MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laptop not holding a charge

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Laptop not holding a charge Reply with quote

One of my laptops is a Gateway of which I've replaced the charger two or three times in less than 2 years....now, it won't charge at all and doesn't work when it's even plugged in. If I replace both the battery and the charger, will I pretty much solve the problem, or can there be other issues with it?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Laptop not holding a charge Reply with quote

dmnrec wrote:
One of my laptops is a Gateway of which I've replaced the charger two or three times in less than 2 years....now, it won't charge at all and doesn't work when it's even plugged in. If I replace both the battery and the charger, will I pretty much solve the problem, or can there be other issues with it?

There can be other issues but that's the first thing I'd try. The battery would always be more likely than the charger itself. Especially if age is involved.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some independent battery stores will rebuild laptop batteries. This involves cutting open the case, replacing the rechargeable batteries within, and gluing them back together. Saved me about $50. The place that did mine is no longer doing it, butt others may be.
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies...bought both a replacement battery and a charger on Ebay, so see if that works. I see the exact same model is on sale as Best buy for $329...so don't want to invest too much into it. The battery was $48 and the charger $14. It also has 5 keys busted off, but I'm holding off buying a keyboard. And, yes, it's the one my daughter uses.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmnrec wrote:
Thanks for the replies...bought both a replacement battery and a charger on Ebay, so see if that works. I see the exact same model is on sale as Best buy for $329...so don't want to invest too much into it. The battery was $48 and the charger $14. It also has 5 keys busted off, but I'm holding off buying a keyboard. And, yes, it's the one my daughter uses.

You can get a pretty good laptop on eBay for a hundred bucks. Might beat putting money into parts.
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
dmnrec wrote:

You can get a pretty good laptop on eBay for a hundred bucks. Might beat putting money into parts.

I'm always leary about purchasing electronics on Ebay, but that might be a consideration for my son that has been on me to get his own laptop.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now purchased two laptops online and have been lucky both times. But I did my homework and did not just buy them from anybody. Have to study your seller.
PCC322
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also bought laptops on eBay. The one my wife uses has been upgraded by installing a bigger HD and going from W98 to W2000. It works just fine and has traveled all over the world with us.

The battery failed completely once in a motel room while we were out running around. Same day the car battery did the same thing in a Wall Mart parking lot. Car now has a Wall Mart battery, and dBay for the laptop battery.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: