MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Real treasure hunting: intriguing book

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Real treasure hunting: intriguing book Reply with quote

Some of you, maybe even most of you, may already be familiar with the story of the mysterious treasure of Oak Island, a small island off the coast of Nova Scotia, Canada. If you aren't, it's a fascinating story of a real-life treasure hunt that's been ongoing since the 1790's, when two young boys found a mysterious shaft sunk into the ground of the island.

Dozens of people have since tried to get to the treasure, but no one has yet been able to get at it. The reason? The 100' deep shaft was booby-trapped with numerous tunnels leading to the ocean, and not even modern excavation methods have been able to keep the shaft from flooding. So many people have tried to get at the treasure and failed, that the area has come to be known as "The Money Pit".

I recently read the book, "The Secret Treasure of Oak Island : The Amazing True Story of a Centuries-Old Treasure Hunt" by D'Arcy O'Connor. It was really hard to put down. It introduces readers to the history of the island and the various attempts at getting to the treasure. It also outlines the various theories of who would have buried a treasure there and why. The theories run the gamut from pirates Captain Kidd and Blackbeard, to the Vikings, the Spanish, the French, and even the Mayans. No one knows for sure who buried it or why. The only thing that is safe to assume about the hide is that whoever put it there didn't want anyone to get at it easily!

I highly recommend this book if you are looking for something to read that is fun and different (except I don't recommend it to Candy Apple Green, because it might give him some "ideas" for his next cache hide... Wink).
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just heard about that via some information on a new movie coming out after thanksgiving called "National Treasure".

Sounds interesting, though I wonder if it'll be like all those old geraldo specials (like where he tried excavating a basement in chicago looking for al capone's hidden loot, all they found was old bottles and dirt..).
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that movie mentioned last night, when I was at Pizza Pie and I with the night caching crew. All I know about the movie is that Nicholas Cage is in it.

I wonder if it has to do with the two guys who now own all the rights to dig on Oak Island? I'll have to do some looking online... I really wonder what is down there. It might be a real treasure, or maybe it's buried ammo, or who knows.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/nationaltreasure/splash.html

I'm sorry I forgot to post the link!!!!
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like it might be entertaining. Somewhat "Da Vinci Code"-esque. I'll be in Arizona the week it opens. Maybe I can take a break from hiking in the mountains and convince my siblings to see National Treasure with me. I told them I was going "treasure hunting" in the desert when I was down there. My sister just laughed and said that the old gold mines are no longer in operation in AZ. Then I told her about caching, and she said, watch for snakes and scorpions when you're turning over the rocks... Shocked
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzygirl wrote:
watch for snakes and scorpions when you're turning over the rocks... Shocked

Once again winter caching rules Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: