MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geocaching Android App Available
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I most likely won't ever use the app for navigation. But it sure as heck came in handy today while geocaching.
seamusbleu
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone clarify submitting field notes versus logging your finds (or dnf's)? With this app, there is a place under settings to submit saved field notes. When I did that, I was surprised to see that it actually posted logs to the respective caches. I was expecting to have to go to the website and access my field notes, and then do the logging from there.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't bought the app myself yet, but Minnesotabrad was showing it to me yesterday, and from what I remember there is a selection of some sort near the logs that you can choose between on and off, something about post automatically to gc.com maybe... but when it is set to On it goes straight in as a log, when it is set to off your log goes into your Field Notes section of your profile, much like if you have an Oregon or Colorado and upload them.
seamusbleu
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I came back here to post that. I'd have to look it up to say exactly the option, but now when I hit submit, they get put under field notes. I like it that way because I can then add more comments when I can touch type, as opposed to phone-typing.
vexhold
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Droid X and have been using various free apps to GC. I recently got the GS app and like it so far. I like the fact that it's an official app and doesnt have to jump through hoops to access the data (ie no illegal scraping).

The problems I have is accuracy. I had a cache the other day that had me at the curb and pointed me 23 feet into rush hour traffic.

Im starting to think that the Droid is a good way to find the caches on the go, but I seriously need to get a GPSr for the GZ navigating.

But as a noob, I have no idea what to get.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vexhold wrote:
The problems I have is accuracy. I had a cache the other day that had me at the curb and pointed me 23 feet into rush hour traffic.

Im starting to think that the Droid is a good way to find the caches on the go, but I seriously need to get a GPSr for the GZ navigating.

This could end up being a whole new discussion on it's own, but you're right - the Droid is good for getting you to the general area but that's it. Remember, the Droid's a phone, not a GPS. It's good at being a phone. It's not good at being a GPS.
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Android phone (HTC Aria) finally got me off my butt to actually go find our first cache. It's worlds more sensitive than the eTrex I've had for years.

But it's not all that great when I close in on GZ, getting indecisive. We saw nearly everyone using a Garmin 60CSx at a WNC meet back in September, and ran right out and got one on sale. It is even more sensitive than the phone, much more durable, and its batteries last all day.

I still use the Geobeagle app for paperless caching (to view hints, past logs, write notes, check Google Maps, etc.) Tinkering with GSAK has made the 60CSx a better stand-alone unit, but it's nice to have a good backup. As the Android apps improve, the combination will become even better.
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vexhold.... Not sure which cache you were at, but that has happend to me a couple times... Then I realize there is a bike trail that runs under that road full of rush hour traffic...
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vexhold wrote:
I had the same problem when I started caching. I spent half an hour in the middle of the crosstown trying to find a GeoPierce puzzle. Later I learned that puzzles are not at the posted location. Embarassed
seamusbleu
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="RudeRat"]
vexhold wrote:
... I spent half an hour in the middle of the crosstown trying to find a GeoPierce puzzle. Later I learned that puzzles are not at the posted location. Embarassed

Did the realization /hit/ you?
ST11
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got a Garmin-Asus gps/phone which is an android
Purchased the Geocaching app and found it to be well worth the money (I tried c:geo and hated it)
One major glitch is you can't delete individual caches nor mark the found ones so you have to keep a text log or you will be backtracking to ones you already found.
Big pluses though - you can log as you find and find caches near your current location so it's great for cold caching on trips etc. Also you can import gpx files and download pocket query's on the go.

Better yet - GeoBeagle which does much of the same however in geobeagle you can post a find or dnf and it will remove the found cache and mark dnf's with a frown.
I use both in tandem and find it's the best of both worlds. Now geobeagle is designed to interact with bcaching.com however I found out that is not the way to go. set our geobeagle to sync with sdcard or where your gpx files are located on the phone. In this manor you can use the file manager app to move gpx files in or out and sync with various files.
I used to use my GPS60sx and now almost never use it - I do carry it along just in case I loose phone coverage as the downside to a gps phone is you must have 3 or 4g connections to do the querry's etc. This is not required for geobeagle if you have the gpx file onboard.

BTW geobeagle is free. and the Geocaching app is $10 - well worth the cost.
seamusbleu
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ST11 wrote:
...Geocaching app...you can't delete individual caches nor mark the found ones...

If you submit your find to geocaching.com (as opposed to "save and dismiss"), you can back a screen and re-"find nearby caches" and it will exclude the one you just posted.
ST11
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is true if you do a find near me cache but if your going off a loaded gpx file than you can't.
ST11
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are now many Geo apps out there and most are free (ad banners) other are a one time purchase price.

GeoBeagle is one I use the most and it does everything I want an app to do. I don't log real time but rather create field notes. Nice thing is once you log the cache is removed from your list.

The Geocaching app is also perfect except for one giant flaw - you can log your finds real time however the cache is not removed from your list. This is a major pain and I tend to avoid this product for this reason only.

I just updated my phone to 2.1 so the neongeo app now loads. It's a bit early to tell but I am thinking it will work OK but the interface is a bit clunky and it seems more geared towards urban caching rather than rural. But in all fairness I need to use it a bit.

As far as price - it's just $10 for the most expensive and under and it's a one time purchase price - that's dirt cheap comparing the prices one spends for computer software.

In my rankings to date

#1 - GeoBeagle
#2 - NeonGeo
#3 - Geocaching
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: