MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A BB event

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: A BB event Reply with quote

OK, I saw the submit an event thing under my profile but I really don't know how to submit an event, i'm thinking of doing a BB event but can someone please give me step by step instructions please. That would be very helpful. Just one more thing, can I host a BB event or not.
Guitar Solo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: A BB event Reply with quote

sigilwig44 wrote:
OK, I saw the submit an event thing under my profile but I really don't know how to submit an event, i'm thinking of doing a BB event but can someone please give me step by step instructions please. That would be very helpful. Just one more thing, can I host a BB event or not.

You can't post Breakfast Buddies unless you are on the MnGCA board. You can suggest to them where a good place is, though. I recommend contacting EPMinnesota, the cacher that coordinates the events for the MnGCA.
As for posting event, the MnGCA only helps for publicity. If you go to geocaching.com and click on the report new listing option, you should see a drop down box for cache types. In there is event caches. Have you been to an event before? It's always best to check out how they host one before you dive into it yourself. I've been to three and I'm hosting my first on 7-23. It's called Cache-Luck- you should come!
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitar Solo wrote:
Have you been to an event before?

Yes I have. I'll just do my own then!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigilwig44 wrote:
Guitar Solo wrote:

I don't believe MNGCA has any copyright or trademark on the term Breakfast Buddies, do they? Call you event whatever you like.
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is there a submit an event page if only the board can do an event?
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
sigilwig44 wrote:
Guitar Solo wrote:

I don't believe MNGCA has any copyright or trademark on the term Breakfast Buddies, do they? Call you event whatever you like.

Not sure.
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota would know for sure, but I believe given the history of the bb events they would like at least one board member present. Cup of Joe though can be hosted by anyone, and breakfast goes well with coffee Shocked The main thing is you are trying to get an event published, and that brings many cachers together for some fun and bs stories which are always enjoyed. Good luck and have fun.
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunter-Killer wrote:
EPMinnesota would know for sure, but I believe given the history of the bb events they would like at least one board member present. Cup of Joe though can be hosted by anyone, and breakfast goes well with coffee Shocked The main thing is you are trying to get an event published, and that brings many cachers together for some fun and bs stories which are always enjoyed. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone can host an event! While I wouldn't recommend calling it "Breakfast Buddies" you can certainly host a breakfast event. "Breakfast Buddies" is a name that was coined by the person that started the event and is the longest running monthly event in geocaching.com history.
That said, yes, you can submit an event on the mngca website. Once you've had your event approved you can "submit an event" then choose the dropdown box and choose Minnesota Event. Then fill in the rest of the information asked for including GC# date, time, and if you're listing the event under a different caching name. For instance, there are events hosted by a few different cachers (redheads) and we post them under the "SW Metro Redheads" no matter who actually posts the event. If you have any questions about hosting or posting, just pm me and I'd be happy to answer your questions.
Oh, one thing to check out before you choose a date, time and place for your event is to see what other events might be happening that day. I try to coordinate or change events based on what else is happening in the area so as not to detract from other events so that people won't have to choose between your event and someone else's. Not everyone does that but I try to be considerate of others events.
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so when I submit an event what does that do? Just show it on this site?
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, it's basically just advertising BUT it reaches more people especially if it's out of someone's notification range. For instance, if they only receive notifications of caches, events, etc. within 10 miles and your event is 15 miles away from them then they won't hear about your event unless they happen to do a search, read the weekly newsletter, or hear about it from someone else.
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From reading the above discussion I'm not sure if the basic information is clear. There are two types of events:

Official geocaching.com events--listed on geocaching.com, approved by the reviewer, and you can earn a smiley. Anyone can host an event, but the general rule is that it must be reviewed, accepted and published at least 2 weeks prior to the event.

Unofficial geocaching gatherings--spontaneous or short-notice events that are generally just published in the MnGCA forums (example: weekNIGHT caching)

Official events may be submitted/advertised on the MnGCA home page by using the "submit an event" feature. This doesn't create or approve a geocaching.com event, only posts a notice of one that is already approved and upcoming.
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:

Call it Schmeakfast Schmuddies.
sigilwig44
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:
bflentje wrote:

LOL .
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:
bflentje wrote:

Or Bacon Buddies, since that is what most of us go for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: