MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garden Island
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
poeanddle
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Garden Island Reply with quote

Hi all,
Just in case anyone is interested, Paul and I have booked a boat out to Garden Island with Captain Deb in the Northwest Angle. We are spending a few days in northern Minnesota finishing up the State Parks Wildlife Safari series.

We are scheduled to depart for the island at about 11:00 on next Wednesday, June 23, and have room for 6 to 8 others.

Please contact me if you are interested.

Dixie Enersen
msrubble
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reusing this topic, since it does not have a specific date or year attached to the title.

I have booked a trip with Captain Deb to Garden Island next Saturday, August 27. We will be leaving Youngs Bay (Angle Inlet) mid-morning.

If anyone else would like to come along and split the cost, please PM me. There is room for 7 more passengers.
msrubble
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I can sweeten the offer.

I am going unless the boat captain says it's too dangerous.

If you are free this Saturday and would like to make the trip to Garden Island, but are concerned about being on the hook for a lot of money, I would only ask fellow passengers to chip in what they would if the boat was full. So about $30-35 per person.

Please let me know by Thursday evening if you are interested. Let's say, by 7:30 p.m.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have caught people at a bad time. A lot of people will be attending the events in Hibbing and Grand Rapids this weekend. I had hoped I'd see you at one of them!
kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to go along, but by the time I saw the post it was a bit late for me to make plans.
jackofalltrades001
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Let's Try This Again! Reply with quote

I attended both events that weekend up in Grand Rapids and Hibbing. Let's try to get another one of these trips setup with a bunch of lead time for cachers to plan ahead. What do you all think? Question
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Try This Again! Reply with quote

jackofalltrades001 wrote:
I attended both events that weekend up in Grand Rapids and Hibbing. Let's try to get another one of these trips setup with a bunch of lead time for cachers to plan ahead. What do you all think? Question

As someone who's found the cache, I'd be willing to offer my $0.02:

It's a lot of money and time to find an ammo can hidden on an island that's otherwise empty. Confused
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Try This Again! Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
jackofalltrades001 wrote:

As someone who's found the cache, I'd be willing to offer my $0.02:

It's a lot of money and time to find an ammo can hidden on an island that's otherwise empty. Confused

It's the adventure.

If the timing were perfect, I'd go for a third time. I'd bring the good camera next time.
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: More than an ammo can for me Reply with quote

When I went to Garden Island it was a great adventure. I found caches in Warroad and all the caches on the Northwest Angle, used the phone at Jim's Corner, took pictures at the border, found the benchmarks, picked up a couple of Canadian caches, stopped by the fort with Captain Deb and found the cache there, met a bunch of great cachers both Canadian and American, and last but not least found the cache on Garden Island. That was after taking a 100+ mile detour only to find out later the detour didn't apply on weekends. Rolling Eyes. I thought that the price was a real steal for all of that, even with the detour. The cost was divided between all of us riders. It was a full boat. I didn't spend the night before or after so I didn't have the costs of a hotel. I didn't quite make it back the night after all the excitement. Luckily I traveled alone so I was good with pulling over to sleep in my car for awhile.

bigred_librarian
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Sept 4th. Reply with quote

I am heading to the island with my family on Sunday, Sept 4th at 10:00am. Contact Captain Deb if you are interested in tagging along. Should be fun. We will be camping at Zippel Bay Fri, Sat and Sun. We would like some company so stop by.

Chris "Big Red Librarian" Erickson
jackofalltrades001
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Sept 4th. Reply with quote

bigred_librarian wrote:
I am heading to the island with my family on Sunday, Sept 4th at 10:00am. Contact Captain Deb if you are interested in tagging along. Should be fun. We will be camping at Zippel Bay Fri, Sat and Sun. We would like some company so stop by.

Sounds fun, however I think were heading your way this weekend down to the cities.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sept 4th. Reply with quote

bigred_librarian wrote:

I want reports on camping at Zippel. I've wanted to camp there for quite some time but can't convince the wife to go that far. So if you provide some ammo, you might be able to help me get there.. Cool
msrubble
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sept 4th. Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
I want reports on camping at Zippel. I've wanted to camp there for quite some time but can't convince the wife to go that far.

Zippel Bay State Park has four campgrounds for the general public, plus a group camp area for primitive camping. All the campgrounds are wooded; you're not out baking in an open field. RVs are allowed. Maximum length of 50 feet, including trailer, popup camper or RV and towing vehicle. I don't think there are electrical hookups anywhere. There is a dump station.

Each campsite has its own picnic table and fire ring with grate.

Each campground has its own drinking water (hand pump), garbage cans, recycling containers, and at least one latrine. There is a shower house shared by all campers, and two handicapped-accessible latrines at the shower house.

It is not crowded.

Two campgrounds (Ridge and Angler's) are connected to trails. One (Lady's-Slipper) is within easy walking distance of a walk-in canoe access, which is a small sandy beach with picnic table, fire ring, and trail access.

Where I stayed I could see the stars at night, was protected from wind by trees, and could hear the lake when it was quiet enough.

It is not that far from Baudette, so if you forget to bring some grocery item, you are not in big trouble.

It's inexpensive!

Some of the campsites are big enough to accommodate a boat: I saw some spots where the people had a truck and tent in the campsite, and a boat across the way.

The Hiking Club trail starts at the beach, and goes along Lake of the Woods and a wildlife viewing area.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Sept 4th. Reply with quote

msrubble wrote:
bflentje wrote:
I want reports on camping at Zippel. I've wanted to camp there for quite some time but can't convince the wife to go that far.

Zippel Bay State Park has four campgrounds for the general public, plus a group camp area for primitive camping. SNIP

Camping at Zippel booked for the weekend of August 3rd.

Assuming the state park system starts a new geocaching program, I'll be planning a junket to Garden Island during that weekend. Calls placed to Young's but they're out while the ice fishing season begins to ramp up.

I already have one confirmed group joining me. We'll be aiming for Friday or Saturday on the cruise to the island. Sunday will only be a worst case scenario.

If you're interested, you now have enough time to plan and to let me know so we can get a reduced group rate.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy carp has someone been busy in Warroad. The place is filled with geocaches.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: