MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Caching on Explore MN TV show

View previous topic :: View next topic  
visiteaganmn
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Caching on Explore MN TV show Reply with quote

As a fellow MnGCA member, I thought you all should know that I included geocaching as one of the many activities one can do at Lebanon Hills Regional Park in a new television show airing at 8 a.m. saturday, oct. 16 on FSN-north. It's called Explore Minnesota Television.
The Eagan Convention & Visitors Bureau worked in tandem with the Dakota County Parks staff who are fully aware they have no policy in place for caching. That will probably soon change. I referred them to this website and other counties that have policies.
Eagan CVB is hoping to develop a national game in 2005 offering travel packages. Anyone interested in helping design the game is welcome to contact visiteaganmn (Sue or Ann) at 651.675.5546.
Tune in Saturday, Oct. 16 at 8 AM on FSN. Exclamation
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Caching on Explore MN TV show Reply with quote

visiteaganmn wrote:
The Eagan Convention & Visitors Bureau worked in tandem with the Dakota County Parks staff who are fully aware they have no policy in place for caching. That will probably soon change. I referred them to this website and other counties that have policies.

Why on earth would you want to encourage them to adopt a policy?

There are lots of great caches in Lebanon Hills. Adoption of a policy would likely mean the removal of most of those caches. The policies we've seen so far have had per-park limits, rather than density limits.

As we've seen over the past couple of years, its best to just fly under the radar.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Caching on Explore MN TV show Reply with quote

visiteaganmn wrote:

As an MNGCA member perhaps you should have discussed with the rest of the group before going off on your own to discuss a geocaching policy with a parks department that has been relatively Geocaching friendly.

This is a proper organization that needs to have open discussion and voting before allowing a person to represent the group especially to a parks district as large as Dakota County's.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have emailed visiteaganmn directly and asked to know who they have spoke with in the DCP so that the MNGCA as a GROUP can become actively involved if the DCP feels that a policy *needs* to be enacted.
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Caching on Explore MN TV show Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
This is a proper organization that needs to have open discussion and voting before allowing a person to represent the group especially to a parks district as large as Dakota County's.

DCP was contacted 2 years ago at the same time as all the rest of the county park systems. Three Rivers, Ramsey and Carver were the only ones who decided it was necessary to develop a policy. DCP is well aware of the geo-caching activity in their parks.

As far as I know, DCP has some wonderful caches and they have not had any problems that would need a policy. But Silent Bob is correct that MnGCA has successfully done negotiations and education with lots of park systems and park admins - anytime a lone geocacher instigates this on their own, it usually turns out badly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
visiteaganmn
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Question Let me set you all straight before you start accusing me of "going off" on my own. I in no way advocated for a "policy."
In the course of paying lots of money to promote this fantastic park in Eagan, geocaching came up as just one of many activities one can do here. While helping to write the script for the tv show, DCP staff are the ones who raised the question, not me. In fact, they have had a problem prior to my geocaching days with a cache hidden along a dangerous cliff in one of the parks, according to a park naturalist. This incident, not me, raised the issue, which at this time, has gone no further than removing the cache. So CHILL!
Before you start throwing stones, consider that I have an existing working relationship with these folks and could possibly be of some use to this organization. However, your jump to inaccurate conclusions and accusations makes me seriously question my level of participation.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visiteaganmn wrote:
Shocked Question Let me set you all straight before you start accusing me of "going off" on my own. I in no way advocated for a "policy."

Quote:
Before you start throwing stones, consider that I have an existing working relationship with these folks and could possibly be of some use to this organization. However, your jump to inaccurate conclusions and accusations makes me seriously question my level of participation.

Now, as far as I can see this is what you wrote above:

Quote:
As a fellow MnGCA member, I thought you all should know that I included geocaching as one of the many activities one can do at Lebanon Hills Regional Park in a new television show airing at 8 a.m. saturday, oct. 16 on FSN-north. It's called Explore Minnesota Television.

You, as a fellow MNGCA member, included geocaching as one of the many activities to do in LHRP for a TV show with commercial interests and backing and YOU referred them to other parks' policies.

At least by your own account it looks like you DID advocate different policies and you DID go off on your own w/o first consulting the MNGCA.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visiteagan-

I recommend attending our meeting on Wednesday.

See this url:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=ccc6997c-8790-40f0-96a8-f2188a6dd1dc

Getting a level understanding of what we're about, and us getting a level understanding of what you're on about and your relationship to the parks will be much more productive in the setting of a meeting.

-Aaron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: