MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Groundspeak health
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sky King 36
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Groundspeak health Reply with quote

I am curious if other people are feeling what I am feeling. Call me a conspiracy theorist, troublemaker, what have you...

I feel like across the board, groundspeak has just ground slowly to a halt. They used to participate actively in the feedback forums, and now, they rarely post updates or get involved in the dialog of ANY thread. You used to hear from Jeremy and all the lackeys often in the forums, now you never do. They used to reply to emails, now they don't. The web page and the mobile apps used to be updated frequently, and now it just seems like progress has ground to a halt. The 0.93 map beta has been around well over a year and no more progress of any kind has been made in refining it. Sure the API tied up a lot of development resources, but it largely works as is now.

Lately there have been technical problems, like the ones many are having with PQs, that just linger for days with no update, no resolution. Many of us are on our 4th day without PQs and have heard nothing back from forum posts and e-mails. The problems never get solved any more, they just linger until people develop some work-around.

It just feels so palpabale to me that things are not right. As an entrepreneur and once-CEO myself, I have a real appreciation how difficult it is to transition from a mom-and-pop shop to a process-based international business. As a CIO/CTO now, I have a real appreciation how difficult it is to scale a web-based database of this magnitude. And I can't help but wonder if the magnituide of the business and technical challenges haven't reached Groundspeaks "Peter Principle" tipping point.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy if they complete just ONE project and stuck with it besides standard geocaching. Wherigo, souvenirs, challenges, etc.
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
I'd be happy if they complete just ONE project and stuck with it besides standard geocaching. Wherigo, souvenirs, challenges, etc.
I don't know that I want them completing projects just for the sake of completion. I'd rather they complete *good* projects. Of the ones you mention, my vote goes with wherigos.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:
bflentje wrote:
I don't know that I want them completing projects just for the sake of completion. I'd rather they complete *good* projects. Of the ones you mention, my vote goes with wherigos.

I agree that projects should be good but the Vikings are doing better than Groundspeak.. if that tells you anything.
termdisc
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I let my premium membership lapse shortly after the launch of the so-called challenges, somewhat disenchanted with Jeremy's "my way or the highway" attitude. Lucky me, I renewed my premium membership today to grab some pocket queries - only to find that they're not working?!! Wish I'd read this post before renewing! Mad
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving this to Geocaching Websites.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

termdisc wrote:
I let my premium membership lapse shortly after the launch of the so-called challenges, somewhat disenchanted with Jeremy's "my way or the highway" attitude. Lucky me, I renewed my premium membership today to grab some pocket queries - only to find that they're not working?!! Wish I'd read this post before renewing! Mad

If you geocache with any regularity, letting your membership lapse is kind of lame regardless Jeremy's alleged "my way or the highway" attitude. While I'd like to see the projects finished, I am not worked up enough to care (read, let membership lapse).
ArcherDragoon
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Queries Reply with quote

It has to be hit and miss...I have been getting my PQ's without any issues...
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shows that mine ran today but only one of them is updated on my download list... Irritating.
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only been playing for a year, but it seems like they've been pretty consistent over that time.

The mobile apps were pretty dormant for a while, but they're picking up again. The site updates over the past few months are about on par: a couple of nice ideas (usually implemented poorly at first), alongside some bad ones (also implemented poorly). If I knew which Lackey implemented Personal Cache Notes, I'd buy them a beer. If I could find the ones responsible for the maps, I'd... probably frown at them or something.

It's a little worrying that this current PQ issue hasn't gotten more attention, though I'm not sure they're responding to it any worse than they usually do. The feedback site is really confusing for the users since its most recent software update, and maybe it's frustrating for the Lackeys as well. There doesn't seem to be a way to only see the ideas that are active AND that you have votes on. They're all mixed together, and sorted weirdly.

Challenges were a colossal miscalculation, and I think Jeremy has been MIA since then. I'm using them to publish Benchmarks that don't exist in the GC.com database. Wink
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJnTJ wrote:
Challenges were a colossal miscalculation, and I think Jeremy has been MIA since then. I'm using them to publish Benchmarks that don't exist in the GC.com database.

I agree with Jeremy being MIA, "My way or the Highway" is not good, and challenges, well, everyone doesn't like them. Bad idea I'd say, just bring back Virts. I have noticed a decline in Groundspeak performance. And I like the idea with the benchmarks Smile
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received an e-mail for a survey for groundspeak. Surveymonkey.com anyone ever get one like this. havent went to the web site yet but its says the link in the e-mail is tied to my e-mail and account. ?????
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBcrashen wrote:
I just received an e-mail for a survey for groundspeak. Surveymonkey.com anyone ever get one like this. havent went to the web site yet but its says the link in the e-mail is tied to my e-mail and account. ?????

I think I did one quite some time ago that was on surveymonkey. I believe it's legit.
Sky King 36
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBcrashen wrote:
Yeh, groundspeak does do surveys periodically. Follow this link the feedback forums, and I have heard talk that Groundspeak uses SurveyMonkey.
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBcrashen wrote:

Do you have the link to that survey? I'd be a good link to have on the MnGCA website.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: