MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new features on geocaching.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Rustynails wrote:
I hope we get the smilies back. I don't care for the beta map.

You've mentioned this a couple of times but I'm not sure where you're still not seeing the smilies. Either I don't understand where you're looking or...they're back.

I just looked at the beta map and was able to see (and remove) my hides and finds with no problem.

I'm not seeing smiles on the original map. I know beta has them. I just prefer the original map. Looks like smiles gone for good now (original map).
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only been on the new site for a few minutes, but it seems like it was mostly just rearranging. I don't think the changes will have any impact on how I use the site. Of course, I'm a basic membership dinosaur, so maybe premium members will find improvements.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:
I'm a basic membership dinosaur,

interesting..
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:
I have only been on the new site for a few minutes, but it seems like it was mostly just rearranging.

Seems like that's all they do is rearrange stuff and try to make it look pretty. It looked fine the way it was!
beagleboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:
I have only been on the new site for a few minutes, but it seems like it was mostly just rearranging. I don't think the changes will have any impact on how I use the site. Of course, I'm a basic membership dinosaur, so maybe premium members will find improvements.

As a premium member I gave the new site a trial run this AM. I do like the new graphics, interface and layout. But, apparently no improvement on the 13 mouse clicks & 4 screen displays it still takes to get a clean map with only the unfound cache symbols being displayed.

It still requires the shutting off of "10 unwanted hamster symbol servers". I am not a programmer and do not understand how everything ticks. But, why have those "10 very busy hamsters" continue to serve a hamburger with everything on it? Then, pick off and toss the lettuce, pickle, cheese, and onions? Very Happy

But, they still may be tweaking the site? Time will tell.

Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it will improve, but I don't care for the new maps. I thought the point was to be able to see an unlimited display, which...you can. But when I personalize it, I can zoom out less distance to see the map of smiley/waiting to be found than was possible with the old maps. I know I'm not the only one out there that just likes to open up a map of an area we've cached and see how covered (or not) it is with smileys. It doesn't take much to amuse some of us and now I don't have that little diversion. Crying or Very sad

Also, are the orange dots the symbol for disabled caches? I suppose I could click on one and figure it out, but there's no indication on the legend. Also, I don't care for the fact that it's color coded instead of displaying a unique icon on the map. I'm guessing this has become necessary as the number of placements grows, but....I don't like change! Too old, or too many changes in my life all at once or something! Crying or Very sad
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beagleboo wrote:
spinowner wrote:

As a premium member I gave the new site a trial run this AM. I do like the new graphics, interface and layout. But, apparently no improvement on the 13 mouse clicks & 4 screen displays it still takes to get a clean map with only the unfound cache symbols being displayed.

It still requires the shutting off of "10 unwanted hamster symbol servers". I am not a programmer and do not understand how everything ticks. But, why have those "10 very busy hamsters" continue to serve a hamburger with everything on it? Then, pick off and toss the lettuce, pickle, cheese, and onions? Very Happy

I like my hamsterburger with lettuce, pickle, cheese and onion...
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the icons get smaller and less detailed when you zoom out and the different colors are for different types. Green for traditional, yellow for multis and white for virtuals.

Trekkin' and Birdin' wrote:
Also, are the orange dots the symbol for disabled caches? I suppose I could click on one and figure it out, but there's no indication on the legend. Also, I don't care for the fact that it's color coded instead of displaying a unique icon on the map.

Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the new beta maps. C'mon, you can see 1.3 million caches all at once! That is certainly nicer than the measly 500 from the old maps. This makes trip planning so much easier for me. Not to mention the total area of my computer screen that the map occupies makes searching much easier since I can stay zoomed in. Sure it takes 13 clicks...if you feel the need to turn off all of the cache icons and collapse the map menu. But why? I want them there so I can find the caches. I wish it would automatically enable personalization and that i could send them to my GPSr from the map, but I hardly feel like Groundspeak did a poor job with the redesign. The only thing I really hate about it is the white borders ont he sides of the cache pages and the semi transparent background on the cache page.
swfan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the caches with orange thingy's on them? That logo is not listed or shown any where. it seems rather random on which cache's there on.
Manfromwillow
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swfan wrote:
What are the caches with orange thingy's on them? That logo is not listed or shown any where. it seems rather random on which cache's there on.
i think those are pmo's
swfan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your right. I had not thought of that.
MrRogersNghbor
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one having trouble finding the pocket query tab? I did a search and want to run a pocket query but haven't had any luck. I'm at work so that part may be blocking me but I'm not sure.
seamusbleu
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocket queries
MrRogersNghbor
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seamusbleu wrote:
Pocket queries

Thank you but I can't seem to link to it after searching for a particular area at the moment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: