MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Event Etiquette
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you wait until the actual "start time" to go hunt at event caches?
I start as early as I can.
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
I start a little early but not enough to get too much of an advantage.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I start whenever the majority seems to start.
90%
 90%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 31

Author Message
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President


Joined: 04 Apr 2004

Posts: 5711

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs. Mizzou wrote:
Generally on Event Etiquette -

Didn't the logging of temp caches on the event page fall out of favor?


I believe it did. I didn't see it in the guidelines, but I believe logging multiple 'Founds' on an event page is a no-no.
_________________
Hmm...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ST11
Geocacher


Joined: 04 Jul 2009

Posts: 159

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think prizes should be awarded to DNF's that way Talasay would have a chance Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4067

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whaleboat+jojo wrote:
Suggestion #2: Give raffle tickets on a per person basis +1 more for a completed survey or event task. Don't give raffle tickets based on # of FTFs for the event.


But if you're handed the FTF, what's the point of bragging?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spatten26
Geocacher


Joined: 07 Aug 2011

Posts: 8

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: multiple finds to log temp caches at an event Reply with quote

I wasn't aware logging temps was frowned upon. I had a couple attendees ask me if it was alright and I didn't have a problem with it. I wasn't aware there was an actual rule. I guess I'll know for next time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
emmanogoldfish
Geocacher


Joined: 26 Oct 2007

Posts: 106

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a control thing, an ALR even, you must wait until a certain day/time to look for a published cache? I'm assuming that they were published caches. I'd publish them a couple days before the event.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4067

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: multiple finds to log temp caches at an event Reply with quote

spatten26 wrote:
I wasn't aware logging temps was frowned upon. I had a couple attendees ask me if it was alright and I didn't have a problem with it. I wasn't aware there was an actual rule. I guess I'll know for next time.


It's NOT a rule. You can do it. But most hard core cachers don't.

Many of us used to do it but not for three or four years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lx2
Geocacher


Joined: 24 Sep 2008

Posts: 16

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago, as newbie cachers, we attended a Flash Mob in Downtown Mpls. Caching names went into a bucket and one was drawn for FTF. It was ours. The grumbling began and carried over into the "Found It" logs on the event page. I'l go with KB's suggestion of everyone logging FTF.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher


Joined: 29 Jun 2009

Posts: 303

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
Don't reward FTFs.

Everyone attending the Event claims FTF. It allows leisure finds, instead of encouraging the destruction of GZ.

Just my 2


+1

KB and Grey Wolf did this at the Haloween event and it was great fun. Especially for my kids. I'm trying to raise them as FTF Hounds and this was a good introduction. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MNMizzou
Geocacher


Joined: 23 Feb 2005

Posts: 715

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharknose Bunnies wrote:
King Boreas wrote:
Don't reward FTFs.

Everyone attending the Event claims FTF. It allows leisure finds, instead of encouraging the destruction of GZ.

Just my 2


+1

KB and Grey Wolf did this at the Haloween event and it was great fun. Especially for my kids. I'm trying to raise them as FTF Hounds and this was a good introduction. Wink


So as part of that indoctrination do you hide food in the house and the first one to find it gets to eat and the one who doesn't gets to starve for the night? Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher


Joined: 29 Jun 2009

Posts: 303

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
Sharknose Bunnies wrote:
King Boreas wrote:
Don't reward FTFs.

Everyone attending the Event claims FTF. It allows leisure finds, instead of encouraging the destruction of GZ.

Just my 2


+1

KB and Grey Wolf did this at the Haloween event and it was great fun. Especially for my kids. I'm trying to raise them as FTF Hounds and this was a good introduction. Wink


So as part of that indoctrination do you hide food in the house and the first one to find it gets to eat and the one who doesn't gets to starve for the night? Laughing


Oh! I hadn't thought of this! Nice idea! In winter I could probably hide the containers in the yard if I make them squirrel-proof.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Geocaching Cache Icons, Copyright 2009, Groundspeak Inc. All rights reserved. Used with Permission.