MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

X-Country Skiing and Geocaching
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I didn;t think the ice was safe yet. There is an isalnd cache very close to my home that I wasn't able to find last winter due to all the snow cover. Maybe I'll go investigate.
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bookmark list of caches one can ski to and find in the winter. Too bad my list is generally in the Arrowhead region. A little too far away. Not all are along ski trails but they are along trails that are ski-able or on islands. The caches are winter friendly. After today I need to add another cache. I skied to my first "ski-to" cache of this winter today. It was GREAT!

bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the ice really thick enough yet?
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:

Not for me it isn't!!!
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends upon where you are and the lake. Be cautious always!
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:

Not really, but if you run fast enough you don't have to worry.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:

Not for rustynails: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=c86d0e53-45d7-499e-a889-36dae187e70b
butcherandswimmer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snoeshoes are great Almost all parks work and you can bushwack almost as easy as using trails. Three Rivers make you stay on the trails for snowshoes or skies and not mix so they are not for me as I like to go for the cache directly in winter. Some of the parks that have caches without grommed trails are a lot of fun
butcherandswimmer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
bflentje wrote:

Not for rustynails: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=c86d0e53-45d7-499e-a889-36dae187e70b

He should have led the way with a ice spud like I did and he would have stayed dry.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
Taking advantage of the recent cold weather and the extreme lack of snow, I was able to skate to a couple of island caches today! The 3/4 mile out with the wind was a "breeze", but then the return trip against the wind was where the excercise came into full effect.

I'm assuming that you went out to a couple of Iron Range (or is it Iron Ridge) caches.. I'm curious what the ice thickness was?

I saw a local cacher walked out to a cache on Island Lake north of Duluth a week or two ago, which really surprised me as I didn't think the ice was thick enough either.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's ice houses out on Lake Mille Lacs!
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I'm assuming that you went out to a couple of Iron Range (or is it Iron Ridge) caches.. I'm curious what the ice thickness was?

I saw a local cacher walked out to a cache on Island Lake north of Duluth a week or two ago, which really surprised me as I didn't think the ice was thick enough either.

Longville area. About 7", sometimes it looked to be more ice, sometimes less. There was a single fish house on the lake, and 4 wheeler tracks going onto the lake from the access. When I was on the island I noticed human footprints in the little snow that is there.

I don't as much as walk on the lake unless others are, and I do not drive on the ice until others do.
Manfromwillow
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a car out on big Detroit today.....and a guy on a bucket
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
Pear Head wrote:

Longville area. About 7", sometimes it looked to be more ice, sometimes less. There was a single fish house on the lake, and 4 wheeler tracks going onto the lake from the access. When I was on the island I noticed human footprints in the little snow that is there.

I don't as much as walk on the lake unless others are, and I do not drive on the ice until others do.

Wow - 7" is a lot. After I wrote that I realized that I saw two snowmobiles on Fish Lake north of Duluth this week as well.

I don't walk on lakes until others are driving on them. I don't drive on lakes (I made an exception to that once that I can recall, and that was Lake of the Woods in late January when there was a small city's worth of vehicles on the lake).
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was exactly 7" on Pokegama in Grand Rapids last week when I helped my son put his house out. My youngest played hockey on Pokegama last weekend. Front page of todays GR paper has a neat picture.

http://www.grandrapidsmn.com/you_snap_it/image_842986a8-2bf1-11e1-a232-0019bb2963f4.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: