MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Geocaching Challenges Feature...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
termdisc
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Geocaching Guide to the Game link, with my additional commentary related to these so-called Challenges (like kissing a picture of a frog in your kitchen or burping toward St. Paul):

Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor (*NO*) treasure hunting game (*NO*) using GPS-enabled devices (*NO*). Participants navigate (*NO*) to a specific set of GPS coordinates (*NO*) and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location (...let me think: *NO*).
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

termdisc wrote:
Meantime, the suggestion "Bring log date back, please" has over 5,000 votes in about 24 hours.

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/2170437-bring-log-date-back-please?ref=title

Log dates are back. Waaayyy over there on the right.
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a mobile app just for Challenges. It's free (at least on Android). It's actually pretty neat, and much less goofy than the web page.

If there was one for Waymarks, I might actually do a couple.
Laughing
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These new challenges.. they suck, suck and suck.

If you experiemented with accepting a challenge and then marking it as completed, you will find that there is absolutely no way to delete record of it from your profile.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the Challenges gone?

I clicked on find Challenges and was bumped to the GC home page.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
Are the Challenges gone?

It's back up running now.

I did two Challenges yesterday, but this did not change my found count. I thought a find credit was added when you complete this thing.

What's going on with this?
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
Rustynails wrote:
Are the Challenges gone?

I thought a find credit was added when you complete this thing.

If you go to a traditional cache that you have done you get the total including the challenge caches, but in your profile you see a total without the challenge caches. Confusing. Which number do you go by for a milestone cache like say #3,000, do you include the challenge caches or not.
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunter-Killer wrote:
Rustynails wrote:
Rustynails wrote:
Are the Challenges gone?

I thought a find credit was added when you complete this thing.

If you go to a traditional cache that you have done you get the total including the challenge caches, but in your profile you see a total without the challenge caches. Confusing. Which number do you go by for a milestone cache like say #3,000, do you include the challenge caches or not.

Easy solution: Don't do any challenges. Smile
termdisc
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least today you don't have to worry about challenges, since the geocaching website is either non-responsive or unworkably slow. Speculation on the various fora/Facebook etc is that the 'update' (or downdate) this week has slowed everything down - and with the avatars, bar graphs, and other overbuilt new features to load, that speculation seems reasonable to me. Can't find anything from Groundspeak addressing the slowdown, either.

In a recent post, Jeremy said he is not a businessman at heart. Well, it's probably time he hired one.
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I was excited about the "something-like" virtuals that were coming. Then when I saw what Challenges were, I was disappointed. Over the next day or so I started coming around to them a bit.

But the fact that you can't edit a challenge you've created once someone accepts it, the fact that people can create identical/similar/muitiple challenges at the same spot, and the fact that there are only mob-rule quality-control factors in place, have left me nonplussed. The overall sense I get is that the whole thing just wasn't very well thought out.

I've enjoyed creating some challenges, and I was thinking that I'll create a second account to log any.

But more and more I've been realizing that Challenges aren't aimed at geocachers. The app is listed in the Social Networking category, which I think says a lot. Challenges are aimed at broadening the customer base for Groundspeak and drawing in the FourSquare/CheckIn/SocialApp crowd. Which is fine, but in the end I'm not sure I want another activity to do on top of Geocaching. I might do one or two interesting ones now and then, but I think that's about it.
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The app is easy enough to use that I will probably log find complete them as a secondary thing, if I'm near one and feel like I want a little change-up in my day. For instance, we go to the Science Museum once in a while, so TecGeoJim's Challenge down there will be a nice addition.

Interestingly, the API is up and running fine, so mobile apps that use the API have been working all day, despite the main site's implosion.
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another step forward: Instead of just "This Challenge has been archived", they at least tell you the possible reasons why:

http://www.geocaching.com/challenges/view.aspx?cx=CX1EB
mayberryman
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: I did some challenges today. My 2 cents. Reply with quote

My family and I completed 4 challenges today. To be honest, we had a lot of fun. I am not really worried about them not being considered "real finds". We put a lot more energy and effort into "completing" them then finding some caches. The 4 we found today, were not different than the original virtuals. Those that I feel are not worthy of completing I will thumbs down and not complete.
Someone I know is not a huge fan of geocaching, and today they went with us and had a good time completing "challenges".

Not so much a fan of the worldwide challenges. Geocaching should be about going somewhere (specific) and exploring our world. Kissing a frog is not that. I didn't do it. My 2 cents. Smile
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: I did some challenges today. My 2 cents. Reply with quote

mayberryman wrote:
My family and I completed 4 challenges today. To be honest, we had a lot of fun.

I spent time this weekend completing several challenges, and creating my own, and I agree with Mayberryman, we had a lot of fun doing them... that being said, we didn't do any locationless ones, we did ones we had to go to physical places like statues and take our photo at that location doing something.

My only irritant with the system is two fold, 1, I can't disable/archive my challenge, and 2) someone didn't complete my challenge (they posted a photo that didn't satisfy the requirements) and there is no way for me to remove their log
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: I did some challenges today. My 2 cents. Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:

My only irritant with the system is two fold, 1, I can't disable/archive my challenge

I was like, "Dude, you've been doing too many pine tree nanos! There is a button right there to archive challenges you've created!"

But I just checked, and now the button's ... gone. You're right. I can't archive a challenge I've created. I wonder why they took that away? Maybe a lot of people were archiving challenges they created?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: