MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upset neighbors in Oakdale
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Upset neighbors in Oakdale Reply with quote

A co-worker has informed me that neighbors in Oakdale are upset with geocachers. The info I have is that someone is destroying/cutting trees. I'm getting more info. and it's buckthorn that was getting cut and they cut more than buckthorn, and did a poor job and cut other trees. The people doing the cutting had geocaching decals on their trucks/cars. Best description I can get of the park is near north 50th st. near a school.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt anyone just went in on their own to cut buckthorn in a city park. Maybe they should check with the city to see if there was a buckthorn removal event in the park.
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly looks like they have had a recent buckthroun removal project

Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestSideDaddy wrote:
It certainly looks like they have had a recent buckthroun removal project

That would be the park. Thanks WestSide.
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, hopefully you can get the word back to the neighbor of the friend that there were volunteers doing the buck thorn removal and the fact that they were geocachers didn't have anything to do with it.
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Upset neighbors in Oakdale Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
... The people doing the cutting had geocaching decals on their trucks/cars. ...

Something else. Most of the geocaching car decals I have seen (or own) are logos of GC.com or travel bugs, or something a little vague. They don't just declare "I AM A GEOCACHER". So it is interesting that they identified the stickers as geocaching stickers.

Oh well, hopefully we can prevent Oakdale from hearing about it (or clear up and false accusations) and prevent them from establishing some ridiculous geocaching rules.
XHawk
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be possible that the neighbors confused the logo of Concordia University with a Geocaching.com logo? There is a similarity if looking at them from a distance.
http://online.csp.edu/online-degree-programs/master-of-arts-in-sport-management/
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Oakdale and yeah those Buckthorn projects are always going on in parks around here. It is not something people do on their own, and if they do, it's not a reflection of Geocaching, or their company or the brand of car they drive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestSideDaddy wrote:
Well, hopefully you can get the word back to the neighbor of the friend that there were volunteers doing the buck thorn removal and the fact that they were geocachers didn't have anything to do with it.

I made a copy of the Buckthorn event notice and gave it to my co-worker. She will forward it on, and this misunderstanding should be straightened out. Thanks again for the info.
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The moral of the story is clear: Don't falsely accuse a geocacher of something, or they will find a website conclusively demonstrating the falsity of the claim within five minutes.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:
The moral of the story is clear: Don't falsely accuse a geocacher of something, or they will find a website conclusively demonstrating the falsity of the claim within five minutes.

Its in our by-laws!!!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:

It took an attorney to write the moral to the story.. Wink
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
sparkyfry wrote:

It took an attorney to write the moral to the story.. Wink

Yet very nicely written....except for that fancy word "falsity". Wink
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRedEP wrote:
Yet very nicely written....except for that fancy word "falsity". Wink

Agreed. Quite frankly I'm against people who give vent to their loquacity by extraneous, bombastic circumlocution.
emmanogoldfish
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like someone's leg might have been being pulled.

Now, didn't anyone notice the infringement upon our nations Wildfire Prevention Mascot?

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 33 > § 711
§ 711. “SMOKEY BEAR” CHARACTER OR NAME
Whoever, except as authorized under rules and regulations issued by the Secretary of Agriculture after consultation with the Association of State Foresters and the Advertising Council, knowingly and for profit manufactures, reproduces, or uses the character “Smokey Bear”, originated by the Forest Service, United States Department of Agriculture, in cooperation with the Association of State Foresters and the Advertising Council for use in public information concerning the prevention of forest fires, or any facsimile thereof, or the name “Smokey Bear” shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Twin Cities Metro Area All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: