MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fire on Big Island

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Media Relations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 29 Oct 2007

Posts: 1991
Location: Mound MN

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Fire on Big Island Reply with quote

Not specifically geocaching related, but I know many of you have gone to Big Island to cache. It's a shame, but someone started a building on fire out there.

http://www.waconiapatriot.com/articles/2011/02/11/the_laker/news/news05.txt
_________________
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
seamusbleu
Geocacher


Joined: 23 Nov 2007

Posts: 202

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been out there. Do you have to drive to it, or is it reasonable walk?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 29 Oct 2007

Posts: 1991
Location: Mound MN

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seamusbleu wrote:
I've never been out there. Do you have to drive to it, or is it reasonable walk?


It's a bit of a walk, probably 1/2 mile or more depending on where you start from. But of course that's walking on rough, snow covered ice so it's a hard walk. As for driving, you should be find right now.
_________________
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
seamusbleu
Geocacher


Joined: 23 Nov 2007

Posts: 202

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I figured. Can you suggest a landing to start from?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 29 Oct 2007

Posts: 1991
Location: Mound MN

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seamusbleu wrote:
Yeah, I figured. Can you suggest a landing to start from?


This is the closest spot that I know of.
44.917859,-93.582142

Otherwise you can park in Excelsior and walk from there.
_________________
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
seamusbleu
Geocacher


Joined: 23 Nov 2007

Posts: 202

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out there with Rustynails. I'm glad you brought this up - I've meant to get out there forever and today was a beautiful day to get out there. We ended up driving out from the landing across the road from Haskell's. I think we saw the area that had the fire, but to be honest, there wasn't any visible signs of fire. We were more interested in getting to the next GZ that looking for signs of fire, so we might just have missed it.

Change of subject, but something that came up on the way off the lake. Is there some significance to Christmas trees out on a lake? I saw one out there, and a whole ring of them out on some other lake recently.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board


Joined: 29 Oct 2007

Posts: 1991
Location: Mound MN

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seamusbleu wrote:
Change of subject, but something that came up on the way off the lake. Is there some significance to Christmas trees out on a lake? I saw one out there, and a whole ring of them out on some other lake recently.


Generally, no. People just dump them on the ice. Sometimes people will put them on the ice to help mark roads or structures. Some towns do have bon fires on the ice with old Christmas trees, but in most cases it's just trash.
_________________
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrest
Geocacher


Joined: 11 Jun 2005

Posts: 392
Location: Western 'burbs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long Lake has there "Sno-ball Open" think it was two or three weeks ago, and they use old christmas trees to mark the fairways on a golf course. Yeah, golfing on a frozen lake, typically with yellow tennis balls. Each hole typically sponsored by a local business, great fun...
_________________
round n' round we go!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheGilby4
Geocacher


Joined: 01 Nov 2005

Posts: 718
Location: Southwest Metro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
seamusbleu wrote:
Change of subject, but something that came up on the way off the lake. Is there some significance to Christmas trees out on a lake? I saw one out there, and a whole ring of them out on some other lake recently.


Generally, no. People just dump them on the ice. Sometimes people will put them on the ice to help mark roads or structures. Some towns do have bon fires on the ice with old Christmas trees, but in most cases it's just trash.


Another reason might be for a fisherman wanting to add structure "the trees" to bottom of the lake where there may not be any. Fallen trees on the bottom of the lake are great for fishing. If someone were to put some trees on the ice before it melts, and then mark the spot with a gps, they may have their own private little hot spot for fishing.
_________________
"There is a pleasure in the pathless woods..." - Lord Byron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sapalas
Geocacher


Joined: 29 Apr 2008

Posts: 32

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Ice Fishing point of view the trees are sometimes put out to mark a weak area in the ice, or to mark the location where someone was spearing fish (3'x4' hole in the ice) they are required to mark their holes.
But you won't find any spearing on Minnetonka.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
emmanogoldfish
Geocacher


Joined: 26 Oct 2007

Posts: 106

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapalas wrote:
From the Ice Fishing point of view the trees are sometimes put out to mark a weak area in the ice, or to mark the location where someone was spearing fish (3'x4' hole in the ice) they are required to mark their holes.


There is no law requiring the marking of holes.

sapalas wrote:
But you won't find any spearing on Minnetonka.


Spearing is not allowed on Minnetonka but large holes are still cut for underwater viewing and ice diving.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
emmanogoldfish
Geocacher


Joined: 26 Oct 2007

Posts: 106

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGilby4 wrote:
Another reason might be for a fisherman wanting to add structure "the trees" to bottom of the lake where there may not be any. Fallen trees on the bottom of the lake are great for fishing. If someone were to put some trees on the ice before it melts, and then mark the spot with a gps, they may have their own private little hot spot for fishing.


The ice melts from the shore first and then shifts, buckles, heaves, crumbles and the debris that is deposited on the lake bed will be nowhere near the coordinates that were taken from solid ice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
loneeagle_24
Geocacher


Joined: 17 Jun 2003

Posts: 874
Location: Montevideo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The ice melts from the shore first and then shifts, buckles, heaves, crumbles and the debris that is deposited on the lake bed will be nowhere near the coordinates that were taken from solid ice.


Besides if it's along a river the ice will move way down stream before it actually breaks up enough for the tree to go to the bottom. The way this year is it might even end up in someones back yard?
_________________
King of the Jeff Gordon TB's!
They put that cache WHERE?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
team_geomonkey
Geocacher


Joined: 07 Dec 2009

Posts: 164

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Henn Co Sheriffs Office:
The Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office is urging people to use caution on all bodies of water due to thinning ice conditions.

Over the weekend, the Sheriff’s Office responded to three separate incidents in the Lake Minnetonka area. Two snowmobiles drove into open water and a backhoe fell through thin ice.

Among the areas of concern:
• There is thinning ice or open water in the channels of Lake Minnetonka.
• The Crow River is dangerous and should be avoided due to extremely thin ice.
• Small bodies of water, such as rivers, ponds and creeks are a hazard and should be avoided.

When ice is less than two inches thick, no one should attempt to walk on it.

Parents: Keep children away from thin ice. If your child is near the ice, you should be near your child.

Pet owners: Keep your dog on a leash and do not chase after a dog that wanders onto the ice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Media Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Geocaching Cache Icons, Copyright 2009, Groundspeak Inc. All rights reserved. Used with Permission.