MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

puzzle coord update feature for mobile

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: puzzle coord update feature for mobile Reply with quote

Love the new puzzle coordinate update feature on the gc.com website. It is really nice to have maps display the puzzle where it really is, especially when there are large rivers in the way and whatnot.

However the updated coords don't seem to transfer to my iphone app (though the new "notes" feature does, and instantly). Would be nice to have updated maps on my phone . . . though it is sort of charmingly throwback to 2003 when I started caching and just drove around trying to follow the arrow it's not the safest.

Anyone have a workaround for this?
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: puzzle coord update feature for mobile Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
Love the new puzzle coordinate update feature on the gc.com website. It is really nice to have maps display the puzzle where it really is, especially when there are large rivers in the way and whatnot.

However the updated coords don't seem to transfer to my iphone app (though the new "notes" feature does, and instantly). Would be nice to have updated maps on my phone . . . though it is sort of charmingly throwback to 2003 when I started caching and just drove around trying to follow the arrow it's not the safest.

Anyone have a workaround for this?

Nope. I don't think they carry over thru a PQ either. My wish is that they would somehow change the puzzle icon if I've updated the coords, and those updated coords would transfer out via my PQ. Otherwise, this 'update' doesn't really do much for me.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The updated puzzle coordinates do transfer over if you use the "download to my GPS" button on the cache page. That's how I've used them.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do transfer to GSAK, though. Unfortunately they are not marked as corrected in GSAK.
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when you refresh the cache details in GSAK 8, the coordinates snap back to the posted ones.

I'll still be putting final coords in the Personal Cache Note. Unfortunately, the PCN doesn't come through in the GPX files yet, but it does come through in the cache data refresh, so I just have to copy-and-paste into GSAK's corrected coordinate box.

Also, PQs and GPX files still don't indicate whether a cache is PMO, but that information does come through in the cache data refresh.

Come on, Groundspeak... just a little further...
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm thanks Moe. Maybe this will inspire me to actually use more of the features of my Oregon (does it have maps on it??) Since I got my iphone before I had the Oregon I usually rely on its maps for the broad navigation and then pull out the GPS to close in the last couple hundred feet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: