MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have you ever gotten pulled over for looking suspicious?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigChiefS4
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Have you ever gotten pulled over for looking suspicious? Reply with quote

I was in Ham Lake last night, picking up my Blazer from 4 Wheel Parts and Services. I had an LSD (Limited Slip Differential) installed. Decided to pick up a few caches on my way home.

When I left Hound-Dog Meadow http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=8aa03553-4d0f-441a-b799-fa152fde620d to look for another cache, the Fridley PD pulled me over. Someone in the neighborhood I just left reported me for "looking suspicious". Here's the log entry:

Quote:
Just wanted to share this. As I was leaving and headed off to find another cache, the Fridley PD pulled me over by Mississippi Blvd. He asked what if I was in the neighborhood and if I was digging around in some bushes. I confirmed all of it. He asked what I was doing and I asked him if he has heard of Geocaching. He said he had heard of it and that a few of his friends do it. I showed him my iPhone, which had the Geocaching app open and a line to the next cache. He ran my drivers license and sent me on my way. I guess I wasn't as stealthy as I thought but kudos to the police for being vigilant.

No big deal. I got a laugh out of it and the officer that stopped me was friendly enough. When I got to my next cache, there were a lot of students around so I decided to count my blessings and head home.

Christian
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The police departments take 'suspicious vehicle' calls seriously. They encourage people to call in if they see something that looks unusual. I have been questioned several times by law enforcement officers. Most of them have already heard about geocaching and the encounter only lasts a couple minutes at the most.
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One time a cop asked us what we were doing while we were DNFing this cache

Here's a log of someone who got pulled over:

Geo-Opoly: Boardwalk
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonkaMN wrote:
The police departments take 'suspicious vehicle' calls seriously. They encourage people to call in if they see something that looks unusual. I have been questioned several times by law enforcement officers. Most of them have already heard about geocaching and the encounter only lasts a couple minutes at the most.

Happens all the time to cachers. People think it's strange to see someone checking out a pine tree Wink .
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1713
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigilwig44 wrote:

I'm surprised it took Zuma! that long to have a police encounter, considering how many caches he's found. I've had about ten myself. All have been positive. This one was my own fault.
gdawgs
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. See my log here.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=75cb463a-970b-4006-bad5-166461e78764
BigChiefS4
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gdawgs wrote:
Yes. See my log here.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=75cb463a-970b-4006-bad5-166461e78764

Moral of the story: don't go Geocaching if you have a record or a warrant out for your arrest. You never know when you'll be questioned...
butcherandswimmer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

View Geocache Log

GL284QGC ▼

zuma! found LOST ?

Monday, 09 March 2009Minnesota
Delete Log Permanently Encrypt
FTF #798, a co-FTF with Maznroll and TECGeoJim.

The three of us looked for this one for about 40 minutes under the watchful eye of the cache owner. It should not have taken that long to find it, but it did. After about 40 minutes, a squad car pulled up onto the sidewalk, so Butcher went over to talk to the cop, and explain what was going on here. Turned out that was the break we needed, since as soon as Butcher left, we were able to come up with the find.

Thanks for the cache. Keep On Cachin In The Free World.
(The police man said that is a good use of park property and drove off)
Brooklyn51
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just got pulled ove in Owatonna last weekend. Here's the log from our visit:

"Turned on to what we thought was a fishing access road and were able to park within 100 feet of GZ. The male half of the team volunteered to do the bushwhacking and made a quick find. Left a crystal suncatcher and a Yuki button. Upon turning back onto the paved road, we were immediately pulled over by one of Owatonna's finest, cherry top flashing. "What were you doing back there?" he asked the female half of the team who was at the wheel. "Geocaching..." "Motorized vehicles aren't allowed on park trails and that's a park trail." "Really? It wasn't posted as such. We thought it was a fishing access road. (honestly we did.)" "Can I see your driver's license?" "It's in the trunk." So she steps out to get the license and waits while he punches away at his laptop. "Do you know what geocaching is?" she asked him. "I do." Thank goodness, at least we won't have to explain that. When he returns he says "I'm not going to ticket you because in all honesty you aren't the only ones who have made the mistake." He then began to explain all the work they are putting into the trail and how much else they have to do. She told him she would put a note on the log about the trail and contact the CO to do the same, but if the city is concerned with people not driving there, they better get their butt in gear and get it posted. That road looks as little like a park trail as the gravel road we had just been on -- or better yet not worry about cars driving on it until they do. Anyway, long story short - don't mistake the trail as an access road! Not sure where else one parks for this cache, but don't park here! Thanks for the cache."

And interestingly enough, the next day we found a cache located on one of those suspicious behavior signs. Here the log on that one:

"We enjoyed the irony here: We immediately report all suspicious persons and activities to our Police Dept. Guess we didn't look suspicious! Thanks for the cache."
ST11
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been stopped or questioned.

But Talasay now that's another story. I guess it doesn't help that he likes to strip naked and swing from trees doing that Tarzan yelp.

I keep telling him "not in the city parks" He is an idiot though. Confused
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, see my log here: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=42e85bf0-72da-48a5-99a6-9d5d13724dc0
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:
sigilwig44 wrote:

I'm surprised it took Zuma! that long to have a police encounter, considering how many caches he's found. I've had about ten myself. All have been positive. This one was my own fault.

I can see a challenge.....
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We once had a Yeti scare a police officer away after three of us got questioned while looking for a cache.

That was the coolest thing ever.
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way back when I first started, I worked 2nd shift in Lakeville, and went after a couple of nearby caches after I got off work at 2am. Even though I was in a park that didn't have official park hours posted, I still ran into Johnny Law when I got back to my car and had to explain geocaching to them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: