MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firearms Deer Season!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeoStar Family
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: Firearms Deer Season! Reply with quote

Just a quick reminder that firearms deer season opens Saturday morning and for the next 1-3 weeks, depending on your area, there will be hunters galore. If you must cache, please wear Blaze Orange at all times while in or near the woods and fields
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone, especially those on public lands, need to appreciate the possiblility there may be others who are not in your party nearby enjoying Creation also.

Be orange, be safe, be respectful, have fun.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Firearms Deer Season! Reply with quote

GeoStar Family wrote:
Just a quick reminder that firearms deer season opens Saturday morning and for the next 1-3 weeks, depending on your area, there will be hunters galore. If you must cache, please wear Blaze Orange at all times while in or near the woods and fields

That also means that there are some parks that close areas during this season. Be sure to check that the area of the park is still open.

I've got a few weeks yet before muzzleloading season starts. I can't wait!
butcherandswimmer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember almost all of the state trails are open for hunting I have hunted the loose line before with good success.It is best to get the State forest caches and trails Jan - Oct. State parks and city parks are the place to cache in Nov. I shot one of my best Deer when I had lots of hikers walking all around and just at dark after they left the critter came out. I have watched many deer lay down and let hikers walk by and then get up and move after the coast was clear. Those ones knew where I was also that is why they got that big. This is over by the Jordan in the Carver rapids area. The chance of getting shot is lower than the chance of getting in a car accident when you are looking for a cache. But you may get someone mad if you scare the Deer away.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I planted a cache today on the (deer) trail head that goes to my favorite spot for sitting in the deer stand. Hope to have it published soon. I can then hunt man and deer at the same time Wink
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
I planted a cache today on the (deer) trail head that goes to my favorite spot for sitting in the deer stand. Hope to have it published soon. I can then hunt man and deer at the same time Wink
Are you trying to get those FTF hounds to drive the deer to you?
team_geomonkey
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we got caught on saturday at a Three Rivers Park. Of course, I pulled off on the side of the road - went in 500 feet, found cache and was on my way back to the car. Saw those red lights flashing behind my car -- the law was just trying to find my contact info to warn me of the open deer hunt in the park. Doh! I saw no signs anywhere. nothing about an open hunt. Wish I had the blaze orange on. I was embarrased that in my excitement I complete spaced that it was still hunting season.
Team Dennis
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone is planning on caching behind the Cheddar Curtain please know that Wisconsin gun season starts Saturday 11/19/11 and goes until Sunday 11/27/11.
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team Dennis wrote:
...behind the Cheddar Curtain...

Laughing

I am so using that.
ArcherDragoon
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team Dennis wrote:
In case anyone is planning on caching behind the Cheddar Curtain please know that Wisconsin gun season starts Saturday 11/19/11 and goes until Sunday 11/27/11.

Which is also 300 Series in MN...so curtain or not...Firearms Season is still upon us...
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MN Firearms including Muzzleloading runs through Dec 11th. Archery runs through Dec 31.
Team Dennis
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJnTJ wrote:
Team Dennis wrote:
...behind the Cheddar Curtain...

Laughing

I am so using that.

I forget who I borrowed that phrase from but it appears in my WI cache logs every so often.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

team_geomonkey wrote:
we got caught on saturday at a Three Rivers Park.

I guess I need a refresher on where hunting is allowed. I wouldn't have guessed a Three Rivers Park.

Team Dennis wrote:

And the density of hunters is amazing.
GeoStar Family
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRedEP wrote:
team_geomonkey wrote:
we got caught on saturday at a Three Rivers Park.

I guess I need a refresher on where hunting is allowed. I wouldn't have guessed a Three Rivers Park.

Team Dennis wrote:

And the density of hunters is amazing.

It appears that most of the Open Space, Larger Parks and many recreation areas were open to control hunts in the metro area. Caught me off guard a couple of times. Thankfully, as a hunter, I always have a blaze orange vest and hat in the car!

Be cautious throughout the state as many firearms areas are still hunting, at least through this Sunday, and after that it is Archery and Muzzleloader. Keep some orange handy and be safe out there!
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured I would post a quick note on this thread...

Seeing notes on some of my cache logs up in the State Forests that cachers are meeting and talking with Bear Hunters...

Bear Hunting opened last weekend (9/1) and runs through 10/13..

Guess fall really is headed our way. Might be a good idea to start tossing the orange back in your cache mobiles when you head to the woods... and then PUT IT ON when you get out on the trails.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: