MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upcoming downtime

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Upcoming downtime Reply with quote

Over the past couple of months we've seen some changes happening behind the scenes with the company that hosts the MnGCA site. The company that we've done business with for a number of years now (Steadfast) sold the shared hosting portion of their business (which included us) to Fluid Hosting.

Fluid Hosting is now in the process of migrating their new purchase from Steadfast's property in Chicago (where we've been for years) to their own systems (in New Jersey). This means some potential downtime in the coming couple of weeks. We're being told:

January 24th, 2011 (Monday) all name servers will move. Without going into the gritty details, they're not predicting any downtime associated with this move.

Our webserver will also be moved on that day. They don't actually transfer the hardware in this step, only the data on it. Once that happens the site may start to become slower for the next few days.

January 26th, 2011 (Wednesday) they are going to transfer the database servers (that is, the data on those servers). When that happens then we should see any delays that were introduced on Monday disappear. They're projecting about 30 minutes of downtime.

Both transfers are scheduled to begin at 9am CT.

Fluid is anticipating that we may see a performance increase once the transfer is complete and things are settled down. I'm personally not holding my breath but am anticipating status-quo at a minimum. They'll be doing some software/hardware changes after the move is complete and expect to be done (and thus perhaps we'll see the performance improvements) by March 15th.

The bottom line for you, the user, is that you shouldn't see any issues except perhaps some sporatic downtime during the last week of the month for your favorite Minnesota geocaching site.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not able to log in to the main mngca.org site - I can look at it without being logged in, but when I try to log in, I get this -

Quote:
The page isn't redirecting properly

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

* This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.

And I don't have cookies disabled. I'm assuming it's due to the site transfer, but it was working fine last night. And it only affects the main site - I was able to log on to the forums rinky dinky cheerio.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can reproduce this easily and we're working on it. Thanks.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the problem has been fixed now - please let us know if you see any more new issues.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I believe the problem has been fixed now - please let us know if you see any more new issues.

Still doing that same thing to me as of about 5 minutes before I wrote this. Or I suck at logging in. Take your pick, I won't be offended! Very Happy
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
Pear Head wrote:

Still doing that same thing to me as of about 5 minutes before I wrote this. Or I suck at logging in. Take your pick, I won't be offended! Very Happy

Yep same here. It was working after Pear Head posted it was fixed, but logging in this morning, same error for me.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timewellspent wrote:
MNMizzou wrote:
Pear Head wrote:

Yep same here. It was working after Pear Head posted it was fixed, but logging in this morning, same error for me.

I had to log in twice this morning before it 'took'. No message, I was sent to the forum, but not logged in the first time.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it got fixed for real this time. The problem appears to be related to a configuration problem with our account at the host - I'm hoping that they've got it nailed down now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Website All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: