MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chirp help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Chirp help Reply with quote

I have an Oregon 450 that does have ANT wireless capability. When I went to try to do my first Chirp multi today though I'm not sure if I was supposed to do something? Is it like a wherigo where you approach and things just pop up or do you have to do something? I tried doing the "Receive" function and it searched for a transmitting unit to no avail. Appreciate any help.
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is youur Chirp function on? Setup -> Geocaches -> Chirp searching -> On

Try that. I'm not ure if its the problem, but its worth a check
swfan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also need to be within 30', I think it is. Were you at the right GZ?
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunganator wrote:
Is your Chirp function on? Setup -> Geocaches -> Chirp searching -> On

Try that. I'm not sure if its the problem, but its worth a check

Yes you need to turn it on. But also, depending on the firmware you have installed you might need to get a newer version that supports chirping. When you're finished with the chirp I'd recommend turning it off again - uses less battery.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does not show chirping on in the setup menu. Kredup do you mean I can update my firmware? or do I need to get a newer GPS?
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should just need to update the GPS you have, which you should be able to do via Garmin's website. (I think they now have a simple program you download and it does everything from there)
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
Mine does not show chirping on in the setup menu. Kredup do you mean I can update my firmware? or do I need to get a newer GPS?

Just to make sure you're looking far enough...the chirp isn't under the setup menu directly. It's under the SETUP and then under GEOCACHE specifically.
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To check your firmware version (firmware is the OS for your GPS, like Windows or OSX) go to Setup then all the way to the bottom to About. At the top you will see "Software Version" and a number.

The latest version (as of Oct 2011) is 5.2

To update, you need to use the web installer from Garmin. You can find that here.

http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

Just download it and run it and the program will walk you through the upgrade process. It is pretty simple.
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dornole wrote:

I had the same problem with my 550. I had to download the newest software and then the chirp option was in my setup menu.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestSideDaddy wrote:
To check your firmware version (firmware is the OS for your GPS, like Windows or OSX) go to Setup then all the way to the bottom to About. At the top you will see "Software Version" and a number.

The latest version (as of Oct 2011) is 5.2

To update, you need to use the web installer from Garmin. You can find that here.

http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

Just download it and run it and the program will walk you through the upgrade process. It is pretty simple.

Wow WSD next time I'm having trouble I'm going straight to you! Pictures and all! Smile

Dornole, Chirping was added to Oregons awhile back, you needed to do an update to get it. (Even the replacement Oregon I got from Garmin last winter didn't have it preloaded) If you've never done an update, that would likely be the problem, but do what EPMN says too. There have been some other nice updates to the Oregon: Coordinate averaging and Next Stage (for Multis) are two I use a lot. If it would help we could meet somewhere for a personal helping. PM me if you're interested. Or if you can wait till the EP Parks mtg, we could do it then.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's my daddy Very Happy Any chance you could be my CSR for my window company and microwave manufacturer as well??

Anyway the update worked, Chirp has appeared and now I can go try it!! Thanks everybody!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: