MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Biking and Caching
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my very first Garmin Map series, I also bought the handle bar mount and two cradles. Best $$ i've spent on accessories for my GPSr!!
The website is no more, but the last time I was on the Garmin website, they had them. I bought two cradles because I thought that was the weakest point in this set up, turns out after 5 months or so, I snapped the 1st one at the round knob on the top back of the GPSr unit. So good so far on the 2nd one.
$20-$30 if memory serves me right.

Peace
ST11
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture of the bicycle looks just like mine except there would be a bloody clump laying in the middle of the trail next to it.
ST11
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eBay has gps mounts for a dollar to nine dollars. Cradle type for Ipod and phones but they also work for the 60's with mild mod (flame wrench)
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$17.99 at the Garmin site https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1004
we pay a good amount of $$$ for our GPSr units, IMHO don't do the modification. Especially for the pedal bike mount. All the bouncing and pounding I put my bike through, any modification would make the mount that much weaker. Again, this is just MHO.
I'd hate to see my GPSr go bouncing down the trail!! Smile

Peace[/url]
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use RAM mounts in the truck, on the motorcycle and on the bicycle... Got them through gpscity.com, and they work really well. Also, RAM has a great warranty, bust it, they will replace it (just pay shipping).

I can interchange the cradle between all vehicles, easy to move back and forth, but each one (truck, bike and bike) has a mount specific to the transportation mode...
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrest wrote:
I use RAM mounts in the truck, on the motorcycle and on the bicycle... Got them through gpscity.com, and they work really well. Also, RAM has a great warranty, bust it, they will replace it (just pay shipping).

I can interchange the cradle between all vehicles, easy to move back and forth, but each one (truck, bike and bike) has a mount specific to the transportation mode...

I was reluctant to go with RAM mounts for my laptop in the Tahoe because of cost. Now that I splurged and have it installed in my truck, it's the coolest thing ever.
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrest wrote:

Great to know about RAM, thank you!!
I may have been under the rock, but I've never heard of them!! Lol
I also got a Garmin vehicle dash mount for the wifes rig. Like you say clip in on the bike, then clip in the wifes rig. Very convenient.

Peace
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joboo wrote:
jrest wrote:

Great to know about RAM, thank you!!
I may have been under the rock, but I've never heard of them!! Lol
I also got a Garmin vehicle dash mount for the wifes rig. Like you say clip in on the bike, then clip in the wifes rig. Very convenient.

Peace

Yep, I'll toss my recommendation for the RAM system too. They are very durable, but yes they are a bit pricey. But you get what you pay for. I have a RAM mount on my Harley that includes audio and power to the GPS too.
ST11
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then there is Red Green

bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap, someone been busy. Check out the Sakatah bike trail out of Faribault to Mankato. SWEET.
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAM mount inbound!

I stepped up to Candy pedals and bought a decent comprimise hiking/cycling shoe and they worked VERY well last weekend. Here's hoping the weather forecast for this weekend ISN'T correct, and it stays dry-ish at least one of the days.

Somehow caching has made biking even better (even when I screw up and delete all of the caches in the unit by accident and have to type them in manually from my VERY SLOW phone). Razz
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only does joboo have a great bike he has a great series of off asphalt caches. With my somewhat skinny-tired bike, I find myself mumbling under my breath, "I'm going to kill myself yet," do to a lack of skill. The roads are fine, especially, if you don't have a dedicated road bike. Check out his Pedalin On Series, rumor is there may be more to come, then, if you are in the area go to his Room with a View caches. Biking, kayaking, and skiing are my favorite ways to access caches. BTW Bring a camera.

joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.S. Thanks for the plug!! Smile
That's one thing I'm not big on is self promotion!! Wink
4 more sitting in the reviewers hands as of an hour ago. Total so far is 11.
It's looking like the final total will be around 40-50 when it's all said and done. Total miles should be right around 30-40. Easily doable in a day for an experienced off-road rider.
Although #7 looks to give people trouble!! By design!! Lol

Anyway, if any out of town cachers are in the mood for a non paved pedal and caching adventure let me know, and I'd gladly pedal along with you.
So you take all the right turns and don't get too lost.
Just give me enough lead time, and I'd gladly be your guide.
A bribe or two could even get ya a hint!! Wink
Hey, I think I just did some self promotion??? Hmmm scary!! Lol

Peace
3humphs
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love to bike and cache. I have tried the, dropping off one car on one end a trail, and cache than retrieve the other car. I bike when ever I can.

About four years ago I made a motorized bicycle for the halibut. Now I take that out caching too. I even have an ammo can as a trunk. Now that's Red Green.[/img]
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biking and crashing....I mean caching is great. I should be icing my leg from today's outing. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: