MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Northern MN/WI caching group name?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spd2662
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a more lengthy post but it just isn't worth it. You win. I guess I wasn't bright enough to see how "ominous" it is to form a group of people with the same interests. To think, I could have alienated hundreds and cause people to go through life wondering what might have been...thanks for setting me straight and saving me that agony.
NeverSummer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navychief98 wrote:
Unfortunately, a couple of those are examples of groups that made me feel like a hopeless outsider when I moved to the Twin Cities back in 2009. I'm sorry if that comes as a surprise to anyone, but it is my reality.

Part of the reason spd2662 and I brought ths up is because the majority f the MnGCA's activities are in the Twin Cities.

We are also trying to bring the MnGCA's benefits to greater exposure in the Northland.

If this is the case, the MNGCA can be incorporated into events. By contacting the board, you can help coordinate events that can give folks up north stay involved in the community and greater Association.

Calling events something to the effect of "Duluth area MNGCA get together" or "Duluth area MNGCA lunch and luau" would be an idea. The bylaws discuss it:
"Section 3: Association Sponsored Events

All Association Sponsored Events are to be Board approved. Functions may be brought forward by a Board approved committee. MnGCA members are encouraged to host events individually and may display the 'Proud Member of the MnGCA' label. These events are the responsibility of the individual member."

It' a little more work to get it sponsored, but if it's that kind of appeal you're going for, it could work well for all folks in the area, and bring more attention to the MNGCA to those that are unfamiliar.
navychief98
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest "Northland Treasure Hunters"

Last edited by navychief98 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navychief98 wrote:
When spd2662 and I set up our January event, we were tod we couldn't use Breakfast Buddies because that name belongs to the MnGCA, although not registered or trademarked, or copyrighted.

If there is ANY truth to any of the above quote, how lame. Copyright it. Trademark it. Poo or get off the pot.
navychief98
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
navychief98 wrote:
When spd2662 and I set up our January event, we were tod we couldn't use Breakfast Buddies because that name belongs to the MnGCA, although not registered or trademarked, or copyrighted.

If there is ANY truth to any of the above quote, how lame. Copyright it. Trademark it. Poo or get off the pot.

I love it!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hereby copyright, (c) 2012 by bflentje, the following:

- canoe
- canoe rental shop
- coffin
- Canoe-in Geocaching Event
- Jimmy the Butcher
- "how lame"

Wink
spd2662
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It genuinely strikes me as odd that such a huge deal could be made out of something so small. Could making a name for a group of cachers who get together for breakfast and caching once in a while be such a monumental thing? Will it truly alienate others from outside the area and make us feel like we're some kind of exclusive club or organization that others will feel left out of or can it be an inviting, warm and welcoming place? I see other groups from Hayward and the Twin Cities and I've gone to Breakfast Buddies events and I have never felt like an outsider because they had a name for it. I certainly would not feel left out if there was event held by the North Star Geoseekers. The name doesn't scare me off or make me feel like I can't go. On the contrary, it lets me know they are a group of people having fun caching together. The people here in this area are very friendly and inviting and my effort here was to keep the get-togethers going more often so we can chat, share stories, discover/trade coins, etc... because I've had so much fun at every event. A fun name or logo will not change the people here and if someone won't come because there is some kind of name involved why would they come if there was an event with no name associated? I guess I don't get the strong resistance to having a fun name to put on gifts so others can remember the event they shared with us. I like the Northland Treasure Hunters or something like that...it kind of opens the logo to some kind of pirate theme. Keep the ideas rolling folks.

Last edited by spd2662 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeverSummer wrote:
navychief98 wrote:
Unfortunately, a couple of those are examples of groups that made me feel like a hopeless outsider when I moved to the Twin Cities back in 2009. I'm sorry if that comes as a surprise to anyone, but it is my reality.

Part of the reason spd2662 and I brought ths up is because the majority f the MnGCA's activities are in the Twin Cities.

We are also trying to bring the MnGCA's benefits to greater exposure in the Northland.

If this is the case, the MNGCA can be incorporated into events. By contacting the board, you can help coordinate events that can give folks up north stay involved in the community and greater Association.

Calling events something to the effect of "Duluth area MNGCA get together" or "Duluth area MNGCA lunch and luau" would be an idea. The bylaws discuss it:
"Section 3: Association Sponsored Events

All Association Sponsored Events are to be Board approved. Functions may be brought forward by a Board approved committee. MnGCA members are encouraged to host events individually and may display the 'Proud Member of the MnGCA' label. These events are the responsibility of the individual member."

It' a little more work to get it sponsored, but if it's that kind of appeal you're going for, it could work well for all folks in the area, and bring more attention to the MNGCA to those that are unfamiliar.

Now Im a bit confused. It seems that you are saying small groups of people naming them selves is bad, but big groups are ok. Saying no to the Northland Treasure Hunters but yes to the Minnesota Geocaching Association makes no sense to me. Why should size matter?

When I first started caching I felt a bit alienated from the MnGCA, local events and the WNC group. All this was going on around me and I wasnt part of it. From the logs, it looked like fun, but I wasnt a member. I then started to read the stuff above the logs and noticed it all said that everyone is welcome, even non-geocachers. After some deep thought, I came to the conclusion that I am part of everyone and I think Im a geocacher, so I punched in the coords and went to an event.

I dont believe that a named group that advertises that it is for everyone alienates anyone. If the concern is feelings of alienation and not actual alienation, Id recommend learning to get over it like I did, or possibly starting a support group. Well, skip the support group idea. No one would show up because they all feel alienated.

We in the cities have Week Night Caching. We get together, find some caches then go have some social fun. It appears that the Northland Treasure Hunters are looking to do something similar in Duluth. I look forward to reading about their adventures on the forums, and may even join them for some fun when Im in the area. We welcome you to join us for some fun down here as well.
navychief98
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:

We in the cities have Week Night Caching. We get together, find some caches then go have some social fun. It appears that the Northland Treasure Hunters are looking to do something similar in Duluth. I look forward to reading about their adventures on the forums, and may even join them for some fun when Im in the area. We welcome you to join us for some fun down here as well.

EXACTLY! BINGO! BAZINGA!

Now, this is what spd2662 and I are talking about!

FUN. FUN. FUN. FUN. oh, and caching too!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spd2662 wrote:
It genuinely strikes me as odd that such a huge deal could be made out of something so small.

Could it be that your responses are stringing this out? Wink
spd2662
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps. But perhaps his posts are stringing it along and I am just trying to get back on track.

Now, for anyone who I have yet to somehow offend I offer the following (very funny but NSFW, you have been warned so click at your own risk...come on, you know you want to)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-253uBJap8
NeverSummer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spd2662 wrote:
Perhaps. But perhaps his posts are stringing it along and I am just trying to get back on track.

Now, for anyone who I have yet to somehow offend I offer the following (very funny but NSFW, you have been warned so click at your own risk...come on, you know you want to)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-253uBJap8

spd, you keep telling me you're not making or taking this personally. But you just called me out. I just need to call you on that.

I, however, am not making this personal. I certainly don't have a problem with spd or navychief. I also don't have a problem with a name, per se. I have a concern about the creation of a new group in our area and not considering the possibilities--positive and negative.

RudeRat, it isn't about size. I mentioned using the MNGCA because of navychief's comment about helping to bring more attention to the Association via events in our area. If that's the goal, as navychief mentioned, then you can see how my comment fits into the "size matters" point you are trying to make. I'm fine with any size, but, as we all know, it's how you use it that matters...

The OP asked for feedback, and folks have been giving it. Simply because I have a concern that goes against expediting a name calling ceremony for "us", the OP is getting heated. I, and others, have noted some speed bumps that need to be considered before ruining the suspension on this hotrod. If we're careful, it can be the 9-second head turner. Let's not go too fast and forget to tighten the lugnuts.
spd2662
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the OP did not ask for feedback, it asked for suggestions on the name. I tried to redirect back to that by stating that this was all I was asking for. I have been around a while and I always consider everything before I step out and try something so that isn't an argument here. If you look back through my posts you will see that I have never been heated during this so that's just plain silly. Yes, I've called you out when I think you're making more of this than you need to. I said I considered everything so that's that, done, thanks for the advise. It's not a big deal. Let's move on please.
NeverSummer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
I'm happy to continue to have our conversations via PM, spd. However, I'm not seeing how your attitude is going to create the camaraderie you seek. I'm not seeing any demonstration that you have taken my, and other's feedback seriously.

This, by default, is the beginning of creating an exclusive group. If it were inclusive, you would take on an honest assessment of what others in your area have to say. Instead, you are dismissing what others have to say which might pose a challenge to the process of coming up with a name.

edit to add:
I, and many other geocachers in our area, were not able to come to the event to join in the original conversation you had there. Because of this fact, you are going to have to be prepared for the conversation to continue when you post it in a public forum like this. This is my (and for others) only opportunity to engage in the conversation we were not part of. Because of this fact, what seemed like a "done deal" after a great event was actually just the beginning. You came in here prepared to make a decision based on some spitballing at the event, yet there are others that needed the chance to weigh in. I have a feeling that, if I were able to attend and get in on the conversation, you wouldn't have this animosity toward me.
spd2662
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See next post...

Last edited by spd2662 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: