MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vote for November 2011's Cache of the Month

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who's your vote for the November 2011 Cache of the Month?
Under Lock and Key
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
C&C's Evil Cacher
11%
 11%  [ 14 ]
Russ (Ole) Crawford Memorial Geo-Bench
38%
 38%  [ 46 ]
Five Phalanges to Fix Your Flute
44%
 44%  [ 54 ]
Log Cabin
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 121

msteffel
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Vote for November 2011's Cache of the Month Reply with quote

Your nominations for November Cache of the Month are:

GC33X68 - Under Lock and Key by Seldon nominated by A-body

It is a well done winter friendly traditional with a twist.

GC1QRCH - C&C's Evil Cacher by Commander & Chief nominated by ArcherDragoon

The cache listed above is the Final in a great series of caches in the Austin Area...to be specific, the Hormel Nature Center on the Northeast "corner" of Austin.

The series of caches (Multi, Traditional x2 and a Puzzle) take you all over the Hormel Nature Center. For the most part, it is a very easy walk over a great area...wooded, grassland and along the river in various parts. There are a number of caches in the same park that can be found...and the area has room for more!!!

We went for this one in Late August and had to deal with very few bugs!!! As stated eariler, the terrain is mainly flat and very easy to walk. Had we not been there so late in the day, I would have gladdly taken more time to explore the park further.

If you ever find yourself in the Austin Area with some extra time on your hands, I would highly recommend this series of caches!!! If not, plan some time and a trip down to the area for this cache!!! The final will NOT disapoint you...it surprised us!!!

C&C's Evil Cacher-Final: http://coord.info/GC1QRCH
Speak No Evil: http://coord.info/GC1QRDG
Hear No Evil: http://coord.info/GC1QTAD
See No Evil: http://coord.info/GC1QTBT

GC30J8Y - Russ (Ole) Crawford Memorial Geo-Bench by (and Lena) nominated by AerosmithPA

Russ Crawford was a pioneer of geocaching in northeastern Minnesota. He also had a very unusual ability to make anyone he met on the trail feel as they were the most important person in the world at that time. Russ always had life adventure stories which were captivating and seemed bigger than life. And though he had a biography which was full of ability and achievement, Russ lived very humbly and preferred to simply be known in his retirement years as "Ole" to the many geocachers he touched.

We all lost Russ very unexpectedly on September 14, 2010. Soon after, his wife "Lena" asked a few of Russ' friends to help her find a location for a memorial bench to be placed in his honor. As discussions went on, the suggestion was made to make the bench an active geocache, and the Russ (Ole) Crawford Memorial Geo-Bench was soon born. I encourage all Minnesota geocachers to travel to rural Deer River to take this cache in. Until then, I encourage all to take the time to read the logs associated with this cache, and also enjoy the pictures which are linked to it.

GC30G40- Five Phalanges to Fix Your Flute by mnfishnutz, troutonthebrain & QIFT nominated by Sharknose Bunnies

I'd like to nominate, no, check that—I'm compelled to nominate the incredibly awesome and clever Five Phalanges to Fix Your Flute, by mnfishnutz and troutonthebrain.

Don't want to say much to give this one away, but it's a testament to how good this cache is when it has 7 finds and 7 favorite points in its first week. Well worth the trip to Plymouth to give this a shot, and it's very conveniently located near the road. Good times all around!

GC1NX9G - Log Cabin by jaklimber nominated by knowschad

Wow!! Looks like it is going to be a tough month for voting, with all these nominees! But I have to add one more. Its a mutli, so I know that its chances are slim for that reason alone, but I must say that it is a multi that you will be telling stories about, years from now. It is another jaklimber cache. I found it today with Team Dennis. In my 7 years of caching, I have never seen a cache done quite like this one.

The cache is Log Cabin: http://coord.info/GC1NX9G Give it a shot... you will be challenged, and if you find it, you will be impressed!

Voting will be open till the end of the month*. Good luck to all the nominees and keep those great caches coming! Sorry for the delay in posting, I'm on vacation.

*Note: Due to how the polling works in phpBB (there may be other ways around it that I'm not familiar with) the poll may be open for some time past 11:59:59 pm on the last day of the month. When a poll is open it is set to be open for a certain number of days, so if for some reason the poll can't be open right at 11:59:59 (say a production issue at work, busy with non-caching activities, feel asleep, etc) then there will be some 'bonus' voting time.

Last edited by msteffel on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Coach Bill
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: November cache of the month Reply with quote

my vote is for the Russ "Ole" Crawford memorial cache. Thanks!
MonkeyFrog
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wish I could vote for Ole's cache....
TeamLibra
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our vote is for Five Phalanges to Fix Your Flute - a great time had by our family!
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received an email...based on the way polling works, the vote closed earlier today. I will need to talk with msteffel about how he wants to handle this.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rats would vote for Ole if we could. He was a great guy and this cache is a wonderful tribute to his memory.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up a running for an extra day or so...on behalf of msteffel, sorry for the mixup...but, also let this serve as a reminder, please do not wait until the last minute for voting...we really do not want to get into the habit of extending a poll.
msteffel
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies, I was on vacation in Hawaii and must have been in too much of a rush when I setup the number of days for the vote.

I believe I increased the vote by 2 days. I'll pm everyone who said 'My vote is for X' and ask them to vote now (else in theory some could just say I vote for x when they already voted for x [I'm not saying anyone would do that], but the extra days will hopefully give everyone the time, including those that didn't leave a response in the form, to vote.

Again, apologies for my mix up.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting ... more votes than *finds* Rolling Eyes

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:

No comment. My comments cost me votes when I had a nominated cache once. Shocked
msteffel
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to mnfishnutz, troutonthebrain & QIFT and all the nominees (including 'Russ (Ole) Crawford Memorial Geo-Bench' which got an amazing number of votes as well) as 'Five Phalanges to Fix Your Flute' has been voted November 2010 Cache of the Month.

Again, my apologies for the voting closing prematurely. As I have been quite busy recently, going forward ArcherDragoon and I will be alternating months handling the CotM duties going forward. If we deem there are going to be any changes in the procedures those will be posted in the guidelines.

Remember that being nominated is an honor that few caches receive and also caches can always be resubmitted for Cache of the Month after a month off [i.e. per the rules caches can't be nominated in two consecutive months].
Jackrabbitgrad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:

Were there more votes for the cache of the month than during the last election at the event? Laughing
Manfromwillow
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackrabbitgrad wrote:
King Boreas wrote:

Were there more votes for the cache of the month than during the last election at the event? Laughing

What a concept, maybe online voting is a viable alternative?
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locked before this gets off topic very quickly...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: