MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sick of paying through the nose for Comcast Cable TV
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
Anyone else using some type of DVR setup besides the one that Comcast offers?

We have Directv and we love it. We have 3 DVR's and about 250 channels. It cost about $80 a month. We lose service for a total of about 10 minutes a year due to heavy rain or snow. When that happens, we just watch something from the dvr.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOSNOW wrote:
We have Comcast Basic-Basic-Basic service + internet. The only reason we have basic service (local channels only) is that itís cheaper to have it then not to. We have a DVR that we got somewhere, maybe Ultimate, about 6 years ago. Which work great, it also work with an antenna.

That's another scam. You should be able to buy a DVR instead of renting.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I downgraded Comcast to basic cable (no DVR) and bought a Tivo to record shows. I'm setting it up and was going to use an old Linksys wireless B bridge to connect to my Linksys wireless N router but it's not working. Any network pros out there know if I can use wireless B with wireless N? I know wireless G is compatible with N but not sure about B.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
So I downgraded Comcast to basic cable (no DVR) and bought a Tivo to record shows. I'm setting it up and was going to use an old Linksys wireless B bridge to connect to my Linksys wireless N router but it's not working. Any network pros out there know if I can use wireless B with wireless N? I know wireless G is compatible with N but not sure about B.

I use DD-WRT on of one my routers to bridge. I do know that both routers have to be in the same mode (I haven't tried to bridge like you're doing between modes, but I do recall reading it somewhere). You also loose half the bandwidth of the router when you do it I believe....

Google DD-WRT if you're not familiar with it.
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:

I've got a spare TiVo wireless adapter I could sell you... Make life easier for you...
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qwerty2582 wrote:
I've got a spare TiVo wireless adapter I could sell you... Make life easier for you...

Awesome, do you accept cache containers and/or geocoins? Smile I think they were $50 at Best Buy? Is it wireless G or N?
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of that before but it sounds like it is for Linux? Or is it Linux software you install on the router? I just need to connect the Tivo and my wife would be mad if I brought down the whole network. Smile

Pear Head wrote:
I use DD-WRT on of one my routers to bridge. I do know that both routers have to be in the same mode (I haven't tried to bridge like you're doing between modes, but I do recall reading it somewhere). You also loose half the bandwidth of the router when you do it I believe....

Google DD-WRT if you're not familiar with it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Twin Cities Metro Area All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: