could give I just left it as it was.

The box was hid since 2005 but there were only a couple of names written down, one of them happened to be "King Boreas" (maybe as a joke from somebody else?) and the other was Jake I. dated 1/23/2012 (today). So not sure if somebody just put down those two names as a joke or if Jake really did find the same thing I did? I was disappointed though because I really thought I found it!

Jake has found several caches while treasure hunting, and has found the medallion twice.
Manfromwillow
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if only I could find a medallion while out caching...
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manfromwillow wrote:
Now if only I could find a medallion while out caching...
I'll bet thereís a heck of a FTF party when itís found!
Cooler Crew Cachers
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Chapter 2: Regulation of General Public Use
Section 1: Hours and Access
~snip~
b. Parks are open daylight to 11 P.M., unless otherwise posted, and shall be considered closed after 11 P.M. even if the park does not have gates or barriers which prevent access to the park. Some park facilities may only be open during times posted at the facility. No person should be in any park between the hours of 11 P.M. and daylight unless they're driving through the park on a parkway or unless they have written permission from the Director.

Do not jeopardize the cooperation between Saint Paul Parks, the Winter Carnival and Groundspeak/geocaching.com

No person should be in any park between the hours of 11 P.M. and daylight ...

Eight caches will be published on Thursday January 26th. Coordinates for two more will be available on the Entry Form. Details, dates, times, will be on each cache page.

The MnGCA has donated items for the prize drawing. THANKS!
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Code:
Do not jeopardize the cooperation between Saint Paul Parks, the Winter Carnival and Groundspeak/geocaching.com
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
Quote:

Code:

The lure of FTFs ... hope it was good for you.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
King Boreas wrote:
Quote:

Code:

The lure of FTFs ... hope it was good for you.

Like "all" medallion hunters follow these rules? Not saying, just saying...
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if we could get medallion hunters to practice Leave No Trace?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: