MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eden Prairie Parks Meeting with Stu
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu wants me to call him tomorrow to decide on a time. I would think if MN Fruitcake can attend Weds night we should go with it. Whoever can attend please come. Otherwise we could perhaps find a time next week, most likely Thursday? TWS will you be able to attend if it's tomorrow night? Stu claims not to know anything about any situations like yours happening. Also, ISpy, will you be able to attend?

The meeting will be at City Center which is at 8080 Mitchell Rd off Hwy 5 just west off 494. Take the Mitchell Rd Exit! It's the same building as the police dept. but continue past the police area and go in the main doors up the hill.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can make it barring any last minute changes to my schedule (which I don't anticipate). I'll PM you some contact details separately.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit confused. Stu wants to change the time of the meeting? or his he trying to accommodate Pear Head's schedule? I agree if FC can attend, to go with it, otherwise I'm good with trying to accommodate other's schedules.

I think TWS should try to make it. He has published quite a few with Stu. If he can't attend, maybe he can forward to Carol the copies of the "approved" forms that Stu sent back to him? And maybe the name and publish date of the cache that was placed on top of his.

ISpy isn't available.

What room in the City Center? or will it be obvious when we arrive?

PS I love this weather!
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRedEP wrote:
I'm a bit confused. Stu wants to change the time of the meeting? or his he trying to accommodate Pear Head's schedule? I agree if FC can attend, to go with it, otherwise I'm good with trying to accommodate other's schedules.

The time isn't an issue for me, as long as it's in the afternoon or later. I'll be in the cities sometime in the afternoon on Wednesday and will be free (ie. caching) all day/evening, so I can make anything work.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm good anytime after 4. I'll assume 7 unless I hear otherwise.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu was suggesting perhaps we discuss another date but since MF can attend let's go with tonight at 7pm. I don't know which room yet. I'll call Stu this morning and confirm that. It would be very helpful if TWS can attend or yes, send copies of those approvals.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't make it tonight, I have plans with the family. I will try and dig up my approved form and email exchanges with SJ about the caches. I sent emails to Stu after it happened and he never replied.

This has been my only issue with the EP process, otherwise it has been pretty pain free.

-TWS
pippin and merry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can make it tonight and forego my other commitment. We had the same issue as TWS with a cache a couple of years ago. Stu approved a cache that was not within the required limits and we called him on it. He disagreed with our calculations and we sent it to Surfer Joe (who agreed with us and would not approve it). In fact, Gilby brute forced it and signed the log, before it was approved. We also had an issue with another cache that he would not approve until there were additional discussions on location. Let me know if you want me to research these items. These are old issues that have kept us from putting out new caches in EP.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The meeting is on for tonight at 7pm at 8080 Mitchel Rd. EP, as mentioned above. It will most likely be in the Prairie Room which is the first door on the left as you come into the building. If it's not there for any reason the room being used will be posted at the entrance. Bring your laptops if you have anything you'd like to share. They have wifi although Stu doesn't know how to use it but does know it's secured. Hopefully, we'll be able to get on and use it. I have info from both Ispy and TimeWellSpent on issues they've had with the application process. If anyone has emails received from Stu regarding denials for caches in areas that SHOULD have been okay, please bring them or plot them on a map, especially if you could do it in google earth. Any further questions about tonight? Just ask!
Hal-oween
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be there between 7-7:30 to help show support. I don't have any issues to bring other than the glacially slow time it takes the city to approve.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pippin and merry wrote:
I can make it tonight and forego my other commitment. We had the same issue as TWS with a cache a couple of years ago. Stu approved a cache that was not within the required limits and we called him on it. He disagreed with our calculations and we sent it to Surfer Joe (who agreed with us and would not approve it). In fact, Gilby brute forced it and signed the log, before it was approved. We also had an issue with another cache that he would not approve until there were additional discussions on location. Let me know if you want me to research these items. These are old issues that have kept us from putting out new caches in EP.

Yes! If you have any emails, documentations we'd like to know what everyone has been experiencing because I haven't heard about all of the issues or the different details that have been experienced with Stu. I've basically had very lengthy application times where it's taken months sometimes for me to get an approval and I thought that was bad enough til I started hearing more and it's time to create change if possible.
Magaroni
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there. If anybody needs any of their emails or anything printed out, email them to me at maggiemaymn@gmail.com and I will print and bring them.
ThePurplePuppy
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I can't make it tonight here's my thought...I've been an EP resident for the last 16 years and geocaching for the last 2 years. As I started looking into placing caches and looking at the process to get it approved, I have avoided it. I've placed a cache in a Bloomingtion park to avoid the headache of what I've been told about EP Parks. I would love to place more caches in EP, but as crazy as life is... the few hoops the better. Michelle
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There does need to be some sort of process for when caches are archived.

In the example I'm thinking of, Surfer Joe archived a cache because it was temp disabled for 3 months. I tried to place a cache very near by, and it was denied. Stu reached out to the cacher who originally placed it, and they expressed an intent to replace the cache.

Turns out at this point, the cache has been replaced and un-archived. So in this case, the cacher did end up continuing the cache. But at what point do you "lose your license" to hide a cache in that spot? And how does Stu find out?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a large part of this is that there are two controlling factions here, both controlling the same parts of the same thing. It ends up being confusing to all, especially the cache owners.

My hope is that we'll be able to identify WHY there's a registration policy in the first place. What is EP gaining by having cachers obtain permits?

Can this function be combined with the normal reviewing of the cache? Part of that answer lies in the "why" that I'm hoping we'll learn tonight. If there are certain off-limits areas beyond what's already posted in the policy then that can be an issue. If the permit process is to enforce things like 528' then that's a task that's already being done. The reviewer can also keep caches out of pre-designated areas if EP is willing to provide some files depicting those areas (this is already proven with both St. Paul and Dakota County).

By having EP try to manage things like proximity, without having an accurate picture of the situation (archived caches, moved caches, etc), it appears to be leading to a mess for everyone and a duplication of efforts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: