MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rewards Points, GPS Recommendation, etc.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The base maps are the suck, IIRC.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like my 400T for the easy of use and loading caches. I don't remember exact numbers but I believe it holds in the neighborhood of 1500 caches. The "T" in the name I understand to mean topo. Mine came with street maps but they aren't that accurate. When I'm on a road, the screen shows me off the road a bit. The maps just don't look real clean for finding your way on a complicated route. It's been suggested to me that the free maps are great, but I don't have experience with them. The maps that came with my 400T don't have autorouting, but we bought CityNav for Jeff's 400T and that is nice to have for routing to a cache.

My biggest complaint is how slow the GPSr is. I can easily out walk it and when caching with people who have a 60csx, they get to GZ more quickly than I do. Often I find myself turning right and then eventually circling around to the left. But it makes up for it with the paperless caching and the ease of use.

Sparky, you're more than welcome to borrow mine for a weekend to try it out. That's the best way to know. Jeff has another we can use and we have our old eTrex's.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkyfry wrote:
What do you mean by base maps? Does that include every street? I know without the street maps, the 60CSX includes only major highways.

Base maps are what you get on your 60csx without street maps.. Only major highways.
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quit buying maps.

http://mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5237

I swear by then, I know PCC322 uses them, and they generally work quite well. Of course there are some occasional inconsistencies, but still leaps and bounds better than base maps.

I know they work on Oregons, they should work on 60/62's.
JJnTJ
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the free topo maps from GPSFileDepot.com on my 60CSx. They're pretty good for roads and excellent topographic maps.

The free topo maps are not routable, but that's why I got a cheap Nuvi; it's got a mount that keeps it in view, a bigger screen, and a nice backlight. Keeping three GPSrs in "sync" is a little annoying, but GSAK makes that tolerable.
m&tcacheseekers
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody is talking about the Oregons and the 60/62 systems, Isn't there anybody out there that has or tried the Delorme pn60 gps units.
I see they can hold unlimited paperless cache information, maynot be able to do wherigo, but a lot of those can be lame..LOL and if delorme has been putting out paper maps for a while why wouldn't they be able to put out a decent gps unit. i have see the pn60 for as low as 290 on amazon and even at walmart.
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJnTJ wrote:
I use the free topo maps from GPSFileDepot.com on my 60CSx. They're pretty good for roads and excellent topographic maps.

The free topo maps are not routable, but that's why I got a cheap Nuvi; it's got a mount that keeps it in view, a bigger screen, and a nice backlight. Keeping three GPSrs in "sync" is a little annoying, but GSAK makes that tolerable.

I love this map. been using it for years.
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The free street maps I posted above are routeable, FYI Smile I use that feature all the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: