MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shotgun rules

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Shotgun rules Reply with quote

As the season of heavy caching is just starting up for many of us, and groups are forming to go out, etc. I feel it is important that everyone, myself included, understand the official rules for declaring "shotgun". For those who have lived under a rock and so are unfamiliar with the concept, a declaration of "shotgun" guarantees the first declarant the passenger side front seat position in any vehicle embarking upon any sort of a road trip. Find the rules here: http://www.theshotgunrules.com/
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I must be living under a rock... never heard of this rule before. Confused But then again, I almost always go caching alone, so I guess I had no reason to know.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzygirl wrote:
Hmm... I must be living under a rock... never heard of this rule before. Confused But then again, I almost always go caching alone, so I guess I had no reason to know.

Aww, well, if I hadn't cached out Eagan and I wasn't planning on a caching run this weekend I'd join up w/you Smile
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Although it looks like tomorrow might be a carbon copy of today, as far as the weather is concerned. If that is the case, I'm not sure I'm going out. I will likely end up doing some indoor things tomorrow, like shop for the rest of my Halloween costume. Sunday may be my caching day.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.theshotgunrules.com/temp/gaper_certificate_1098514317_9132.pdf
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess if you volunteer to drive you don't have to remember the rules. Besides if they argue about it you just strap them to the roof and the hood like a deer carcus. Laughing
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I need some rulings.

The wife called shotgun and is in the shotgun seat. But wifey proceeds to make comments as if she were in the backseat driving position. Is it OK for me to stop and make her sit in the proper position?

How about this one... The wife is working the brake pedal in the shotgun seat. But she is very quick to react and is hitting the brake pedal far too often and too soon. Its making me nearly lose control of the car, as the braking is not even at all. But she isn't making any backseat driver comments. Can I kick her out of the shotgun seat and let the kids call for shotgun?

-Rick
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driver pretty much owns when it comes to the rules. The Shotgun Constitution http://members.aol.com/JGRUF/shotgun.html covers these issues in its amendments.

Quote:
Amendment VII The Eviction Amendment
Proposed: January 21, 1998
Ratified: January 22, 1998

If the vehicle is forced to stop for a serious infraction of the Shotgunner, the Shotgunner must relinquish his/her seat, if the driver so wishes.
Serious infractions have been known to include spilling alcoholic beverages, spilling any beverage, being annoying, breaking parts of the car and in extreme cases, just being ugly.

I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With pick-up trucks, there's a lot to be said about not calling shotgun--when you ride "-----" (starts with "b" and rhymes with "witch"), you don't have to drive and you don't have to get out in the snow and cold and mud etc. to open gates that are strung too tight and nearly impossible to open. BTW, "-----" is a commonly accepted turn for the middle seat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: