MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

newbie help - oregon 550t use

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andysuave
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: newbie help - oregon 550t use Reply with quote

I just started caching about 4 months ago and I am still not sure how to use my gps. I have a garmin oregon 550t. I can add coordinates to go to but I can not figure out how to use the coordinates as my destination on the compass. I see it on the map but not on the compass direction. Thanks in advance for any help.

Andy

edit by PH to make the subject a little more informative
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First go to Geocaching.com then plug your GPS into your computer. Then, go to the page of the cache that you want to find and click 'Send to my GPS' and a small window will pop up then click on write and then when it's done unplug your GPS then touch the 'Geocaches' button and touch the 'Find a Geocache' button and then touch the cache that you want to find and then click 'go' then close out that window and click 'compass' and you're set to go. Not sure if this was your question. If I'm not describing this clear enough let me know and I can explain in more detail.
andysuave
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply but I get how to do all that. I'm trying to figure out how to get my compass to direct me too coordinates for puzzles. I have solved a few but can't get close enough to find the actual cache.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to assume you've put the final coords for the puzzle in your GPS as a waypoint? If not, and they are written down, select "Mark a Waypoint" then edit, edit the coords (one of the choices) put the correct coords in, then once you are done "x" out of that, then select "Where to" then select waypoint. (You can change the name too and search for the name, otherwise remember what number it assigns it) from there it should take you to that ground zero, as if it were a cache.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And once you've selected and chosen to go to that waypoint, exit out of that and click on the compass thingy and the direction arrow will appear.
andysuave
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have it, thanks for the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: