MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adopting a Cache

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Adopting a Cache Reply with quote

Say I have a cache that I want to put out for adoption, how do you do this?

Thanks.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Adopting a Cache Reply with quote

sigilwig44 wrote:

Thanks.

Find someone that wants to adopt it.

Go to www.geocaching.com/adopt
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Adopting a Cache Reply with quote

sigilwig44 wrote:

Thanks.

I'm just curious on why you would choose to advertise for adoption over simply archiving it and freeing up the real estate?
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: Adopting a Cache Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
sigilwig44 wrote:

Thanks.

Find someone that wants to adopt it.

Go to www.geocaching.com/adopt

OK, so I do that and then I get this:

I enter in a GC code (just to experiment) and it says you have not been asked to adopt this listing, it gives me no option to put it out for adoption, how do I do that? Thanks.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: Adopting a Cache Reply with quote

sigilwig44 wrote:

I enter in a GC code (just to experiment) and it says you have not been asked to adopt this listing, it gives me no option to put it out for adoption, how do I do that? Thanks.

You have to enter a GC code for a cache that you either own or that you've been asked to adopt (where the cache owner starts the process here). You can't just enter a random GC code.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Adopting a Cache Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
sigilwig44 wrote:

Thanks.

I'm just curious on why you would choose to advertise for adoption over simply archiving it and freeing up the real estate?

I've adopted a few different area caches over the years, all by people who have exited geocaching for whatever reason. I've mostly done it for caches that I've enjoyed, and usually with the understanding that my maintenance would be limited to perhaps changing out the logbook or removing the remains if/when it came to that.

In some areas what you're asking makes good sense to me (and probably for some of the caches that I've adopted over time), but in some of the more remote areas the space isn't really the issue.

I've usually done it for caches that I've considered worthy of adopting, either because of it's location or the hide, or perhaps even the memories associated with the cache.
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: Re: Adopting a Cache Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
sigilwig44 wrote:

You have to enter a GC code for a cache that you either own or that you've been asked to adopt (where the cache owner starts the process here). You can't just enter a random GC code.

Ahhh... I did do one I thought was a GC code of mine but apparently isn't. Thanks again.
NeverSummer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Adopting a Cache Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
sigilwig44 wrote:

Thanks.

I've always looked at it as a way to give your cache another life. Some caches are easy to abandon and archive, but others have a special reason for being around. If someone is interested in adopting, "Why not?" I say. If nobody wants to adopt it, then it gets archived.

That way, the new owner can pay homage to its history and keep it going, or do what they like with the hide (improve a container, update the description, etc)

For example, I adopted out as many of a series I owned from living in Oregon. Some adopted, others did not. When they "go missing", I archive them and ask someone I know to remove the geotrash. I've also adopted caches that were old, and in some ways grandfathered into areas where they wouldn't currently be allowed if it were a new listing.

It's all in how you look at it...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: