MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Attributes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Attributes Reply with quote

Not sure how long they've been there but just noticed some cool new attributes today.

- Tree Climbing
- Seasonal Access (puts that snowflake debate to rest)
- Tourist Friendly
- Front Yard (private residence)
- Teamwork Required
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Attributes Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Not sure how long they've been there but just noticed some cool new attributes today.

- Tree Climbing
- Seasonal Access (puts that snowflake debate to rest)
- Tourist Friendly
- Front Yard (private residence)
- Teamwork Required

I noticed those too. It was implemented in the latest update.

bfjente wrote:
(puts that snowflake debate to rest)

What was (and is) the snowflake debate?
team_geomonkey
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just also noticed the "show beginner caches" option when doing a pocket query. If you check that box you get this message: Beginner caches are highlighted in green below and are recommended for new geocachers. Scroll to the bottom and uncheck the setting "Highlight beginner caches" to stop highlighting caches
Is this a new feature??
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Attributes Reply with quote

sigilwig44 wrote:

Here's my understanding. The "snowflake" attribute says that the cache is "available in the winter". Some people take this to mean different things:

1) it's "winter-friendly" - not on the ground, not in the water, etc.
2) literally "available in winter" - the owner doesn't remove the cache during winter months; it is there waiting to be found.

Critics of #2 assert that if the container is removed during winter, the cache should be disabled until the container is replaced. Saying that an enabled cache is "available" is redundant; the cache is there, even if encased in ice underneath 12 feet of hard-packed snow. How bad do you want it?

Critics of #1 assert that winters in this godforsaken state are so unpredictable, calling something "winter-friendly" is just setting people up for disappointment. Like when a plow dumps 5000 cubic feet of dense-packed snow on the hide-a-key on a guardrail.

You can probably search the forum for "snowflake" or "winter friendly" to get a better feel for the debate.

In my limited experience, #1 is the more common view, and it's useful enough that I have a little "*" displayed on my 60CSx if the owner selected the attribute.
Guitar Solo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

team_geomonkey wrote:
I just also noticed the "show beginner caches" option when doing a pocket query. If you check that box you get this message: Beginner caches are highlighted in green below and are recommended for new geocachers. Scroll to the bottom and uncheck the setting "Highlight beginner caches" to stop highlighting caches
Is this a new feature??

As never seeing it before, I belive it is new. I may use this when caching with younger people or people that really don't get geocaching.
swfan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maximum number of attributes is 15 now. Is that also new from the last update?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all apparently new in the last update:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=279237
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Attributes Reply with quote

JJnTJ wrote:
sigilwig44 wrote:

Here's my understanding. The "snowflake" attribute says that the cache is "available in the winter". Some people take this to mean different things:

2) literally "available in winter" - the owner doesn't remove the cache during winter months; it is there waiting to be found.

Critics of #2 assert that if the container is removed during winter, the cache should be disabled until the container is replaced. Saying that an enabled cache is "available" is redundant; the cache is there, even if encased in ice underneath 12 feet of hard-packed snow. How bad do you want it?

Critics of #1 assert that winters in this godforsaken state are so unpredictable, calling something "winter-friendly" is just setting people up for disappointment. Like when a plow dumps 5000 cubic feet of dense-packed snow on the hide-a-key on a guardrail.

You can probably search the forum for "snowflake" or "winter friendly" to get a better feel for the debate.

In my limited experience, #1 is the more common view, and it's useful enough that I have a little "*" displayed on my 60CSx if the owner selected the attribute.

To clarify, the snowflake icon has/had two different definitions depending where on geocaching.com you were looking. I do not know if they are yet consistent but I would guess they are.
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

team_geomonkey wrote:
Is this a new feature??

Yes! That's new too. I wonder how they determine that?

JJnTJ wrote:
sigilwig44 wrote:
What was (and is) the snowflake debate

Ahhhh...

swfan wrote:
The maximum number of attributes is 15 now. Is that also new from the last update?

Yup, that too. I like that new feature!

Pear Head wrote:
These are all apparently new in the last update:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=279237

TFTL (thanks for the link) Laughing.

sigilwig44 wrote:
I wonder how they determine that?

Quote:
Added an option in search results to highlight "beginner caches" (low difficulty/traditional type/recently found etc.)

Ahhhhh... didn't see that.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've broken out most of the discussion that wasn't related to this thread here:

http://mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6198
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: