MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Souvenir blurb for Minnesota

View previous topic :: View next topic  
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: New Souvenir blurb for Minnesota Reply with quote

Per a suggestion in another thread, I'm starting this one to generate ideas for a new blurb to include with the Minnesota State Souvenir. What got me is the blurb seems to highlight malls, when there there is so much more that Minnesota has to offer than indoor shopping. Here is their blurb as written -

Quote:
The northernmost of the contiguous states, Minnesota is home to both the United States' first indoor mall, Southdale Center, and largest mall, the Mall of America. Minnesotans are highly involved in outdoor activities, and Minnesota is therefore one of the healthiest states.

Maybe I just have a personal prejudice, but as a Minnesota cacher, I'd rather be associated with 10,000 lakes, Headwaters of the Mississippi, F. Scott and Zelda, Dylan, North Shore, etc. than malls.

Also, didn't Southdale ban all geocaches on mall property?
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the blurb on the artist more interesting than the blurb about our shopping malls, I mean state. Birdwatching, backpacking, and travel, as well as building animatronic dinosaurs and taming ostriches.

By the way, we’re ranked 6th by the United Health Foundation. Way to go guys! Stay out of those commercial malls and away from those food courts and we’ll make 4th for sure next year.

At least we’re educated enough to know that it’s “bird watching” not “birdwatching”, and animatronics not animatronic. Maybe that’s why we’re ranked first in the nation in the percentage of people 25 years old who completed high school.

It could be worse. Their highlight for Illinois is their self-sustaining nuclear reactor.
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture for MI is my favorite of the ones we have so far. I liked the use of the mittens - just like everyone from Michigan holds up a hand to point out where they live.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, not only I despise the MN blurb, every dang state I have so far is completely lame. I mean, don't these people at Groundspeak go out and geocache? What they hey.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: New Souvenir blurb for Minnesota Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:

Maybe I just have a personal prejudice, but as a Minnesota cacher, I'd rather be associated with 10,000 lakes, Headwaters of the Mississippi, F. Scott and Zelda, Dylan, North Shore, etc. than malls.

And Minnesota has at least two cities that have been named "Best Place to live in America" Smile
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
It could be worse. Their highlight for Illinois is their self-sustaining nuclear reactor.

Maine is the only monosyllabic state! Isn't that awesome?
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
RudeRat wrote:

Maine is the only monosyllabic state! Isn't that awesome?
I think our Jolly Green Giant trumps that?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New Souvenir blurb for Minnesota Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:

Yes, which in itself may be a demonstration about WHY we should push for a blurb of our own.

I have no idea (which I maybe should have made clearer when I made my post in the other thread) that Groundspeak will consider whatever text we submit as an organization, but to me it's worth a try anyway.

Personally I think the text should center around either geocaching stuff or the outdoors in general (highlights that *cachers* would like to read about). I'd rather see it stay away from business things for sure.
Jasowac
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for fun....

Minnesota has more shoreline than California, Hawaii, and Flordia combined

The stapler, scotch tape, roller blades, and water skiing were invented in Minnesota

All of the water in Minnesota's river system flows out of the state in three general directions from eight major river basins. No water flows into the state
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jasowac wrote:

No water flows into the state

Interesting! Never thought about it like that!
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: New Souvenir blurb for Minnesota Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
15Tango wrote:

Personally I think the text should center around either geocaching stuff or the outdoors in general (highlights that *cachers* would like to read about). I'd rather see it stay away from business things for sure.

Aren’t we known for a famous coffin cache? Wink
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: New Souvenir blurb for Minnesota Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
15Tango wrote:

ok ok, enough already. Like I said, it's only funny when "I" bring it up. Laughing
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New Souvenir blurb for Minnesota Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Rustynails wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
15Tango wrote:

ok ok, enough already. Like I said, it's only funny when "I" bring it up. Laughing
Sez you! Laughing
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the following forwarded to me, and I can't help but share it here -

Quote:
> Little known Facts about MN

Minnesota became the 32nd state on May 11, 1858 and was originally settled by a lost tribe of Norwegians seeking refuge from the searing heat of Wisconsin's winters.

The state flag of Minnesota consists of a blue background upon which sits a design best described as "how a 7-year- old city girl would draw a picture titled 'life on the farm'".

Minnesota gets it's name from the Sioux Indian word "mah-nee-soo-tah", meaning, "No, really... they eat fish soaked in lye".

The state song of Minnesota is "Someday the Vikings will... Aw, never mind".

The Mall of America in Bloomington , Minnesota covers 9.5 million square feet and has enough space to hold 185,000 idiot teenagers yapping away on cell phones.

Madison, Minnesota is known as "the lutefisk capital of the world". Avoid this city at all costs.

"The Mary Tyler Moore Show" was set in Minneapolis , Minnesota , and was Mary's first real acting job since leaving the "Dick van Dyke Show. The show about a single woman's struggle to find happiness in the big city was originally titled "Life Without Dick", but that was changed for some reason.

The state motto of Minnesota at one time was "Where even a man who wears a feather boa can be governor. Now it's "Where even Stuart Smalley can be Senator."

Downtown Minneapolis has an enclosed skyway system covering 52 blocks, allowing people to live, work, eat, and sleep without ever going outside. The only downside to this is that a Norwegian occasionally turns up missing.

Cartoonist Charles M. Shultz was born in Minneapolis , Minnesota and grew up in St. Paul . He was the only artist to accurately depict the perfectly circular heads of Minnesota natives.

The Hormel Company of Austin , Minnesota produces 6 million cans of Spam a year, even though no one actually eats it. Spam is a prized food in Japan .

Water skis were invented in 1922 in Lake City, Minnesota by Ralph Samuelson. Sadly, he drowned shortly afterwards, as the motorboat hadn't been invented yet.

St. Paul, Minnesota was originally named "Pig's Eye", after French Canadian whiskey trader Pierre "pig's eye" Parrant. Its' twin city, Minneapolis, was known as "pig's colon ".

The stapler was invented in Swingline, Minnesota by a chubby, mumbling man named Milton in 1899. The city was mysteriously destroyed by fire later that year.

Pelican Rapids is home to a 16-foot-tall concrete pelican, which subsists on a diet of 4-foot-long concrete fish.

In 1973, Olivia, Minnesota , erected a 25-foot tall fiberglass corn cob to celebrate its rich, agricultural heritage. Then in 1974, it was eaten by a 50-foot statue of Babe the blue ox. Yes, Minnesota has a lot of problems with statue cannibalism.

Minnesota license plates are blue &white and contain the phrase "Blizzards on Independence Day - you get used to it."

Frank C. Mars, founder of the Mars Candy Co. was born in Newport, Minnesota . His 3 Musketeers candy bar originally contained three bars in one wrapper, each filled with a different flavor of nougat - chocolate, Spam and lutefisk.

The first fully automatic pop-up toaster was invented in Minneapolis, Minnesota in 1926. Minnesota's stringent bread-control laws currently only allow residents to own semi-automatic toasters.

Tonka trucks continue to be manufactured in Minnetonka, Minnesota, despite the thousands of GI Joe dolls killed by them annually in rollover accidents. No airbags, no seat belts. These things are deathtraps, I tell ya!

Author Laura Ingalls Wilder was raised at Walnut Grove, Minnesota, and was famous for writing the "Little House" series of books, as well as inventing the "Spam diet" which consists of looking at a plate of Spam until you lose your appetite. Much like the "lutefisk diet".

The snowmobile was invented in Roseau, Minnesota so as to allow families a means of attending Independence Day picnics.

Minnesotans are almost indistinguishable from Wisconsinites. The only way to tell them apart is to ask if they voted for Mondale in '84.

Now... it's up to you to forward this to all your friends

If one of them does not forward it to others, he/she will be given an entrance pin to attend the Eelpout Festival in Walker, MN, February 18-20, 2011.

If your other friend doesn't forward this to others he/she will be given tickets to a Minnesota Timberwolves meet-and-greet and he/she won't know anyone there, unless yet another friend has not complied and received free tickets also.

If you think you have three friends or more, you're a little too extroverted and smug and you probably don't belong in Minnesota anyway

All others not in compliance with the "forward this or else" clause will receive a free T-shirt which says, "Brett Farve Farev Fvare #4 is the best thing to happen to Minnesota since Boof Bonser or Hershel Walker (No, he's not connected with the Eelpout Festival)."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: