MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blaine regulations
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Blaine regulations Reply with quote

I just learned of this today:

http://www.ci.blaine.mn.us/index.cfm?id=901573

Code:
Geocaching Guidelines in Blaine Parks

1. All caches placed in Blaine Parks must be registered, unregistered caches will be removed.
   2. Caches must not be buried and be accessible from a standing position.
   3. Caches must not contain items that are offensive, dangerous, or illegal.
   4. Blaine Park and Recreation retains the right to remove, or have removed, a cache it feels is in an inappropriate location or is causing undue impact on the natural habitat.
   5. Caches must be at least 1/2 mile apart, and 1/10 of a mile from an existing trail.
   6. Caches need to be public, no member only or subscription caches.
   7. Individuals will be limited to (2) caches per park and/or a total of (5) caches throughout the park system.
   8. Caches are not allowed in picnic areas, play areas, and the beach.
   9. Geocaching may only occur during normal park hours 5:00am - 10:00pm.

This policy...well...is about as bad as it gets. I would hope that the board will be able to make some significant progress towards something better for all.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what brought this on. I have sent an email to the Director of Parks and Recreation to see if he would be willing to meet and discuss the policy with the MnGCA.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5. Caches must be at least 1/2 mile apart, and 1/10 of a mile from an existing trail.

Well that eliminates most caches. A long bushwhack for the few that remain Shocked .
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This appears to be pretty similar to Anoka County (which makes sense I guess), but using the 1/2 mile from Ramsey County.

Almost like they looked at different policies and picked the most restrictive parts...
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Blaine regulations Reply with quote

Oh my!
Pear Head wrote:
and be accessible from a standing position.

Huh? I don't understand that.

The whole thing kinda makes you feel criminal, doesn't it? I've lived through similar with my local community. It almost seems like they don't WANT people to use their parks!
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Blaine regulations Reply with quote

KRedEP wrote:
Oh my!
Pear Head wrote:

The whole thing kinda makes you feel criminal, doesn't it? I've lived through similar with my local community. It almost seems like they don't WANT people to use their parks!

I am confused by that one as well?! Surprised they did not put a height requirement to better clarify what they mean by standing position.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are their three caches 1/2 mile apart?
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see the retrieval team at some of TopGear's Evil Twisted Evil caches.
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Blaine regulations Reply with quote

KRedEP wrote:
Oh my!
Pear Head wrote:

I suppose that is a way to say no tree climbing without saying 'no tree climbing'. Us parks boards people (not from Blaine) like to pretend we can talk all pretty like lawyers Laughing
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Blaine regulations Reply with quote

WestSideDaddy wrote:
KRedEP wrote:
Oh my!
Pear Head wrote:

I suppose that is a way to say no tree climbing without saying 'no tree climbing'. Us parks boards people (not from Blaine) like to pretend we can talk all pretty like lawyers Laughing

I actually thought just the opposite; they don't want people crawling under bridges and other structures.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Blaine regulations Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
WestSideDaddy wrote:
KRedEP wrote:
Oh my!
Pear Head wrote:

I actually thought just the opposite; they don't want people crawling under bridges and other structures.

They can make all kinds of silly requirements for hiders they want. Bottom line is, the average finder won't know crap about the policy and will still crawl under the bridge.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where I believe the McGCA (as in all members) receives and maintains it's validation, much moreso than other functions such as, recruiting new members, the social aspect which we all enjoy, etc. The membership needs to be aware of what is going on in the local level, watching the policies which are coming up for review within a locality, and lobbying board members and commissioners (if not sitting on decisionmaking boards) to educate them to make the best local policies.

I am a firm believer that the geocaching.com guidelines and review procedures are very adequate and, if followed, public policymakers could and would in most cases accept them as adequate. The policymakers need to be educated prior to coming down with poor policies, however.

Another way the McGCA membership can help greatly is by self policing when the guidelines are not followed. If poor policy does not come from lack of education, I think it comes from poor cache experience, which I bet can mostly be traced to not following the guidelines to start with. It's okay to inform cachers that their actions in some way could give the game a black eye in the community.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
This is where I believe the McGCA (as in all members) receives and maintains it's validation, much moreso than other functions such as, recruiting new members, the social aspect which we all enjoy, etc. The membership needs to be aware of what is going on in the local level, watching the policies which are coming up for review within a locality, and lobbying board members and commissioners (if not sitting on decisionmaking boards) to educate them to make the best local policies.

+1

Quote:
I am a firm believer that the geocaching.com guidelines and review procedures are very adequate and, if followed, public policymakers could and would in most cases accept them as adequate. The policymakers need to be educated prior to coming down with poor policies, however.

+1

Quote:
Another way the McGCA membership can help greatly is by self policing when the guidelines are not followed. If poor policy does not come from lack of education, I think it comes from poor cache experience, which I bet can mostly be traced to not following the guidelines to start with. It's okay to inform cachers that their actions in some way could give the game a black eye in the community.

+1
emmanogoldfish
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Blaine regulations Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:

Code:

1. All caches placed in Blaine Parks must be registered, unregistered caches will be removed.
   4. Blaine Park and Recreation retains the right to remove, or have removed, a cache it feels is in an inappropriate location or is causing undue impact on the natural habitat.
   7. Individuals will be limited to (2) caches per park and/or a total of (5) caches throughout the park system.

This policy...well...is about as bad as it gets. I would hope that the board will be able to make some significant progress towards something better for all.

Looks like a great policy. Although what is the meaning of "and 1/10 of a mile from an existing trail."?
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Blaine regulations Reply with quote

emmanogoldfish wrote:
Pear Head wrote:

Code:

Looks like a great policy. Although what is the meaning of "and 1/10 of a mile from an
existing trail."?

It means you better lock your bike.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: