MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GSAK 8 Beta is out
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psubrian wrote:
Sky King 36 wrote:
Sharknose Bunnies wrote:
I use a half dozen or so macros all the time with GSAK. If they work with 8, I'll switch. If not, I'll likely wait until they do.
SNB, I use a pretty good list of macros, I have 20 installed but use about 10 on a nearly daily basis, and all worked as-is going from 7 to 8.

I would love to see a list of what macros you find to be most beneficial. I have certainly come across some, but still relatively new to GSAK, it would be nice to see a "Best of GSAK" kind of list.

I wouldn't mind seeing a list of favorites too. I sometimes don't feel I make the best use of GSAK. My favorites:
FindStatGen3. gsk - statistics generator
GridKiller.gsk - difficulty/terrain grid
MyGMEv3.gsm - my most recent discovery and most useful to map out a puzzle run (maps all caches in a filter).

I mostly use GSAK to save the solved puzzle coords and I filter to find the puzzles I have or haven't solved/found.
kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the following frequently:
Findstats3
GoogleEarthCircles - this one plots out from your filter the 161m radius around existing caches so you can see how close you are.

I use other ones, but those are the two I use the most.
Sky King 36
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my faves and what they do...

Generating Stats:

FindGenStat3 : the tool that generates my profile on gc.com
GenUploadStats: Runs the genstats macro above and uploads to my GC profile
PSGPlugin_PinboardMap : FSG Plugins add optional features and maps to FindGenStat above

Loading GPS Receivers:

GarminCsvPoiExport-v2 : the macro that I use to load my Garmin 60csx - Don't run this much any more since I started using NeonGeo on my android so much.
GPX_by_Cache_Type : The jjreds macro that I use to load my Nuvi

Working with caches in GSAK:

Review_For_Archive_API : A macro that helps automate the process of identifying, and then moving or deleting archived caches from GSAK. Requires Version 8.
Google_Map_V3 : Generates a google map of the selected caches
HTML_Google Maps Nearest : Not a macro you "run", but rather, adds a new kind of split screen map view in GSAK

The usefulness of a lot of these depends on how you use GSAK. Some just load several PQs into GSAK, create one big export to their GPS, and then they're done with that data... the next time, they delete all the data, load the new PQs in, and repeat. This is the transient data model. I use the persistent data model. Cache data from the twin cities flows into, and then stays, in my GSAK database.

I have one big data base of about 12,000 caches that get updated by a weekly series of PQs. I use this to load my GPSes maybe once a week. I keep all my finds and notes in GSAK. I will use the corrected coords function when I solve puzzles. My finds stay in this data base, and, my hides are in it too. Periodically then I check for archived caches and move those entries to a second database called "archived".

Now, with the API and the advent of NeonGeo, I may gradually stop running PQs the way I do and rely more heavily on the API.
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The three macros I use the most are BadgeGen.gsk, FindStatGen3.gsk, and garmin-nuvi-exportgpx.gsk. The latter is the one that is the most useful to me and the one I am most concerned about losing with GSAK 8. It loads the caches into my Garmin Nuvi so that I'm not so prone to watch my handheld GPSr while driving. Now I wouldn't do that, would I? Shocked

Sky King 36
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aix sponsa wrote:
...garmin-nuvi-exportgpx.gsk. ... is the most useful to me and the one I am most concerned about losing with GSAK 8. It loads the caches into my Garmin Nuvi so that I'm not so prone to watch my handheld GPSr while driving.

Are you still using that? pilotsnipes decided to stop development about 2 years ago, at which time he offered all his code to jjreds, who now develops the follow-on called "GPX_by_Cache_Type". it is slightly different in the way it works, but mostly the same code base. It creates subcategories on your Nuvi, so after you go into "Custom POI" there is a list of cache types, like "traditional", "multi", "found", etc... It runs slower than pilotsnipes but I have used it ever since pilotsnipes fizzled.

At any rate, both the pilotsnipes and the jjreds macros work in GSAK 8 as-is.
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pricing information is out: http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=19776

The full post has more details, but here's the gist:

Quote:

I can confirm that the outright cost of version 8 will be the same - $30

However, anyone that currently has a V7 registration can upgrade to V8 with a discount.

The following discount structure will apply:

Anyone that purchases V7 at the new cost of $30 will get a free upgrade to V8. Another words, anyone purchasing a registration after 1st October will be entitled to a free upgrade to V8

If purchased V7 3 months before the price increase (1st June to 30th September) - $5 for the upgrade

Virtually these users are just paying the price increase for V8. If they had waited until V8 was released then they would have paid $5 more than their original V7 registraion.

If purchased V7 3-9 months before the price increase - $10 for the upgrade
If purchased V7 9-24 months before the price increase - $15 for the upgrade
If purchased V7 over 24 months before the price increase - $20 for the upgrade

Version 6 users can get a token discount of $5, so $25 for the upgrade to V8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: