MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where would you go?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kendrick0861
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Where would you go? Reply with quote

Recently I have been informed that my vacation has been moved to the following week. For me that means the Geocoinfest I was planning to attend is out.
Now here is the question... Where would you go? If you had a free airline ticket anywhere inside the lower 48 states. Many ideas came to mind for me, however the best ones came from other cachers I have met.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For caching I would go to Seattle and visit GC HQ. And the ape cache if it's available again. I'm sure there are many other things to do in Washinton.
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were going to Washington you would have to get GC12
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New England. Rent an RV and hit every state.
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
For caching I would go to Seattle and visit GC HQ. And the ape cache if it's available again. I'm sure there are many other things to do in Washinton.

+1

Or...

I just came back from Washington D.C. and that was pretty cool as well. Get boatloads of virtuals, visit lots of great museums. Even without renting a car, you could get Maryland and Virginia as well.

If you rent a car for a few days you could do a loop around the area and pick up Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, West Virginia as well. If you're into accumulating states, that is.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Devil35 wrote:
New England. Rent an RV and hit every state.

Ditto, I'd go back to Maine and New Hampshire in a heartbeat. Cape Cod is back on the list too.

But I am personally headed to the WA and OR next summers road cruise.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What time if year is your vacation. The NE may be getting a little wet here is a couple of days.

Other that geocaching what interests do you have? Are you talking about going solo or with a family? What time of year is the vacation.

What are your geocaching goals?

Every state has something to offer. If you want something new, go somewhere you have never been before. I love the I-25 stretch from Wyoming to New Mexico for caching just because of the beauty and diversity of the caching. Desert/plains on the east side. Mountains on the west side.

I love the eastern Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana loop which can be done in a few days.

Time of year also dictates what type of weather you are going to run into. So more information is necessary.

Bottom line, if purpose is to go geocaching, every state in the lower 48 has something to offer. Go somewhere new that you haven't been just to experience the different terrain.

Warning, each state has its own hazards to cachers as well. Make sure you understand the dangers in those states. Example, down south fire ants, huge spider webs between bushes, snakes and such.
kendrick0861
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vacation starts in October on Wednesday the 19th until Thursday the 27th. Likely it would be a solo trip for caching (possible only the weekend in the middle). Just thinking of a good way to use this time with the benefits I have.
One idea I had was from a cacher from AZ was to plan a trip to see Warthog down GCGC55. This one would be difficult but it could be worth it to see.

Some ideas I have already planned and done are the Project APE Cache in WA in 2009, then visited MT Rainer and the Block Party this year.

Visited Flagstaff AZ and the Grand Canyon.

Even went to the Paul and Babes Geo Event in Brainerd with my son.

Went to Florida for a few days too but didnt get a chance to cache there.

This time however I might still go to Charlette, NC in the area around Rock Hill or go to Whitewater Falls at GCJZ46.

But this post isn't necessarily about me. Its cool to hear about some places we would like to someday see if we had the time and opportunity.[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: