MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

State Parks closed for wind damage cleanup????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: State Parks closed for wind damage cleanup???? Reply with quote

I was talking to my mom last night and she said the parks are closed due to the wind damage the other day. I know we did have to move a tree in Savanna Portage the other day.

I can find NOTHING about this on the DNR site, the Strib, and "CCO. Is there any truth to what she heard? We're heading to the west coast next week and hoping to get three more of the parks on our way through to Fargo.

BTW, thanks to all who have offered pointers to my incessant requests for feedback planning our trips here and there for the DeLorme. We managed last week after two previous failed efforts to get up to the north woods and BWCA. Colors were spectacular, weather amazing and we did the Maymaygwhishi canoe cache. We have more we still hope to do up there, so much to see and do.
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havn't heard anything about this. I do know that it was windy the other day though!!!
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall St Croix State Park being closed after the government shutdown due to blowdown from the July 2nd storm... That's all I've heard...
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what the heck she was talking about. We visited St. Croix park a couple weeks ago right after it reopened, and they really got hammered. Now I suppose they're six steps backward again from this latest storm.

Now I'm really wondering what on earth my mom heard, but I don't think anyone here can answer that one for me! Thanks.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

St Croix was closed for a while because of the July storm damage, it is believed that the shutdown actually saved lives in that park as the damage there was pretty bad from what I heard. I was in the area shooting a story a day or two after and it was pretty bad, so I don't doubt that it took them quite a while to get back up and running. Haven't heard of any recent ones though.
X51hz
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems to be some state parks in Wi not MN.

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/941218/14/State-parks-remain-closed-in-Door-County-Wis
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X51hz wrote:
seems to be some state parks in Wi not MN.

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/941218/14/State-parks-remain-closed-in-Door-County-Wis

Is your mom in door county Very Happy.
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

St. Croix was totally ravaged by the storm. They are still hauling trees out of the park that blew down in July. As a result, their Safari Multi Cache is now a traditional P&G with no hiking. I'm guessing that the previous final cache location was in an area that is no longer accessible due to the damage.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGilby4 wrote:
St. Croix was totally ravaged by the storm. They are still hauling trees out of the park that blew down in July. As a result, their Safari Multi Cache is now a traditional P&G with no hiking. I'm guessing that the previous final cache location was in an area that is no longer accessible due to the damage.

If I remember right it was in a pretty heavily wooded area, so I'm not surprised at all. Not too terribly far from some sort of building (not the main ranger station, but another in the park) of course I may be thinking of another park too....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: