MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WHERIGO, is there an app for that?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: WHERIGO, is there an app for that? Reply with quote

I appears to me that WHERIGO cartridges can be run from a pocket PC. A logical step would be the ability to run a cartridge on an iPhone or iTouch. I have looked for and NOT found an app for that.

Does anyone know if there is an app for that?
BananaForce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiGo

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pigo/id385035547?mt=8

I haven't tried it, but it is suppose to work for many cartridges.
Manfromwillow
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this doesn't help out the Iphoners but there is a free app for the android crowd called "WhereYouGo" haven't tried it...just reporting...
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm sure it won't work on my iTouch (no GPS) but I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks again.
BananaForce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always buy one of these for your ipod touch.

http://www.gpscradle.dualav.com/

I've been tempted, but haven't bit the bullet yet.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manfromwillow wrote:
I know this doesn't help out the Iphoners but there is a free app for the android crowd called "WhereYouGo" haven't tried it...just reporting...

Yes, and it seems to be updated regularly. Used it twice.. once successfully and once not. Not sure if it was a cart problem, app problem, or my problem.
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: PiGo app Reply with quote

I tried the PiGo app and it loads and runs the cartridges.

Now I'm going to have to look into the GPS cradle that BananaForce mentioned since the cartridge won't do anything but open without coordinate data.

Last edited by EskoClimber on Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: GPS receivers for the iTouch Reply with quote

Now I'm trying to get a GPSr that will work. I've looked at the Dual XGPS300 GPS and there seems to be mixed reviews. It does work but its a bit clunky and the price as around $125

I also found one that plugs into the docking connector called Bad Elf. This one will work but it has two drawbacks. First, it runs off the iTouch battery which is going to considerably limit its usefulness. Second, it is a dongle that hangs off the 30 pin port like an accident waiting to happen. The Bad Elf sells sells for about $100.

Next I tripped over GNS 5870 MFI Bluetooth GPS Receiver Made for iPhone/iPad/iTouch which, according to the manufacturer has jumped through Apple's hoops and completed the compatibility requirements set by apple. This has two good things going for it. First, it has it's own internal battery which lasts about 10 hours. Second, it is bluetooth so the GPSr doesn't physically connect to the iTouch. This one is about $100. The only problem I can see with this one is finding a review where someone has actually used it.
I have to say, I'm leaning towards this one.

I also found i-Blue 737A+ Bluetooth GPS Receiver (Manufacturer: TSI) for about $50. This seems to be a good unit (chipset, channels, etc) but I can't find anywhere if it will work with my iTouch. This would be great IF IT WORKS. I'm not blowing $50 to find out so I'm hoping that someone out there can help...
BananaForce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think the mixed reviews is that has kept me from getting the Dual Cradle. I like the concept, but I have a hard time taking that step for something I don't know much about. Also, I only have a 1st gen ipod touch. It does not support OS 4, so as apps slowly get upgraded to the new OS I have less and less options.

Maybe some day Apple will come out with an ipod Touch with a GPSr, but that will only happen right after I buy some sort of gadget like what you are looking at.

http://www.amazon.com/XGPS200-Portable-Battery-Cradle-touch/dp/B004J0XLNA/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1298501344&sr=1-4

If you don't need the car kit you can get the Dual Cradle for $89.99 at amazon.

I'll have to check out that other ones you have pointed out. I haven't studied those yet.
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've looked at the Dual XGPS300 GPS and there seems to be mixed reviews. It does work but its a bit clunky and the price as around $125

I haven't been able to find out about battery life for the XGPS300.

The GNS 5870 MFI is iPod Touch compatible according to Apple. So I think I'm going to order one of these and then we'll see for sure.
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The GNS 5870 MFI is iPod Touch compatible according to Apple.

I just found it. It is iPod Touch 2G and 3G but NOT first generation compatible.
BananaForce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EskoClimber wrote:
Quote:
The GNS 5870 MFI is iPod Touch compatible according to Apple.

I just found it. It is iPod Touch 2G and 3G but NOT first generation compatible.

Yup! No blue tooth on the 1st gen. No speaker either... another reason the poorly reviewed Dual device looks nice for me.
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: GNS 5870 MFI GPS BT Receiver Reply with quote

The GNS 5870 MFI GPS BT Receiver actually works. I received it today, threw it out on deck to lock up. While it was doing that I paired it to my 3G iPod Touch.

In order for the GNS 5870 MFI GPS BT Receiver to talk to the iTouch:
    The bluetooth has to switched on the GPSr and "paired" to the iTouch. This only has to be done the first time.
    The "Location Services" have to be set to "ON". The iTouch will replace the wifi method of determining location with the data suppled by the bluetooth GPSr

The GNS 5870 MFI GPS BT Receiver works with the Topo Maps, PiGo (WHERIGO app), Geosphere (geocaching app) and the Maps app that came with the iTouch. The one thing I noticed with the map app that is preinstalled on the iTouch is that it still requires a wifi connection to download a map.
The Topo Maps works fine without a wifi but that application requires that topo maps be downloaded BEFORE accessing the app. That makes the maps resident ON the iTouch.

I use the iTouch as a PDA usually far from any sort of a signal (wifi or cell) which is why I pick applications that require data be resident on the iTouch rather than on the web.

Now all I have to do is go out and see if the GNS 5870 MFI GPS BT Receiver is accurate enough for my purposes. Who knows, I might even plant a WHERIGO if I can figure out how to make this toy work.
BananaForce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This last weekend I ended up finding a Dual Cradle at BestBuy for $29.99 on clearance. I couldn't pass that up. The GPS is a bit flaky, but it works. Having the external speaker is as much as added plus as the GPS is for my first gen touch which has no external speaker.

Unfortunately the PiGo app does not work in my 1st gen touch since it requires iOS 4.

But for $30 this is pretty cool. I'm glad I didn't pay $125 for it. Anyhow, they said there were a few left at other stores... so if you have a touch and want a good deal... check it out. FYI, the clearance models don't work on the 4th gen touch.
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my first Wherigo with the GNS 5870 MFI GPS BT Receive last week.

I used it when I was in Sioux Falls, SD to find the Lost Cacher. It worked just about as well as the Colorado. Getting to ground zero and standing in the right spot worked as well as I've seen using the normal gear.

I will say the GNS 5870 MFI GPS BT Receive is not anywhere as accurate as my GPS 60Cx. It flakes out about the same as my old 12 XL but it does work. I have also had a problem where it stops talking to my iPod Touch and I have to reset the thing. Reset requires a paper clip. BE SURE to bring a paper clip!

Battery life is better than the Touch so that is good and the fact the Touch can hold every cache in the US in it makes it handy for road trips.

I've been using it to show the caches closest to me while I'm on the road. The accuracy is good enough for those cruddy micro park-n-grabs that everybody puts out these days. The Touch is great to use as a PDA. Between the two, the work ok.

I still use the real GPS for anything tricky (or I just can't find) because it is much more stable and accurate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: