MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baylor Regional Park Stargazing Event: November 6, 2004
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Baylor Regional Park Stargazing Event: November 6, 2004 Reply with quote

Well, mtn-man refused to approve my event page, as it apparently wasn't focused enough on geocaching. So, here's the scoop on the stargazing event.

When: Saturday, November 6, 2004 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Where: Baylor Regional Park, Norwood-Young America, MN
Why: To introduce interested geocachers to the beauty of the night sky.

Please join me and other members of the Minnesota Astronomical Society's Onan Observatory for an evening under the stars. The Milky Way is quite visible from this location. If the skies are clear, we'll be viewing galaxies, nebulae, star clusters, and perhaps even the Northern Lights. Our observatory has a very large telescope, and other members may bring their telescope equipment for public viewing as well. There is no cost to enter the park for this event.

Here are some area caches; feel free to visit one or all. There are three in Baylor Park itself:

Santa's Hobbies http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=ba091ccd-64f0-4819-9c61-2b0b7fb5c44d

Iceberg
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=23c1e715-ce85-4483-9fad-4d33b13ca969

1970's Tupperware Flashback 2.0
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a9f3f185-8699-4143-bdde-7f5ff0a2633a

Orphans of Carver County
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=b2723d85-e531-4294-966a-cbb50e65fdc1

Baylor Regional Park
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a9a10550-50e7-4545-b43e-4ab75609e1c2

A Sticky Situation
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=3c747172-a881-4dce-a543-166cfed016d5

Map and directions to Baylor may be found here:
http://www.mnastro.org/onan/directions.htm

Hope to see you there. If you have any questions about this event, please feel free to shoot me an e-mail.
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, mtn-man refused to approve my event page, as it apparently wasn't focused enough on geocaching. So, here's the scoop on the stargazing event.

No way to put some spin on it to make it seem like the caching beforehand is primary with a seminar on astronomy and "navigating by the stars" to follow?

(Or maybe it needs to be tagged with the "get sauced" trademark) Wink

"get sauced" is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. Use of the name without prior approval of either Silent Bob or Kitch will resort in all sorts of bad things including atomic wedgies.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With an "atomic wedgie" you would be gazing at a different set of stars.....

But I heard there is a bar in River Falls...that serves "atomic wediges" ...you drink it out of a "jock cup"
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer deal on the approval.

Seems to me I saw a event posted on gc.com's main page a couple weeks back that was a star gazing sort of event, it got archived because of lack of interest and no one could attend it, but I highly doubt that's the problem here Smile Event or no event I'll plan on goin anyway.
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mtn-man sent me a note along with the archive report. He apologized for not approving it and sent along a copy of the "guidelines for posting a cache". Obviously, I don't have any say about which caches or events can be approved or not, but "if it were up to me", I would probably approve any event that had anything to do with geocaching! But... then I try to see it from a moderator/approver's point of view, and I could see how that might get a bit out of hand. So with that in mind, I can understand why geocaching.com has fairly strict guidelines for their event caches.

Anyway, if we get a pretty good attendance at the Baylor event, I will probably do another one next spring, but I will try to make it more of a geocaching focus instead of an astronomy one.

Hope you can all show up. Bring the kids too, they generally have a really good time at the observatory. Smile
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
But I heard there is a bar in River Falls...that serves "atomic wediges" ...you drink it out of a "jock cup"

Shocked

Now, that's just... wrong. Do they give you some sort of large prize if you actually partake out of the... jock cup??
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzygirl wrote:
Now, that's just... wrong. Do they give you some sort of large prize if you actually partake out of the... jock cup??

I'd personally be happy if they left the "large prize" out of it Wink
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
I'd personally be happy if they left the "large prize" out of it Wink

LOL Very Happy
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so if we don't have any temporary caches at this event, then how is this event any different than an "Earth Cache" (other than not providing a revenue stream for gc.com).

And if we do plant temporary caches, then how is this event any different than any other geo-event? Night caching is the absolute best.

I just don't get it. You must have gotten mtn-man on one of his crabby days. I'd appeal the decision.

-Rick
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm....maybe "silent bob" should have listed it....
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
hmmm....maybe "silent bob" should have listed it....

Wink What are you inferring exactly? That I'm not silent or that I can move mtns? Smile
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What are you inferring exactly? That I'm not silent or that I can move mtns?

Maybe he is just commenting on the odd facial tan you are developing about the nasal region... Wink
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sui generis wrote:
Maybe he is just commenting on the odd facial tan you are developing about the nasal region... Wink

heh. I wear makeup! Shhh.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just that you have been able to move mtns in the past....

"heck I recall" he owes me a favor....
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My permits at Baylor have expired. Carver County Parks (Thanks Lenny !) extended them until the event. They will be removed that night. There is a third cache in the park. It's a beautiful park. Only a few more days to get three quick caches in one area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: