MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taking TBs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you took a TravelBug from your own cache?
Yes
84%
 84%  [ 38 ]
No
15%
 15%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 45

kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple folks in the area that like to move trackables, so this area has a fair amount. But, it seems they get trapped here, unfortuneatly it seems alot of folks don't like to move them anymore. I placed a tb hotel to help move them out of the area, but there seems to be more finds and not moving any of the tb's inside.
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we've taken any out of our own caches, but that doesn't bother us if others do. They're meant to travel. I used to worry more about "take a trackable, leave a trackable," but now I drop them where I think they'll be safe, yet move along, where they might work toward completing their mission, whether we've taken a trackable or not. If we find one that's interesting and we can move it, we'll grab it. They aren't trade items, so we've gotten over that hang up.

What does bug me, as is true for any of us, is TB thieves. We've had so many go missing. One has returned from the dead, one completed its mission, but the others? Gone. Gone with the breeze. I only know of one that's still flying around to caches these days. I've tried to track down the errant ones, with no success.

Paul, we've learned not to drop them in TB hotels any more, unless they're quite secure. Our experience has been the TB bandits watch those and clean them out. Same with the State Park caches. Which is pretty sad, isn't it?
kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to move trackables and have taken out of my own cache to help move.
Yeah, hate thieves, I have a coin that has been sitting in a cache down in Georgia for a long time and nobody has mentioned seeing it there lately. That's one thing I do so if the owner of the trackable is looking back through they can hopefully see that it was there at that time.
I can say I've had pretty good luck at hotels, and even mine actually but what bugs me is when someone steals a whole cache and doesn't even leave the remainders behind including the trackables.
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trekkin' and Birdin' wrote:
I don't think we've taken any out of our own caches, but that doesn't bother us if others do. They're meant to travel. I used to worry more about "take a trackable, leave a trackable," but now I drop them where I think they'll be safe, yet move along, where they might work toward completing their mission, whether we've taken a trackable or not. If we find one that's interesting and we can move it, we'll grab it. They aren't trade items, so we've gotten over that hang up.

What does bug me, as is true for any of us, is TB thieves. We've had so many go missing. One has returned from the dead, one completed its mission, but the others? Gone. Gone with the breeze. I only know of one that's still flying around to caches these days. I've tried to track down the errant ones, with no success.

Paul, we've learned not to drop them in TB hotels any more, unless they're quite secure. Our experience has been the TB bandits watch those and clean them out. Same with the State Park caches. Which is pretty sad, isn't it?

My problem isn't so much the bug thieves but people that hear about geocaching at the visitors centers at State Parks, give it a try, clear out all the TBs in the SP cache, and never return to the sport. I've also had bugs dropped at events that have disappeared - I usually try to ensure that I actually hand a bug off to somebody when I take them to events.
NYSandy23
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an out of state cache which I visit every few months. I usually drop TB's I have accumulated here that want to move east and I bring back any that want to move west. I usually do not move any that appear in any of my MN caches.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trekkin' and Birdin' wrote:

I always look at the number of finds the grabber has when one of mine gets picked up. 4, 4, 9, 0, 10 and 82 for those that died in the hands of a cacher. For those that have died in a cache, I have sent messages to CO and asked if the cache was muggled, and the 2 responses I received were affirmative. I just had a coin come back from the dead after a 2 year vacation. Also, Iíve had more go missing in Europe than the US. Even with these dismal results, I still put them out because I still like finding them and I know others do too. Theyíre fun while they last, just like soap bubbles.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
Iíve had more go missing in Europe than the US.

Interesting. That's the complete opposite of my experience.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
RudeRat wrote:
Iíve had more go missing in Europe than the US.

Interesting. That's the complete opposite of my experience.

Same here...the ones in Europe are still on the move...course, I have one that just can't seem to get out of Germany for a couple years now...but, it is still alive!!!
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one that completed its mission went to Australia and still travels around. The other one still out there is staying in the US, which is fine. It just wants to go to tougher caches. It sat all winter in one somewhere in Alaska in the middle of nowhere, which didn't bother us. We knew where it was!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: