MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Three Rivers Parks don't read maps.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: Three Rivers Parks don't read maps. Reply with quote

Apparently the Three Rivers Park admin doesn't care to read maps or the cache pages when she checks on newly placed caches.

sui generis got an email from Marlene Witucki about "our" recently placed cache "Stonehenge" down in Dakota County Park's Spring Lake Park Reserve. She claimed it was controlled by Three Rivers and that we needed to register it.

Now, this is bothersome on several levels. First she contacted sui generis instead of me even though if you click the profile link at the top it's owned by me. It's obvious that her understanding of the site is at a minimum. Second, she didn't even bother to read the cache page OR check the maps available to see if the cache was in fact placed in a Three Rivers Park.

I took the time to link to the Dakota County Park's webpage in my description. In fact it's right at the top: A beautiful multi in my favorite park in the Twin Cities metro: Spring Lake Park Reserve/Schaar's Bluff. I also put this little comment at the bottom of the description: And I would like to especially thank Dakota County Parks for keeping such a beautiful park open to the public without an entry fee required..

So I emailed Marlene back immediately and explained the situation but I have yet to hear a response. I know that I am in the right in this situation but what would have happened if this was a newer hider? They would have been left confused perhaps even thinking that they have to register all caches with Three Rivers.

I will be calling Marlene today to speak with her if I do not receive a response via email soon.

What does everyone else think?
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does everyone else think?

It's Friday. I don't get paid enough to think on Friday.

Quote:
I've had a number of contacts with Marlene: the initial cache registrations, the renewals after the first year, the "negotiations" for the cache I placed in an *undeveloped* park (that's a whole thread by itself), requesting and getting approval for an event that never happened, etc. etc.

There is a difference between Spring Lake Regional Park and Spring Lake Park Reserve, just in the name. I don't understand the confusion of Three Rivers ??
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I thought it was in reference to Stonehenge too, as that is out only actual "cache" in Spring Lake Park. However, I am willing to bet that the letter was in reference to the Spring Lake Park Kachetoberfest event that we have planned for next weekend.

Regardless, the same errors apply. The map was accurate, and I also had a link to the park's website on the cache page. I did, however, have to spend an hour trying to figure out what the rational discrepancy was, and why three rivers would be sending me a notice on a cache (without referencing which cache) that they didn't appear to have jurisdiction over. 5 minutes reviewing the page would have answered her questions and not placed the onus of the work required by her premature judgments on my head. I wouldn't mind so much if I actually did place caches in three rivers from time to time, but I don't. As such, I am a bit irritated. It is fine if they wish to create red tape and hoops to jump through for those who use thier parks for this type of activity, but how about leaving the rest of us alone?!?
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sui generis wrote:
Actually, I thought it was in reference to Stonehenge too, as that is out only actual "cache" in Spring Lake Park. However, I am willing to bet that the letter was in reference to the Spring Lake Park Kachetoberfest event that we have planned for next weekend.

Ah ha, that makes perfect sense! She did mention my name in the email but she contacted you. So I apologize for claiming she didn't understand how to use the site.

The rest of the discussion does stand, as sui generis has stated, as she still failed to read anything other than the name of the cache.

Thanks for clearing that up sui!
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least we answered her e-mail. It may have been amusing to ignore it. Imagine her sending out park rangers or city workers, or whoever to remove the cache:

1. It would be quite a drive; and
2. It is an event cache, not a physical cache.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sui generis wrote:
At least we answered her e-mail. It may have been amusing to ignore it. Imagine her sending out park rangers or city workers, or whoever to remove the cache:

1. It would be quite a drive; and
2. It is an event cache, not a physical cache.

It would be like finding a KB cache. Hmmm, I'm in the middle of a field where the heck could that cookie tin be? Smile
bobhiker
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three Rivers Park District has some land just north of Spring Lake just west of Prior Lake. If you view the map on the TRPD web site, pull up the PDF version and it is the green section just north of the lake. It is an area that is yet undeveloped and not officially a park. I am not sure of all the reasons why and what they mean. KB put a cache in there and it did not get approved. I guess it might be on their list of prohibited parks to place a cache.

Marlene volunteered to monitor these caches within their parks. It is largely due to her good work that these policies were developed to allow geocaching in Three Rivers Parks. She may have made a mistake on this one due to the similar name of the parks. I am sure if you explain it, that will be the end of it.

Three River's list of parks that do not permit geocaching in is a lot shorter than the DNR's total ban on it. Funny how I see folks complaining about a few policies to adhere to, and nothing about not being able to cache at all in our state parks. Let me tell you, it would have been a lot easier to issue a total ban of this activity than to implement and monitor policies on geocaching. Do not think that the DNR is not watching how this policy works out.

If we could get some policy on caching in our state parks, would that be better than the total ban that has been in effect since May of 2002?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobhiker wrote:
She may have made a mistake on this one due to the similar name of the parks. I am sure if you explain it, that will be the end of it.

I did explain to her in an email the situation (as I understood it at the time) but I have yet to receive a response. As I stated above I am glad that she contacted someone with a bit more time under their belt rather than someone that might not be fully aware of the TRPD's territory. It could cause some serious confusion.

Quote:
Funny how I see folks complaining about a few policies to adhere to, and nothing about not being able to cache at all in our state parks.

This has nothing to do with either. It has to do with a careless mistake that would have been easily avoided if the reviewer had looked at the map or took the time to read past the cache's title.

Quote:
If we could get some policy on caching in our state parks, would that be better than the total ban that has been in effect since May of 2002?

Again, I'm not sure what this has to do with the current discussion. We haven't had any dealings with the DNR that I know of at least in the last year other than for CITO. I'm sure that the DNR is perfectly happy to have it remain that way. Bobhiker, prehaps you would like to lead a discuss at the next meeting to educate those of us that started caching post-ban. It may give some inspiration to those of us that are actively involved in caching.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobhiker wrote:
She may have made a mistake on this one due to the similar name of the parks. I am sure if you explain it, that will be the end of it.

I did explain to her in an email the situation (as I understood it at the time) but I have yet to receive a response. As I stated above I am glad that she contacted someone with a bit more time under their belt rather than someone that might not be fully aware of the TRPD's territory. It could cause some serious confusion.

Quote:
Funny how I see folks complaining about a few policies to adhere to, and nothing about not being able to cache at all in our state parks.

This has nothing to do with either. It has to do with a careless mistake that would have been easily avoided if the reviewer had looked at the map or had taken the time to read past the cache's title.

Quote:

Again, I'm not sure what this has to do with the current discussion. We haven't had any dealings with the DNR that I know of at least in the last year other than for CITO. I'm sure that the DNR is perfectly happy to have it remain that way. Bobhiker, prehaps you would like to lead a discussion at the next meeting to educate those of us that started caching post-ban. It may give some inspiration to those of us that are actively involved in caching.

Last edited by Marsha and Silent Bob on Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Marlene is just having a bad week. Either that, or somebody swiped her gc.com login.

She approved my cache registration in Bryant Regional Park on Sept. 16th. Yet she emailed me yesterday and asked me to register it.

I replied to her yesterday with the following email, and have not gotten a response...

Code:
On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 01:29:55PM -0700, mwitucki@threeriversparkdistrict.org wrote:
> --This message was sent through the Geocaching.com web site--
>
> You are listed as having a cache at Bryant Lake Park. Please register your
>  cache with Three Rivers Park District.  You can access the information on
> www:Threeriversparkdistrict.org.  Follow the prompts to Geocache Registrations.
> Thank you.
> Marlene Witucki, Geocache Administrator

Hi Marlene:

I already did register this cache with you.  Wasn't this
email I got from you the acknowledgement?

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:04:47 -0500
    From: Marlene Witucki <MWitucki@threeriversparkdistrict.org>
    Subject: Geocaching
    To: rickr@mn.rr.com

Received your cache registration at Bryant Lake Regional Park.  Thank
    you and happy caching.

Marlene Witucki
    Department of Program and Facility Services
    Work No. (763) 559-6749
    Fax (763) 559-3287

Confused,

Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: