MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Toughest day yet caching this year... (rant)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Toughest day yet caching this year... (rant) Reply with quote

Toughest day caching this year, stopped by to check up on a cache I have at a rest area in Dresbach, Mn and it was missing. Guess someone needed an ammo can more than I did! Then proceeded up the I to Rochester and headed along 14 for Mankato/New Ulm. Well, only ended up with 2 in that stretch.. The first one I searched for I think I know where it is but will have to come back in the spring, second was blocked by snow in Owatonna (think big and loads of favorites). I guess I'm just used to winter friendly ones this winter in my home range lately, if I wasn't a fish out of water over this way I noticed some nice spots just to place winter friendlies. I'm hoping tomorrow is a better day here in the Mankato-New Ulm area so I can turn around my dnfing.. I know I know, he only searched for a few, well I've been having luck this winter until today when I ran into all this snow!!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an attempt to not let this [expletive] winter beat me, this last January and February I've had my biggest caching months ever in terms of number of finds.
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try not to let the winter get me down. My advise is to bring a grain shovel. You may laugh, but I have been able to get to a lot of different caches that way. Cachers aren't very active along the route you described. bflentje being the maniac that he is goes out in anything. I would question his sanity, but I know people question mine. Just think only 3 more months of snow caching. Laughing
kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I had a great January one of our highest totals in a while. I brought along a trenching shovel, magnet and snowshoes for doing some, just the ones I had picked out as possibles where impossibles. I have one here in Manakato I plan on getting off my dnf list, I'm so hot after it that I've decided I may have to do it northwoods Wis. style and use a metal detector which means I'll have to go to Scheel's.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in the back of the Tahoe..

- snowshoes
- walking sticks
- two shovels, one that has been modded
- extra socks, shoes, boots, gloves and hats

But I still hate winter. I keep suggesting to my wife that we should move away in the winter. She keeps telling me to go ahead and move. I wonder what she means by that?? Shocked
team_geomonkey
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boreal Walker wrote:
... Just think only 3 more months of snow caching. Laughing

Shocked Shocked That would put us at memorial day weekend. I was going to contemplate heading south if there is still snow mid-April!! We were almost there a week ago - this last blast has taken it all out of me and Geocaching DT's are setting in.
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, having dug for 2.5 hours a couple weeks ago to claim one in the Menasha Wisconsin area that involved three stages and about 2 miles of walking, I can honestly say that was more rewarding than most of the winter friendly ones around here have been. Since I share the home area with the OP, I know what he means. We'll look for them all, but the epic ones are always the ones that keep us playing. DNFs are not a mark of shame, but part of the game. Good luck with your mission today!
kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never did get to finding any new caches in the Mankato/New Ulm area, we ended up hitting Scheels and the mall before the games as it was snowing all day there. If Scheels carried geocaching stickers and items I may rank it up on my favorite store, but it is in the running for third at the moment.
Never did go look for my last years dnf as I kept eyeing it up as I drove the highway and it looked as bad as it did last year if not worse. Did do a major trackable move to the trackable hotel in New Ulm, if anyone is ever down in that area I recommend doing that as the owner is great as when I opened the can right on top was a note with my name on it! We've decided that we will try to get over that way this summer camping and try to enjoy the area some more. Thanks everyone! Spring has to be coming soon as I picked up biking items yesterday!
kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and yes to T/B's comments, I have more fun doing the digging in the snow and spending time looking then being able to walk up and grab it off a post or bush. However, it is nice to be able to have caches that you know will be findable on a winter afternoon.
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quick grabs definitely have their place on a cold windy day. It does seem like they've become the ovewhelming majority, though.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found 14 out of 25 yesterday. Just part of the game.
kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bummed that I didn't get a chance to use the snowshoes out west, I think it would have been fun to be digging and searching a bit.
That's not a bad rate for the amount of snow, I'm hoping that when we are in Faribault in a couple weeks that the snow will be less to make them a little more accessible.
I'm thinking of placing some in the different Mn. state forest units down this way, I'm thinking they won't be p/g's but still nice ones to go after in the winter. Loads of ideas, just need to implement them!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Southern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: