MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Save that Date!--MnGCA Campout Sept. 18-19
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Construction on Hwy 53. Reply with quote

If anyone from the south is actually planning on driving through Duluth instead of cutting across MN33, note that there is a large amount of construction on Hwy 53. From I-35 you will be detoured up Mesaba Ave and then MN194 until it rejoins 53. It's fairly well marked. Piedmont Ave (53) is in the middle of a multi-year construction project. You cannot snake your way on the side streets unless you *really* know where you're going - the detour really is the best way to go (I end up taking the detour now on the way to and from work each day).

There is also shoulder work and repaving being done on 53 northwest of the Miller Hill Mall area but south of MN33. Most of the work is being done at night but there is activity there during the day as well.

This is all avoided if you don't come into Duluth (although we have lots of good caches!)

I also ran into a couple of spots of construction last night on US53 that were north of MN33 but south of the Anchor Lake Rest Area (south of the event). They were both very short areas of construction that appeared to be over bridges. Nothing more than slowing traffic down when I was there.

I've noticed a LARGE amount of law enforcement in construction areas recently. Watch your speed for your pocketbook's sake as well as the worker's sake.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Team Hooligan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Looking Good Reply with quote

Sorry to hear Towlebooth and Jillibean are not going to make it. Would have been good to see you again. Weather forecast is for Partly Cloudy skies and 78 on Saturday. I will be kayaking this afternoon to put out the water only temporary cache. Look forward to seeing some familar faces and meeting new ones. See you there. Laughing

~Team Hooligan.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had an excellent time at the event. Thanks again to RJ and Team Hooligan for setting it all up. Thanks to eagleeyes for suggesting such a great campground. Nice fireplaces, great sites, and a beautiful lake.

Nice meeting everyone and hanging out with the Usual Suspects.

I uploaded some pics to my log of the event but they are also here: http://gallery.lazylightning.org/gc-20040919

Marsha and I took a side trip over to Duluth today and enjoyed the absolutely gorgeous weather. We took time to tour the William A. Irvin as Marsha's grandfather worked this boat back in the day. It was a great tour and it was nice for us to connect with her heritage.

Thanks again everyone and I look forward to a spring campout? Wink
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks again everyone and I look forward to a spring campout?

Heh
Team Hooligan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey what a great time! The girls and I really enjoyed this event, it was great to meet a lot of people behind the names I have been reading for years. Who knew Silent Bob wasn't silent, and Moe the Sleaze doesn't really look like a sleaze. Had a great time look forward to more events in the future. Happy Caching..... Laughing
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks can be deceiving! Laughing
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
Looks can be deceiving! Laughing

You're really young and I'm really thin?
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it was a success!

Hooligan, Bob or Moe - could one of you write up an article for the web site. I promise to post it quickly. Embarassed

Bob - can I use your photos (with a link to your site of course)?

towlebooth
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody written this up yet? Question
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sui generis wrote:
Has anybody written this up yet? Question

Yup. My bad. Soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: